Prime Hughes vs prime (current) Khabib

Hughes skills wouldn't break the top 10 as of today? So you're telling me he wouldn't have a chance against fighters like Thompson, Magny and Ponzinibbio? That's beyond ridiculous.
Have u went back and seen hes fights? All the above would win 9 of 10 times vs Prime Hughes. If you find this statement ridiculouse I dont know where to begin, and I question if you actually know what ur watching.
Hughes has huuuge wholes in hes game compared to 2018 mma fighters and all the people who fought in that era is prelim level fighters in 2018. This is not my opinion, its fact and fight pass holds the evidence.
The Hector Lombard Magny beat would be a nightmare match up for prime Hughes. The Ponz that weve seen latley would destroy prime Hughes.

new generation is always better

Khabib > GPS

Woodley > GPS

Ngannou > Fedor

Conor > BJ

Joshua > Ali

Wilder > Tyson

Loma > Floyd

<RawexDidThis1>
I checked out Hughes stand up before I posted and Khabib is next level compared to Hughes imo. Khabib looks so bad because he has some very newbie tendencies but he has spent a lot of hrs training with high level strikers so he has an OK understanding of striking which shows in hes fights. Hughes vs Khabib would be a mismatch and Khabib could defend takedowns and Muhammed Ali jab Hughses face off until infinity. Even on the ground Hughes would have trouble imo.

I don’t see the smaller Khabib out wrestling Hughes.

Mma has evolved since Hughes was champ. The weight cut Hughes did is the standard in modern mma and Hughes skills wouldnt break the top 10 as of today.
The answer is simple... Khabib.

Fans need to understand that dominant champs from back in the day dosnt have anything on todays mma fighters... GSP is the exception cuz he kept on training and is still improoving.

Buddy I want what you smoking because if Donald Cerrone can be a top-10 170 lb. Matt Hughes can beeasily one.

I have to think that Hughes would absolutely destroy Khabib. He would destroy Conor too-- easily.

Buddy I want what you smoking because if Donald Cerrone can be a top-10 170 lb. Matt Hughes can beeasily one.
Donald is 12..? My point is that Hughes wouldnt beat todays top 10 at ww.
Donald is a last gen fighter anyways, Im talking about new/current gen

Sorry dude Matt beats up a lot of these guys and makes it look easy.
Especially when Matt was at the top of his game
it doesn't help most the divisions over the age of 35.
The only guy i see consistently getting the better of Matt is Woodley
these might be some tough guys for Matt to beat Covington RDA Usman.

Champion : Tyron Woodley

1 Colby Covington (Interim Champion)
2 Darren Till
3 Rafael Dos Anjos
4 Stephen Thompson
5 Robbie Lawler
6 Kamaru Usman
7 Demian Maia
8 Neil Magny
9 Jorge Masvidal
10 Santiago Ponzinibbio
11 Leon Edwards
12 Donald Cerrone
13 Gunnar Nelson
14 Alex Oliveira
15 Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos *

Sorry dude Matt beats up a lot of these guys and makes it look easy.
Especially when Matt was at the top of his game
it doesn't help most the divisions over the age of 35.
The only guy i see consistently getting the better of Matt is Woodley
these might be some tough guys for Matt to beat Covington RDA Usman.

Champion : Tyron Woodley

1 Colby Covington (Interim Champion)
2 Darren Till
3 Rafael Dos Anjos
4 Stephen Thompson
5 Robbie Lawler
6 Kamaru Usman
7 Demian Maia
8 Neil Magny
9 Jorge Masvidal
10 Santiago Ponzinibbio
11 Leon Edwards
12 Donald Cerrone
13 Gunnar Nelson
14 Alex Oliveira
15 Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos *

I disagree and I dont understand how you can say that by looking at hes technique and the technique of hes opposition. You cant think about all the glits and glamour surrounding Hughes in terms of title defences and how much he meant for the sport and thats hes HOFer ect. Just look at how he throw punches and the limited grapling experience of hes opponents and what techniques and passes he used to dominate.

Small things like fighters showing ticks and wind up punches was very prevelant in the Hughes days. Footwork was basic. Graplers didnt know how to blend high level jits and wrestling flawlessy. I could go on for days about the difference from the days of UFC 60 until UFC 229.
I dunno what you see Hughes doing that is so amazing compared to todays top WWs.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I don't think he could be a champion but you're crazy if you don't think he couldn't put somebody like Jorge Masvidal Neil Magny on the ground and keep them there. The two of those guys don't exactly have Elite takedown defense and if you don't have the ability to get back up on their feet consistently. So basically you can just drag and do the ground and beat the hell out of them and win a decision. You also have somebody like Demian Maia who is past his best but still in the top 15 who would have absolutely nothing for Matt.
You also have Robby I honestly don't know what to think about that because I think Robby could beat him but Matt might be too far deep in his head because he spent years beating the hell out of him.
I'm sorry but the only guys who can defeat Matt are fighters who match wrestling ability. Especially when he was at his best.
just an FYI a lot of the guys from yesteryear can be competitive in 2 days divisions. When they were at their best. Like you says he think Tito couldn't wrestle his way to up in the trash light heavyweight division then get beat up by gustason or DC?

Jesus Christ a 35 year old Dan the Beast Severn might be at top 15 heavyweight still that's just how bad that division is.

Pound for pound strength and pure wrestling goes to Hughes, but there are things taught in judo and combat sambo that wrestlers aerent trained to defend.

Tiramisu takes that one.

Prime Hughes is strong as an ox.
He beats kaboob via farm boy strength and bad ass wrestling. Hes too strong for kaboob.
His striking while pretty bad is still clearly better than Kaboobs. Much more power in his hands,slightly better boxing technique and better kicks.
Better TDs, vicious elbows, better conditioning.
Prime Hughes all day and it's not close.

Hughes was a fair animal. I think Hughes would be VERY hard for him to take down. But if he managed it, I could see him controlling him, taking back and finishing him with GnP or sub

prime Hughes was a monster

Remember Khabib is said to outrgapple bigger wrestlers all the time in training, even DC. So who you think would win? Fight would be at WW.

Also, not even sure how much bigger Hughes was, if any.. Fighters cut less weight back then.

Hughes in his prime was during the steroid era, and he was jacked up on PEDs, so which Hughes are we talking about?

Both their strikings are poor, so it might end in a stalemate. Ferguson, though, would destroy Hughes.

Hughes in his prime was during the steroid era, and he was jacked up on PEDs, so which Hughes are we talking about?

Both their strikings are poor, so it might end in a stalemate. Ferguson, though, would destroy Hughes.

Prime Hughes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back