Punk Ska Billy Folk and assorted things like that VOL. 2

Goin to see them next month at one of the best pizza places in town

Theres a ton of shit coming in the next 6 weeks or so

That's the only song of their's that I know. I taped it off the radio one night and it took me a decade to figure out who they were. I checked out some of their other stuff and it didn't sound like "Hackey Sack" at all so I never bothered checking out more from them.

Pennywise - Bro Hymn (one of the best punk songs of the 90's)

Pennywise - Every Single Day

Fritz Aaronson was the guitar player/song writer for Falling Sickness, when they broke up he started Dogs of Ire

Dogs of Ire - A Place for You

Dogs of Ire released a few albums then broke up, and now he's in Moxiebeat

Falling Sickness - Start Over

When I was a teenager "Riverside, CA" was my dream destination. We went on a family vacation to California when I was 16, I convinced the family to drive 90 minutes away to Riverside, so I could see it in person. First thing I did when I got there was go to a phone booth and look up record stores in the yellow pages. This was during the punk boom so their was literally 6 pages of record store ads (almost all of them specializing in Punk/Ska) I went to the closest store and spent all my savings on records. I left the store with $10 to last me the next 11 days of vacation... It was worth it.

Riverside is/was home to Voodoo Glow Skulls, Falling Sickness, and Assorted Jellybeans, three of my favourites in the late 90's

Some rare Assorted Jellybeans from the "Ripperside Skates" comp

Nonsense (another Riverside band, they were on VGS label, and did a split 7" with Guttermouth)

Backside - Where all The Shallow Flows (catchy Riverside Skate-punk)

When I was a teenager "Riverside, CA" was my dream destination. We went on a family vacation to California when I was 16, I convinced the family to drive 90 minutes away to Riverside, so I could see it in person. First thing I did when I got there was go to a phone booth and look up record stores in the yellow pages. This was during the punk boom so their was literally 6 pages of record store ads (almost all of them specializing in Punk/Ska) I went to the closest store and spent all my savings on records. I left the store with $10 to last me the next 11 days of vacation... It was worth it.

Riverside is/was home to Voodoo Glow Skulls, Falling Sickness, and Assorted Jellybeans, three of my favourites in the late 90's

Some rare Assorted Jellybeans from the "Ripperside Skates" comp

Nonsense (another Riverside band, they were on VGS label, and did a split 7" with Guttermouth)

Backside - Where all The Shallow Flows (catchy Riverside Skate-punk)

That's hilarious, cause Riverside is such a trash hole. This Vandals song mentions Riverside.

Rancid and Iggy doing an acoustic version of no fun:

That's hilarious, cause Riverside is such a trash hole. This Vandals song mentions Riverside.

It was pretty nice. Nicer than much of LA and Huntington Beach area. I recall seeing more mullets at the beach as well :p

cropped-1_1373730569_downtown-riverside-ca-at-dusk.jpg

Mt.%20Rubidoux%202-Riverside%20CA%20.jpg
R-1765498-1307727397.jpeg.jpg

8178839844_e998f938ff.jpg
70657fbdf9ac6561a525f24923778d85.jpg

Assorted Jellybeans describe the citizens of Riverside in this song...

Falling Sickness speak more highly of Riverside, aka Ripperside. They were always hyping up the city in their songs.

There were only two punk records stores in Toronto. Riverside was heaven to me, back then :D.

Almost here. I am started to get super excited. Im finna make a batch or rice crispie treats before I go .

Lol when i was young I thought I lived in the musical mecca of the world and everyone else was jelly. I cant even type that with a straight face now.

I did want to check out LA when I was right out of highschool due to all the cool shows going on out that way all the time but i never made it.

Im smiling about blowing all your money at the record store and having 11 days to go I have done that more than once or went hog wild at a show or warped and been broke til next check too. Any time I went to a new town I was always looking for a record store just to see what treasures I could find.

Before the internet things were so much more fun. You never new what you might find but there were places to look.

whoever posted the Tim Timebomb going down cover in the other thread seriously messed me up. I been listening to Bruce Springsteen like the last 2 weeks

Lol when i was young I thought I lived in the musical mecca of the world and everyone else was jelly. I cant even type that with a straight face now.

I did want to check out LA when I was right out of highschool due to all the cool shows going on out that way all the time but i never made it.

Im smiling about blowing all your money at the record store and having 11 days to go I have done that more than once or went hog wild at a show or warped and been broke til next check too. Any time I went to a new town I was always looking for a record store just to see what treasures I could find.

Before the internet things were so much more fun. You never new what you might find but there were places to look.

Yeah, those days were awesome. The hunt was half the fun, you never knew what they'd have in stock. But the 2 hour ride home was always tough with a bag full of records. It always seemed to take forever.

I considered starting a distro but the customs fee's were a bitch, and the post office would charge double even though I'm just over the border. I always loved those at concerts. Propagandhi always had people following them on tour selling books and cd's. Got this awesome Illustrated novel at the Propagandhi/Avail show in Detroit.

Seth Tobocman lived in the C squat, with Leftover Crack and 100 other people. He wrote this novel about life in the squat based on real incidences. It's during the 80's though. It'a an amazing story, really powerful stuff. It's basically the story of the gentrification of New York City, told from the perspective of the squatters, the homeless, and other local poor residents.

War-In-The-Neigborhood-med.jpg

A small sample of his work:
moore11-2-1.jpg
10168076_899099630134071_7214439028455518981_n-366x497.jpg
c71cb55c5.jpg

I never would've found these books anywhere else, and I wouldn't have mail-ordered them due to the crazy shipping costs, they're big heavy books. Well, I would now that I know how awesome they are, and I have mail-ordered all the WW3 comics I could find, partly for his work in them.
103980.jpg

Got this Eric Drooker book there too. He's done artwork for a ton of punk & punk/ska bands, and Faith No More
51bqFyyCSbL.jpg
R-4343705-1371889597-2456.jpeg.jpg

AAA-Onyx-header-730x280.jpg

Probably my favourite Eric Drooker
50b973b5f4e5d1a0e4226cce99ea39ce.jpg
drooker.tank_.jpg

All these bands were on the singer from Against All Authority's label, Far Out Records. Quality stuff

These guys were from Japan, but Far Out released a 7" from them

Seth Tobocman lived in the C squat, with Leftover Crack and 100 other people. He wrote this novel about life in the squat based on real incidences. It's during the 80's though. It'a an amazing story, really powerful stuff. It's basically the story of the gentrification of New York City, told from the perspective of the squatters, the homeless, and other local poor residents.

That shits really cool dude. I didnt even know such things existed and now am feeling like I missed out on something.

I do recall that besides band merch there used to be tables selling patches and books and assorted small trinkets but i never paid any of that stuff much mind and now i want to kick my own ass :)

Man I miss the old days. it just felt like such a special thing to be involved in back then like there was magic in the air.

I think It was AAA and mu330 at fireside bowl that had some kinda weird book fare going on on one side of the room. I bought a book that day and i cant for the life of me recall what it was now but i can see it in my mind.

It was pretty nice. Nicer than much of LA and Huntington Beach area. I recall seeing more mullets at the beach as well :p

Haha that's cool, and kind of strange to hear. I grew up in Huntington Beach and now live in Riverside County. People in Huntington Beach definitely looked down on people from Riverside. Probably due to all the meth :p. Here's some bands from HB (they've all been posted before but whatever)

Last edited:
Haha that's cool, and kind of strange to hear. I grew up in Huntington Beach and now live in Riverside County. People in Huntington Beach definitely looked down on people from Riverside. Probably due to all the meth :p. Here's some bands from HB (they've all been posted before but whatever)

I was a big Guttermouth and Straight Faced fan at the time, and I also knew Huntington beach from Nitro records as well as Tank and Tito, so I definitely enjoyed going there, but was a bit disappointed that I didn't see any stores selling punk albums, not that I looked but I half-expected to just come across them. California was like the promised-land for Punk rock. Huntington beach was all surf shops from what I saw. It reminded me more of Baywatch, than anything punk-related.:( It was cool seeing the amusement parks on the piers though.

Fearless Records was based out of Westminster at the time, which is right next to Huntington beach too. I loved Fearless back in the day

I went to Riverside in the morning and was only there for an hour or two, so all the sketchy folk were probably sleeping or cracked out in a basement somewhere. It was during a school day too.

White Kaps (Simi Valley Punk)

F.Y.P. (Torrance, CA)

Fury 66 (Santa Cruz, California) (closer to the bay, but still an under-rated band from Cali)

Guttermouth came to Toronto pretty often so I still got to see them play a few times, they always delivered. I got to sing the "go downtown and get some downers" part (in 1-2-3 Slam) the first time I saw them in Toronto, I was such a bad singer that Mark gave me this "WTF" look when I sang that part. I guess he felt guilty because he gave me his beer. They were also handing out palmfulls of "Gold Bond Medicated Powder" which stops you from sweating, "just rub it on your balls" they said... It worked really well.

The original drummer for Guttermouth was Lance Mountain (who was one of the best skateboarders in the world in the late 80's) Todd from FYP was a professional skateboarder too, apparently he was one of the best, but he just used skating to make money for records, he quit and stuck to running his band and label (Recess Records)

Also, "It's A Fact" is my favourite Vandals song. Good choice.

Back