Prime Cormier vs Prime Cain Velasquez

Cain is better everywhere

His mma wrestling has shown to be way more effective

His striking is better and more varied, narrowly missing a spinning wheel kick on a 6 foot 5 Travis Brown was crazy, plus he has solid quick hands and head movement

His cardio is better

DC wouldn't beat him, he has come out and said it multiple times, there is absolutely no reason to disbelieve him

So DC fights better when he doesnt have to cut weight. You think the same wouldnt be true for Jones, who is younger, bigger and better than DC at fighting?
It doesn't all work like that. Firstly, DC fought Jones drained, whereas Jon wasn't really drained. Secondly, Jon might not keep his quickness or stamina with extra weight.

Who would win?

A hypothetical match up. I don't know who would have won that fight. But, some people talk about Cormier being the goat, but I don't agree with that. People forget Cormier was a heavyweight who cut to lightheavy, then went back up. I don't know why he get a double credit for getting his ass kicked twice by Jones and then beating Stipe by 'moving up', I love Cormier, but just little wierd.
Cain is too vicious for DC . DC is a competitive guy but doesnt have that kind of killer instinct .

I think DC should have stayed at HW instead of fuckin w Jones

Hes never lost a round at HW and his buddy has essentially been retired for the better part of the decade

The issue for me though is I think Jones beat DC exploiting the kind of weaknesses that DC perhaps thought he was avoiding more by moving to LHW, fighting taller guys who could target him with knees and kicks. DC might not have lost a round at HW but I think he did have quite a few iffy looking fights like Mir or Barnett that showed up those issues.

Guys like Werdum or Reem especially I could have seen causing DC issues if he'd stayed at HW.

DC is a sportsman.

Cain is an animal. He is a bigger, badder, more vicious DC.

Cain wins 9/10.

Cain for sure. I remember Cormier saying that if Cain challenged Stipe for the HW belt and lost, there was no way that he'd fight Stipe because DC can't beat Cain. This was at the UFC 220 post fight presser.

View attachment 456967
King Mo was also guillotined by James Toney.

people seem to forget how good cain was

Cain is too vicious for DC . DC is a competitive guy but doesnt have that kind of killer instinct .
I just think of Cain vs Silva 2. That was among the most vicious beatings we've seen in the UFC.

I thinks its a lot closer than most are saying tbh.

Optimus Prime vs Prime Rib...discuss amongst yaselves...

source.gif

giphy.gif

We don't know. Speculation fest all over the sherdog. They have similar style and skillset. I would subjectivley pick Cain but this is just me talking with my silver belt ass.

DC is buddies with Cain but everyone knows that Cain is not on DC's level. Although I would have picked Cain to beat Jones. So I know nothing,

DC is buddies with Cain but everyone knows that Cain is not on DC's level. Although I would have picked Cain to beat Jones. So I know nothing,

I think style wise Cain is(or was) a worse matchup for Jones, he's just that much more agile/quick to the degree I think he could land on Jones with power more plus had better cardio.

DC potentially beating Cain would IMHO probably happen via catching him with boxing close in similar to Stipe but Jones doesn't have that kind of power in his hands.

I think style wise Cain is(or was) a worse matchup for Jones, he's just that much more agile/quick to the degree I think he could land on Jones with power more plus had better cardio.

DC potentially beating Cain would IMHO probably happen via catching him with boxing close in similar to Stipe but Jones doesn't have that kind of power in his hands.

DC is faster than Cain

Cain for sure. I remember Cormier saying that if Cain challenged Stipe for the HW belt and lost, there was no way that he'd fight Stipe because DC can't beat Cain. This was at the UFC 220 post fight presser.

View attachment 456967
lol Cormier always pretends to be humble and it is only sparring. Cain has a glass jaw.

So DC fights better when he doesnt have to cut weight. You think the same wouldnt be true for Jones, who is younger, bigger and better than DC at fighting?
He wouldn't because he is scared to try it. He gets destroyed by He's in training. Overeem and even mir easily puts a beating on Jones. His style only works when he has a huge size and reach advantage. When size is similar and the reach is negated to an extent, he is rendered useless.
Against DC at HW? probably his only favourable matchup at HW apart from a few cans but DC has power at HW. So even his best matchup would be a tough ask for him. He was juiced to the gills anyway when he fought Cormier.
Jones would lose to even fodders like Marvin tybura imo.

DC for sure. He is an unbeaten HW. Cain lost to people that DC would have beaten.

Better boxing. Better wrestling. Better chin and durability in general.

Cain has a higher output but is far more fragile and chinny.

Cain only lost coming off of long layoffs due to injury. Cains overall MMA game, his transitions from striking to grappling are a lot smoother. Also, his pace and cardio absolutely dwarf anything DC can do.

Back