Pro Fitter 3D Cross Trainer Anyone?

ThunderL1ps

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a Pro Fitter before?

I remember reading about a Pro Fitter in strength and conditioning guru Michael Boyle's (NHL, NFL, MLB, etc.) original book: "Functional Training for Sports" by Human Kinetics and he was an advocate for using the device for rehabbing any joint in the body as it could be used to build stability with movement.

Originally intended as a device to use for skiing, it is not limited to that sport. Anyone can benefit from the design as you can work laterally, linear or diagonally on a 3D plane. There are cords underneath the base that attach to the base that attach to the skate portion of the unit. There are foot petals you can stand on for lower body, as well as a platform that can easily be attached. One can develop strength in upper and lower body, torso, muscle integration and balance. I read one review that it is a "balance board on steroids."

Does anyone have this or used it? I am thinking about buying one in the very near future. It looks like a really good tool to use but it is a tad pricey (700 dollars). I know someone online that is a physio therapist/strength trainer that said she paid 900 dollars for one at home in NZ and she said it's worth the price.

These videos don't capture all the things you can do on it, but it does give you an idea.

I still think the Shakeweight was a stupider device. Good try though.

I've seen that in a physical therapy clinic.

Never been on one though.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you've never used it?
The Shakeweight or this contraption? Neither. It looks like something you see cheap on Craigslist about this time of year once New Year's resolutions have gone by the wayside. Look there first if you're thinking of getting one. You're welcome.

700 dollars? A buncha buzz words? Dude go get a barbell, make a sandbag and some med balls and fucking run, homie. Then use the leftover cash on burritos.

The Shakeweight or this contraption? Neither. It looks like something you see cheap on Craigslist about this time of year once New Year's resolutions have gone by the wayside. Look there first if you're thinking of getting one. You're welcome.

Already looked and can't find the current version. I saw an older version for sale but someone swooped in a day before I did to get it. These things just don't seem to be readily available and they've been around for 30 years.

700 dollars? A buncha buzz words? Dude go get a barbell, make a sandbag and some med balls and fucking run, homie. Then use the leftover cash on burritos.

I've had a sand bag probably for a good eight years now. Med ball over more than 15 years, probably closer to 20. My knee isn't going to allow me to run.

I kind of look at the price point like how one would look at say a mountain bike. Maybe you don't use it year around, but you use it every year and get your usage out of it.

I've had a sand bag probably for a good eight years now. Med ball over more than 15 years, probably closer to 20. My knee isn't going to allow me to run.

I kind of look at the price point like how one would look at say a mountain bike. Maybe you don't use it year around, but you use it every year and get your usage out of it.

That's kind of a shitty comparison, no? A mountain bike isn't some expensive gimmick and it has use beyond conditioning. You can travel on it and make fun of car peasants. Personally, I think you just want us to go "buy it, dude! It's sweet" because really, you made up your mind already.

It looks, well, definitely not worth the price. What are they really doing on it? Some unstable surface stuff with a little balance and joint stabilising. And then some abductor work. Nothing you couldn't do by yourself really. A pair of roller skates, some work on a ball/pillow/mat (let's not get into the whole unstable surface training debate) and some bands work or side lunges/lunges with sliders would do the exact same thing. Not saying it's necessarily bad, but I don't know how useful it is.

What do you want it for? Something specific you hope to improve?

It looks, well, definitely not worth the price. What are they really doing on it? Some unstable surface stuff with a little balance and joint stabilising. And then some abductor work. Nothing you couldn't do by yourself really. A pair of roller skates, some work on a ball/pillow/mat (let's not get into the whole unstable surface training debate) and some bands work or side lunges/lunges with sliders would do the exact same thing. Not saying it's necessarily bad, but I don't know how useful it is.

What do you want it for? Something specific you hope to improve?

I am hoping to improve my overall health. I have all sorts of physical issues going on and I was looking at the Fitter more as a device that can help my body as far as my joints/balance are concerned. I'm seriously sick of gym life/culture. I want to do something different that will strengthen my body all around. Of course, I wouldn't limit myself to any one device/style of training.

I had thought of how do I mimic what the Fitter would do and I really can't think of how I would do it. I have strength bands and use furniture gliders separately but it wouldn't be the same thing. The key thing is the 3D plane, like you are going over a hill every time you do any sort of rep -- I don't see how one would replicate that. In time working up to single leg movements, standing on the pad or petals would really be a challenge.

Roller skates/blades would be more linear than lateral or diagonal. The thought of using bands and roller skates together is terrifying/comical lol, but I am sure you do not mean using them together.

Is it worth 700 dollars? That is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm on the fence. I could always buy it and return it if I didn't like it.

I've seen that in a physical therapy clinic.

Never been on one though.

I should see if there is a clinic nearby that has one in my city. I don't recall off hand ever seeing one, but that is probably the best place to try one out.

I should see if there is a clinic nearby that has one in my city. I don't recall off hand ever seeing one, but that is probably the best place to try one out.
I would call around and ask. There will be one that will let you try it if you ask nicely.

I am hoping to improve my overall health. I have all sorts of physical issues going on and I was looking at the Fitter more as a device that can help my body as far as my joints/balance are concerned. I'm seriously sick of gym life/culture. I want to do something different that will strengthen my body all around. Of course, I wouldn't limit myself to any one device/style of training.

I had thought of how do I mimic what the Fitter would do and I really can't think of how I would do it. I have strength bands and use furniture gliders separately but it wouldn't be the same thing. The key thing is the 3D plane, like you are going over a hill every time you do any sort of rep -- I don't see how one would replicate that. In time working up to single leg movements, standing on the pad or petals would really be a challenge.

Roller skates/blades would be more linear than lateral or diagonal. The thought of using bands and roller skates together is terrifying/comical lol, but I am sure you do not mean using them together.

Is it worth 700 dollars? That is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm on the fence. I could always buy it and return it if I didn't like it.
Haha I don't think rollerskates would be the most safe choice for rehabilitation, no matter how you do it lol. I just ment that using a pair of rollerskates getting from A to B would do a lot of what it does.

Honestly I don't know how much of a difference the "hill" or "3d plane" aspect does. I don't think there's any scientific rationale. IMO, bands, sliders and various unstable surfaces (not at once) would do almost exactly the same as that contraption does. It's your call, but if you really want it then as rip said try calling some places and see if you can get one used. I've seen the machine a few times in some clinics as well, but I haven't felt the need to use it.

Patellofemoral pain? Osteoarthritis? Ligament injuries? What exactly is wrong with your knees/joints and what symptoms are you having? There's a lot of options if you want to improve joint health, I don't think you should limit yourself to stability training only. What training are you doing right now, ie what exercises and how do they feel?

You want to pay $800 for a skiboard? Or are they paying you to spam the site with their bullshit? I really hope you're just promoting this shit for some money scheme. It looks horrible.

+1 on the burritos. Food of the gods.

Amazon has this product on there as a ski trainer, $700, and then under the "what people buy after viewing this item" there's a half dozen types of balance boards and balls for $25-$50. That's about as good advice as you're going to get.

You want to pay $800 for a skiboard? Or are they paying you to spam the site with their bullshit? I really hope you're just promoting this shit for some money scheme. It looks horrible.

Are you being paid to post like a snarky cunt or is that a free service you're providing?

Amazon has this product on there as a ski trainer, $700, and then under the "what people buy after viewing this item" there's a half dozen types of balance boards and balls for $25-$50. That's about as good advice as you're going to get.

An automated response based on what customers have purchased is the good advice?

Balance products aren't foreign to me. I have a balance pad (not Airex, but another company). I've owned a half foam roller for a good 10 years or more.

I was considering buying an Extreme Balance Board Pro or maybe a Bongo Board while looking for a used Pro Fitter, but I am not sure if I want it. They cost quite a bit less.

Last edited:
Haha I don't think rollerskates would be the most safe choice for rehabilitation, no matter how you do it lol. I just ment that using a pair of rollerskates getting from A to B would do a lot of what it does.

Honestly I don't know how much of a difference the "hill" or "3d plane" aspect does. I don't think there's any scientific rationale. IMO, bands, sliders and various unstable surfaces (not at once) would do almost exactly the same as that contraption does. It's your call, but if you really want it then as rip said try calling some places and see if you can get one used. I've seen the machine a few times in some clinics as well, but I haven't felt the need to use it.

Patellofemoral pain? Osteoarthritis? Ligament injuries? What exactly is wrong with your knees/joints and what symptoms are you having? There's a lot of options if you want to improve joint health, I don't think you should limit yourself to stability training only. What training are you doing right now, ie what exercises and how do they feel?

I sent you a PM.

Back