*Question about Aldo's leg kicks

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
Everybody seem to believe and expect, when predicting an Aldo's fight outcome, that he's going to rip his opponents leg, wear him, take his mobility, using his nasty low kicks.

Said that, question is:
Why Aldo barely used his leg kicks against Frankie Edgar? I mean, his first leg kick was a single one (hard by the way) at the end of the 3rd round!!

Why he didn't used more leg kicks against a fighter like Edgar (who's fight game is based on his footwork)?

Against Holloway, he would fight just as a counter puncher?

He proved that's he doesn't need leg kicks to beat Edgar.

Plus Aldo probably guessed that Edgar was planning to get takedowns from the kicks.

He proved that's he doesn't need leg kicks to beat Edgar.

Plus Aldo probably guessed that Edgar was planning to get takedowns from the kicks.

Don't think so. Aldo had plenty of chances (5 rounds) to score leg kicks, but he never used them.

And Aldo has the TDD and the ability to get up if taken down. And leg kicks would take away Edgar's mobility, and TD chances, with some leg kicks.

Because Edgar is a wrestler and he didn't want to get taken down. He talked about this in post fight interviews.

It seemed as if he phased out his leg kicks after breaking his foot against Korean Zombie.

Jose Aldo has been adjusting his game over the years since he his cardio was exploited by Mark Hominick. When Jose Aldo was rising through the ranks he was an offensive cyclone constantly showcasing some of the best low kicks and knee strikes in the world. Since the Hominick fight Aldo's output has slowed, he's become more defensively aware and most notably he throws his kicks and knees a lot less since they are more high energy techniques.

It's actually impressive, Jose Aldo evolved his game to adapt to 5 rounds extremely well. You rarely see fighters at such a high level after all those years of training and competing be able to effectively change their game. Aldo's amazing.

Everybody seem to believe and expect, when predicting an Aldo's fight outcome, that he's going to rip his opponents leg, wear him, take his mobility, using his nasty low kicks.

Said that, question is:
Why Aldo barely used his leg kicks against Frankie Edgar? I mean, his first leg kick was a single one (hard by the way) at the end of the 3rd round!!

Why he didn't used more leg kicks against a fighter like Edgar (who's fight game is based on his footwork)?

btw rounds, his corner kept saying:"Throw leg kicks only when Edgar starts backpedallin´"..

Fear of TDs.

Said that, question is:

Because in the first Aldo/Edgar fight, Frankie started timing Aldo's leg kicks with counters and takedowns:

Aldo-Edgar-takedown.gif

Frankie has the most stifling and relentless ground and pound in the division, so Aldo probably didn't want to risk Frankie getting on top of him in the second fight, hence why he didn't rely on the low kicks too much, which worked in his favor. Aldo is typically very careful with kicking wrestlers like Edgar, Mendes, or Lamas.

Don't think so. Aldo had plenty of chances (5 rounds) to score leg kicks, but he never used them.

And Aldo has the TDD and the ability to get up if taken down. And leg kicks would take away Edgar's mobility, and TD chances, with some leg kicks.

Yes, but fighting your way back to your feet saps a lot of energy, which has always been a concern for Aldo. It was just a safer bet to Keep the leg kicks to a minimum with guys like Edgar.

In the 1st fight his hands were way too fast and accurate for Edgar, so I think he just wanted to do the same thing and not bother with leg kicks because it can make takedowns much easier. Also as previously mentioned on this thread.. he did break his foot against Korean Zombie and has used his hands more in fights. In the Lamas fight he wasn't doing much leg kicking either, much more punching

Because Edgar is a wrestler and he didn't want to get taken down. He talked about this in post fight interviews.

Jose Aldo has been adjusting his game over the years since he his cardio was exploited by Mark Hominick. When Jose Aldo was rising through the ranks he was an offensive cyclone constantly showcasing some of the best low kicks and knee strikes in the world. Since the Hominick fight Aldo's output has slowed, he's become more defensively aware and most notably he throws his kicks and knees a lot less since they are more high energy techniques.

It's actually impressive, Jose Aldo evolved his game to adapt to 5 rounds extremely well. You rarely see fighters at such a high level after all those years of training and competing be able to effectively change their game. Aldo's amazing.

btw rounds, his corner kept saying:"Throw leg kicks only when Edgar starts backpedallin´"..

Fear of TDs.

Because in the first Aldo/Edgar fight, Frankie started timing Aldo's leg kicks with counters and takedowns:

Aldo-Edgar-takedown.gif

Frankie has the most stifling and relentless ground and pound in the division, so Aldo probably didn't want to risk Frankie getting on top of him in the second fight, hence why he didn't rely on the low kicks too much, which worked in his favor. Aldo is typically very careful with kicking wrestlers like Edgar, Mendes, or Lamas.

Yes, but fighting your way back to your feet saps a lot of energy, which has always been a concern for Aldo. It was just a safer bet to Keep the leg kicks to a minimum with guys like Edgar.

In the 1st fight his hands were way too fast and accurate for Edgar, so I think he just wanted to do the same thing and not bother with leg kicks because it can make takedowns much easier. Also as previously mentioned on this thread.. he did break his foot against Korean Zombie and has used his hands more in fights. In the Lamas fight he wasn't doing much leg kicking either, much more punching

Ok, thanks for the replies. Question now would be, is he gonna leg kick Holloway? What do you think?

Ok, thanks for the replies. Question now would be, is he gonna leg kick Holloway? What do you think?

I'm more interested in how Aldo will handle Holloway's kicks. Jose Aldo has never fought a kicker as good as Holloway and the only good lengthy fighter Aldo has ever fought was an emaciated, old, near retired Florian and he struggled vs Kenflo a bit.

Last edited:

Yes, I think he will try to, but depending on what Max show's him in return, he may not throw that many; If he doesn't mask his leg kicks in combos, then Max can counter them all night with straight punches.

Aldo was quite sick for the Hominick fight. I wouldn't read too much into that fight.

Aldo-Edgar-takedown.gif

This.
EucIfYY.gif

Yes, I think he will try to, but depending on what Max show's him in return, he may not throw that many; If he doesn't mask his leg kicks in combos, then Max can counter them all night with straight punches.

Max has great hands but he often throws his punches a bit loopy. I'd say Jose Aldo is better at countering with punches, throwing straight punches and better at utilizing reach. Jose Aldo also has a 70in reach, Max allegedly has a 69.5in reach.

This fight is so interesting. I'd say Aldo is the faster fighter with better reactionary skills, he's the better counter striker too. Max Holloway is more of a pressure fighter so this is going to be a clash of styles. This fight and Cody vs TJ are just....I mean, the level of skill is insane.

Last edited:
Aldo was quite sick for the Hominick fight. I wouldn't read too much into that fight.

I wouldn't either if it were an isolated instance but Aldo has faded in championship rounds since that fight. Aldo has been lowering his striking output, he's been throwing less high energy strikes and has been verbal about addressing his weight cutting issues to address his cardio issues. This is all quantifiable, I think you misunderstood.

This is Aldo when not fighting a wrestling based fighter. Lots of combos with leg kicks. That´s what he´s gonna do to Max.

aldo-sets-up-leg-kicks-lamas.gif

movement+4.gif

This is Aldo when not fighting a wrestling based fighter. Lots of combos with leg kicks. That´s what he´s gonna do to Max.

aldo-sets-up-leg-kicks-lamas.gif

movement+4.gif

Lamas is a wrestling based fighter....Also Jose Aldo has good enough leg kicks and takedown defense, he can chew up just about any elite wrestler with his kicks if he wants to.

Back