Prime Cormier vs Prime Cain Velasquez

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Who would win?

A hypothetical match up. I don't know who would have won that fight. But, some people talk about Cormier being the goat, but I don't agree with that. People forget Cormier was a heavyweight who cut to lightheavy, then went back up. I don't know why he get a double credit for getting his ass kicked twice by Jones and then beating Stipe by 'moving up', I love Cormier, but just little wierd.

Cain for sure. I remember Cormier saying that if Cain challenged Stipe for the HW belt and lost, there was no way that he'd fight Stipe because DC can't beat Cain. This was at the UFC 220 post fight presser.

we.PNG

Would have been one of the greatest fights of all time. I see that possible fight as highly competitive, could go either way. Shame it never can happen, i hope we at least get Jon Jones vs Cain one day.

DC. Cain could have been the GOAT but he gets hurt too much. If DC and Cain weren't both at AKA, I'd have loved to see a fight between them.

DC for sure. He is an unbeaten HW. Cain lost to people that DC would have beaten.

Better boxing. Better wrestling. Better chin and durability in general.

Cain has a higher output but is far more fragile and chinny.

Heavyweight DC, even now at nearly 40, beats anyone in the history in the sport. While Jones has his number at LHW, I doubt he could take his punches and leg kicks at HW. And DC has better boxing and a much better chin than Cain, so he'd likely knock him out on the feet.

DC being humble

He beats Cain imo

I think maybe shows you the difference between sparing and fighting, in a sparing session were pace/cardio is king I can definitely see Cain having an edge, DC's advantage would IMHO be a superior chin and arguably better defence.

Prime vs Prime I think either DC finishes Cain inside the first 2-3 rounds or he loses a decision.

Who would win?

A hypothetical match up. I don't know who would have won that fight. But, some people talk about Cormier being the goat, but I don't agree with that. People forget Cormier was a heavyweight who cut to lightheavy, then went back up. I don't know why he get a double credit for getting his ass kicked twice by Jones and then beating Stipe by 'moving up', I love Cormier, but just little wierd.
The only reason I don’t bring up Cain as a goat, is there’s a lack of sample size to balance out his 2 losses. Health issues for sure robbed us of a guy who could have convinced me he was the goat HW. But when I look at his record, he got flush ko’d by jds and submitted by Werdum, which are probably the only guys I would have considered serious title contenders. I don’t give him much credit for beating up guys like Travis Browne and big foot because I think anyone in the goat HW discussion beats them handily. If he came back and threw together a couple wins over guys like stipe, blaydes, etc, I’d be convinced but for me he just doesn’t have enough to compete with DC or stipes resume

Cain's injuries probably had a lot to do with his sparring with DC also. Dc probably put Cain through the grinder and his tougher frame won out over time. Turning Cain into a walking injury trap.

DC fucks Cain up.

I don't care what DC said. DC has always been a better fighter than Cain.

Sea level Cain whoops everybody... including prime Cain...

Heavyweight DC, even now at nearly 40, beats anyone in the history in the sport. While Jones has his number at LHW, I doubt he could take his punches and leg kicks at HW. And DC has better boxing and a much better chin than Cain, so he'd likely knock him out on the feet.

So DC fights better when he doesnt have to cut weight. You think the same wouldnt be true for Jones, who is younger, bigger and better than DC at fighting?

DC is the better striker, I lean toward him

So DC fights better when he doesnt have to cut weight. You think the same wouldnt be true for Jones, who is younger, bigger and better than DC at fighting?

No.

Dc has had kidney issues in the past so weightcuts are tougher on him.

Jones likely loses speed at HW as well.

I think DC should have stayed at HW instead of fuckin w Jones

Hes never lost a round at HW and his buddy has essentially been retired for the better part of the decade

No.

Dc has had kidney issues in the past so weightcuts are tougher on him.

Jones likely loses speed at HW as well.

Why do you think Jones loses attributes if he moves to HW?

You act like DC gains all this power at HW but the same wouldn't be true for Jones

Fact is Jones will wear that extra weight a lot better than DC does

Jones could bulk up to 240 and he would still look thin because of his huge frame

DC looked fat at LHW and is already 0-2 against him but DC wins because he gets magic powers at HW? Doubtful

Back