Punk Ska Billy Folk and assorted things like that VOL. 2

I was a big Guttermouth and Straight Faced fan at the time, and I also knew Huntington beach from Nitro records as well as Tank and Tito, so I definitely enjoyed going there, but was a bit disappointed that I didn't see any stores selling punk albums, not that I looked but I half-expected to just come across them. California was like the promised-land for Punk rock. Huntington beach was all surf shops from what I saw. It reminded me more of Baywatch, than anything punk-related.:( It was cool seeing the amusement parks on the piers though.

Fearless Records was based out of Westminster at the time, which is right next to Huntington beach too. I loved Fearless back in the day

I went to Riverside in the morning and was only there for an hour or two, so all the sketchy folk were probably sleeping or cracked out in a basement somewhere. It was during a school day too.

Guttermouth came to Toronto pretty often so I still got to see them play a few times, they always delivered. I got to sing the "go downtown and get some downers" part (in 1-2-3 Slam) the first time I saw them in Toronto, I was such a bad singer that Mark gave me this "WTF" look when I sang that part. I guess he felt guilty because he gave me his beer. They were also handing out palmfulls of "Gold Bond Medicated Powder" which stops you from sweating, "just rub it on your balls" they said... It worked really well.

The original drummer for Guttermouth was Lance Mountain (who was one of the best skateboarders in the world in the late 80's) Todd from FYP was a professional skateboarder too, apparently he was one of the best, but he just used skating to make money for records, he quit and stuck to running his band and label (Recess Records)

Also, "It's A Fact" is my favourite Vandals song. Good choice.

Yeah there was only one punk record shop in HB, called Bionic Records. It was kind of a punk landmark in that area. Lots of big bands would shop there. I knew Lance Mountain as a skateboarding legend, but had no idea he was a drummer for Guttermouth. That's Crazy.
Also, I forgot to brag that the Aquabats went to my church (I was raised Mormon). I never spoke to them though. One of the band members dad was also our pharmacist and he gave my brother and me stickers and buttons a couple times which was awesome at the time. That was the one band that was okay to play in the car when my mom was driving because they were Mormon.

More Orange County bands

That shits really cool dude. I didnt even know such things existed and now am feeling like I missed out on something.

I do recall that besides band merch there used to be tables selling patches and books and assorted small trinkets but i never paid any of that stuff much mind and now i want to kick my own ass :)

Man I miss the old days. it just felt like such a special thing to be involved in back then like there was magic in the air.

I think It was AAA and mu330 at fireside bowl that had some kinda weird book fare going on on one side of the room. I bought a book that day and i cant for the life of me recall what it was now but i can see it in my mind.

Nice, I have The Bollweevils live LP, recorded at the Fireside Bowl.

The poster on the wall is for a show at The Fireside Bowl. I have this album on LP too. I would've loved to see a punk show there. They were two of my first punk LP's
latest

It was probably more common here, but you'd see people selling cd's quite often, books were more rare. It was more when I got older and started to going to screamo shows, where the stuff is even more obscure than punk rock.

Yeah there was only one punk record shop in HB, called Bionic Records. It was kind of a punk landmark in that area. Lots of big bands would shop there. I knew Lance Mountain as a skateboarding legend, but had no idea he was a drummer for Guttermouth. That's Crazy.
Also, I forgot to brag that the Aquabats went to my church (I was raised Mormon). I never spoke to them though. One of the band members dad was also our pharmacist and he gave my brother and me stickers and buttons a couple times which was awesome at the time. That was the one band that was okay to play in the car when my mom was driving because they were Mormon.

More Orange County bands

That's cool, I didn't know they were mormon. I wonder how your Mom would've reacted if you put on Guttermouth :p:D I was shocked when I heard the Lance Mountain thing, I think it was in an FYP interview. I liked Lance back in the day too. I got this board for my tenth birthday.
claw300.png

The O.C. Supertones were a Christian Ska band from Orange County. They had some good stuff.

Sorry, I have to post this now :p The first AFI song I ever heard.

Sorry, I have to post this now :p The first AFI song I ever heard.

I thought this was the first AFI song everyone heard

I member Christmas shoppin with my moms and this song came on and she just stared at me til I changed it and was like Yea lets never play that one again.

She was a good lady and let me have radio control most the time when we were in the car but she didnt like things that were fowl just for the sake of being fowl.

We enjoyed a lot of social distortion and bad religion together. She thought both bands could sing and play and im pretty sure she thought Greg and Mike Ness were sexy.I like that she always kept me on my toes and not only was I always on the look out for bands that I enjoyed and that would shock and annoy but also always looking for things we could enjoy together as well

this punk and ska has been the soundtrack of my growing up and almost every band and song i can think of it has memories attached to it. Im pretty sure I have talked about this before but that AFI struck a nerve and took me back

One of my first 7 inches... So good. There's a guy on the forum who said the lead singer is his dentist now, lucky bastard.

I thought this was the first AFI song everyone heard

I member Christmas shoppin with my moms and this song came on and she just stared at me til I changed it and was like Yea lets never play that one again.

She was a good lady and let me have radio control most the time when we were in the car but she didnt like things that were fowl just for the sake of being fowl.

We enjoyed a lot of social distortion and bad religion together. She thought both bands could sing and play and im retty sure she thought Greg and Mike Ness were sexy.

this punk and ska has been the soundtrack of my growing up and almost every band and song i can think of it has memories attached to it. Im pretty sure I have talked about this before but that AFI struck a nerve and took me back

I used to listen to Mods n' Rockers on CIUT 89.5 (University of Toronto radio) religiously. I'd tape every episode than make mix tapes of all the best stuff. The first AFI song they played was "I Want A Mohawk" That show was awesome, they played all styles of punk, ska, oi, rockabilly etc. You'd have loved it.

Now they just have a hardcore punk show, if it's still going.
exd.jpg

Closet Monster mention the show in this song.

That's cool she liked Bad Religion. Stranger Than Fiction was the album that really got me into punk rock. It's my favourite BR album by far.

I just put up with my parents choices. My Dad would always play The Police, which was fine with me. And my Mom usually listened to CBC radio, which is like Canada's version of NPR.

My parents put up with my band playing in the basement 3 nights a week. That was enough for them.

Last edited:
This song especially was what got me into punk music.

I never knew what he was talking about with his "how many angels can dance on a pinhead" reference, or "how many devil's can you fit upon a match-head"

Probably 15 years after the album came out I was taking a bus tour of Oxford and the tour guide starts talking about the early years of the Colleges there. He said that back in the day you'd get your masters degree in philosophy by holding your own in a debate with your professor, for at least an hour long. Of the many subjects of debate that were allowed, two of them were "how many angels can dance on a pinhead" and another was "how many devils can you fit upon a match-head" ... Indeed, truth is stranger than fiction.

This was my second favourite song.

I'd listen to side A on the way to school, and side B on the way home, on my good old walkman. That and Weezer's blue album. Everyday of Grade 9 it was those two albums, mostly Bad Religion.

@Gutter Chris That cruise control video didn't work for me. Don't remember that song either :(

Probably my favourite Rancid song on this album. One of the first punk albums I ever bought.

Ferd Mert - the lyrics to this one always make me smile

Last Call - Myapathy (California skate-punk)

These guys opened for the slackers on saturday. Id never heard them before but was impressed with how well they played live

Some more great (mid-late 90's) Toronto area punk rock (great, imo)

The Tirekickers - Here (they had two singers, this guy was the one who liked Green Day a lot)

Trunk - Something Real

The Stiffs - What If? (a plane smashed into your face) (I had to rip this one from a cassette, so the quality isn't that good)

I posted this one in the last thread. One of my favourites on the album. Tim's vocals go great with the song.

Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punk

:D I haven't listened to Gogol in a while. Good stuff.

These guys opened for the slackers on saturday. Id never heard them before but was impressed with how well they played live

Nice, they sound good. How was the show? I stayed up all night watching Rizin... was awesome.

Nice, they sound good. How was the show? I stayed up all night watching Rizin... was awesome.

Show was really good. Slackers are one of the rare bands that sounds just like a cd live and never fuck up. They played almost 2 hours and did a double encore. My only complaint was no married girl.

The first record I ever bought was a split 7" between Banned From Atlantis & Elliot. I didn't even know it was a record. I went to a "label sale" where a bunch of independent record labels from the Toronto area rented out a bar and sold all their albums. I went to buy some cd's from Raw Energy records, Toronto's premiere punk label at the time, but the guy who ran the label didn't even have copies of the albums I wanted (even though he didn't list them as out of print)... So I was looking at this other guys merch table and he was chatting me up big time. You could tell he hadn't sold any albums and was stressing, he kept asking who I liked and making recommendations. So out of pity I bought the cheapest thing, the split 7" for $3. I didn't even own a record player.

Later I found out that the bass player from Elliot was none other than John P. Sutton, the bass player from Propagandhi (who were my favourite band) He also recorded the other side of the record for Banned from Atlantis.

Elliot - Pogo 86

Banned From Atlantis - Don't Blow It (my favourite song on the record)

Elliot - Hateful Days (John always said Born Against was his favourite band, here you can hear the influence)

After the success of the first Weakerthans album he never looked back.

He also released a rare solo album back in the day, it was a split with Hudson Mack (IIRC)

Back