Prison Guards Who Boiled A Schizophrenic Man to Death not charged by State Attorney

By the same token that cold can slow postmortem changes, heat can speed them, but I think that less than 2 hours would be awfully fast. If the nurses documented blistering close to the time of death, I would favor that as an indication of an antemortem event. You can read here for terminology of early and late postmortem changes ( http://medchrome.com/extras/postmortem-time-death/ ), and you can use the terms for google search strings if you would like more information.

I post sometimes about deaths in custody. I am especially troubled by the case of Barry Stewart (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) who was imprisoned (for nonpayment of transit fine) in a room with Justin Somers (about whom mental health staff warned of violent insanity) and one bed. Barry Stewart was stomped to death, but no individual was blamed ( http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/c...-killed-by-mentally-ill-inmate.3006585/page-2 ).

Are you credentialed in the medical field in some manner? Just curious because you're saying you're skeptical of the autopsy report and you're making claims here which would really need some kind of credentials to back up.

Up to 180F? Not too sure about that buddy.
Believe it. We usually set the max potable water temp to 140, but many boilers or taknless heaters are capable of higher temps. In commercial and industrial applications it could be much higher, depending on btu input.

Having said that, I've never even heard of that kind of temperature delivered anywhere near where a person might be. It makes no sense, there's no practical application, and isn't allowed by code. At least not here, anyways. Maybe the facility is outdated or something, but due to liability issues I would think some kind of anti-scald devices would be in place. The 180° thing smells fishy to me.

More fake news, even Yahoo got this right, TS is libtard

This is why the fake news hashtag/movement is so popular right now.

News with an agenda is everywhere. We get our information from the news, and unless we investigate ourselves, which none of us have time for, we're stuck believing what we're told.

I have no idea what part of this story is true because actual investigative journalists don't exist anymore and corruption and bias in every facet of so-called journalisme is the new norm.

Are you credentialed in the medical field in some manner? Just curious because you're saying you're skeptical of the autopsy report and you're making claims here which would really need some kind of credentials to back up.
I will quote from my previous post #72 as well as from forensic pathologist Dr MIchael Baden (from this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ional-institution_us_58d94c9fe4b03692bea82e1b).

gatchaman: "Postmortem skin slippage is a later postmortem change (usually over one day), but the deceased was discovered at less than 2 hours after death. The medical examiner would have the body refrigerated to retard this kind of change. Witness-accounts of blistering closer to the time of death are relevant information."

Baden: "Skin slippage can occur in decomposition, but not in a matter of hours. That doesn’t make sense either that there’d be skin slippage of any kind at this point after his death."

gatchaman: Also, there are no unequivocal findings of heart attack if the victim dies in less than 2 hours. The examiner likely found coronary atherosclerosis, which is present in most elderly black men.

Baden:
“Number one, schizophrenia is a disease; it isn’t a cause of death. Schizophrenia is not a cause of sudden death,” Baden said. Secondly, Baden explained, according to the autopsy report, Rainey’s heart disease is “minimal” and his “heart is not remarkable for a 50-year-old person.” Lastly, Baden said, the indication that confinement in the shower also contributed to his death “does not make sense.”

“That wouldn’t cause death itself,” Baden said. “People don’t die in confined spaces unless there’s something else happening. The only way you really die in a confined space is if you use up all the oxygen.”

Baden also questions the notion that the death was accidental.

“What is being described is a natural death,” Baden said. “Even if it were schizophrenia and it was heart disease, why then is it an accident? Because of the confined space? No. The cause of death as indicated does not appear to me to be consistent with the autopsy findings.”

I agree with Baden that finding the manner of death to be accidental makes no sense for this case based on the information provided. If the shower caused the death then the manner is homicide (The information provided does not indicate that Rainey was traumatized by a slip in the shower). If Rainey's medical conditions caused the death then the manner is natural. You questioned my statements based on me not providing credentials, but you are also not providing credentials to back your own statements. Also, I think that it is better to ask for more information (with sources) about questionable statements then it is to make unverifiable claims about credentials. What do you think?

I will quote from my previous post #72 as well as from forensic pathologist Dr MIchael Baden (from this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ional-institution_us_58d94c9fe4b03692bea82e1b).

gatchaman: "Postmortem skin slippage is a later postmortem change (usually over one day), but the deceased was discovered at less than 2 hours after death. The medical examiner would have the body refrigerated to retard this kind of change. Witness-accounts of blistering closer to the time of death are relevant information."

Baden: "Skin slippage can occur in decomposition, but not in a matter of hours. That doesn’t make sense either that there’d be skin slippage of any kind at this point after his death."

gatchaman: Also, there are no unequivocal findings of heart attack if the victim dies in less than 2 hours. The examiner likely found coronary atherosclerosis, which is present in most elderly black men.

Baden:
“Number one, schizophrenia is a disease; it isn’t a cause of death. Schizophrenia is not a cause of sudden death,” Baden said. Secondly, Baden explained, according to the autopsy report, Rainey’s heart disease is “minimal” and his “heart is not remarkable for a 50-year-old person.” Lastly, Baden said, the indication that confinement in the shower also contributed to his death “does not make sense.”

“That wouldn’t cause death itself,” Baden said. “People don’t die in confined spaces unless there’s something else happening. The only way you really die in a confined space is if you use up all the oxygen.”

Baden also questions the notion that the death was accidental.

“What is being described is a natural death,” Baden said. “Even if it were schizophrenia and it was heart disease, why then is it an accident? Because of the confined space? No. The cause of death as indicated does not appear to me to be consistent with the autopsy findings.”

I agree with Baden that finding the manner of death to be accidental makes no sense for this case based on the information provided. If the shower caused the death then the manner is homicide (The information provided does not indicate that Rainey was traumatized by a slip in the shower). If Rainey's medical conditions caused the death then the manner is natural. You questioned my statements based on me not providing credentials, but you are also not providing credentials to back your own statements. Also, I think that it is better to ask for more information (with sources) about questionable statements then it is to make unverifiable claims about credentials. What do you think?

I asked about your credentials because you were making claims which were mismatching the coroner who worked the case. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you here because none of us know for sure what happened. The coroner who worked the case did her job and I assume she was qualified. Perhaps it was a cover up, but maybe it's just a shitty situation where nothing illegal was going on. I just didn't like the OP's article because it was conjecture and hearsay but written as full on factual, evidenced truth.

I wonder how much of this is true.

Just seems strange not to have any charges if there was evidence.

It's not strange at all. LEOs literally get away with murder all of the time in the US.

why do the showers get hot enough to kill someone

Read the articles. They were rigged by the guards to let out superheated water. The shower room was typically used as a means to punish problem inmates.

They'd actually locked inmates in the shower several times in the past. They just took it way too far this time.

Humans are funny people. What was he in jail for?
You read these sick articles about people who commit horrible acts and many reponses call for torture and death.
Then people get upset when it happens

I hate to break this to you yet those prison guards were not being paid to be executioners.

From the facts as given, it seems like man slaughter at a bare minimum. I don't buy the no evidence claims. It would be easy to figure out which guards were involved and an autopsy could confirm much of the story either way, not to mention the testimony of medical staff.

I'm all for prison being an unpleasant place; it is after all a punishment. But physical torture and murder should not be tolerated. I think it is shameful how big a joke we make out f things like prison rape or prisoner's being abused by guards.

There is too much impunity all the way down the line in our justice system ,for judges, prosecutors, police, and prison guards. Giving people leeway to do a tough job doesn't mean we have to tolerate this kind of bullshit.
Why is a guy with Schizophrenia in a regular prison? 2 hours in the shower? I'd be ok with the prison guards being summarily executed.

It is so sick and morbid. What's worse is you will find people excusing this type of behavior from security guards/correctional officers. It was a clear case of prisoner abuse leading to death, period. The security guards/correctional officers are not empowered to be ruthless executioners in these complexes. It is not how it works.

Last edited:
OK, well, fair enough. Maybe what I should have said was "How can you fire them when there is no evidence of wrongdoing?" The guy shit himself in his cell, which is why he was taken to the shower. The heat of the water is highly contested in this case, but as others pointed out, getting 180F water for multiple hours isn't a simple task. Yeah, the guy died in the shower, but it was from a heart attack (cardiac arrest) according to the medical examiner.

I guess is there grounds to fire these guys in such a case if no wrong doing can be concluded? I'm not defending anybody on either side because I wasn't there, but with the lack of any real evidence it's hard to determine exactly what happened. Maybe they wouldn't let the guy out of the shower until he bent over to clean his ass? I don't know man, just so many holes in Miami-Herald description of events that it's tough for me to believe much of any of it.
They could try to fire them but then you have to deal with the correctional officers union. They will fight to the end or possibly sue saying that the only reason you are firing them is due to social pressure and no actual wrong doing.

Those shitty prison guards need to be put to death.

"When his body was pulled out, nurses said there were burns on 90 percent of his body. A nurse said his body temperature was too high to register with a thermometer. And his skin fell off at the touch."

When medical staff, like nurses, provide intervention or care, they are supposed to document it. The information collected in medical records can be considered proof. Couldn't they have used that in the court case?

Nah, let them go to jail for life, and get ass pounded for life. They were given responsibility over life and death, and they abused it.

All in all this seems extremely harsh and a bit shady. Guy was in there for cocaine - obviously not the worst crime ever. And I just don't see keeping someone in a hot shower for 2 hours as justifiable. Even a normal 'pleasantly' hot shower of say 120 degrees would get extremely uncomfortable after half an hour I'd imagine.

Prison guards still owe a duty of care don't they? Or is that just a given that it doesn't apply in prisons?

Who in the hell taught these evil fuckers how to make ramen noddles?

Some of the people who post here are without a doubt mentally insane.

How can anyone defend this type of behavior?

Unless someone was negligent

The shower would not go to 180. If it did people would have been burned before given the setting. That part is outright false. What might be of concern is leaving someone in he shower for two hours depending on the size of the room. I take fifteen minute or longer showers in the winter as hot as I can stand it. So a half hour in a one person stall isn't unreasonable. Two hours in a shower room might be ok in a nut house. I don't know.

Back