Prime BJ does not beat any current top 10 LW.

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
Because Prime BJ himself was criminally overrated. He was the "best" LW at the time only by default because he was the champion for a period. Similar to Johny Hendricks. Hendricks was the "best" but he is never mentioned in the all time great WW list. But there are fools who still think of BJ as one of the best LWs ever.

Prime BJ's longest win streak was 3. Three! Prime BJ had a .500 record (UFC 58 to UFC 118).

Prime BJ was "unmotivated." The lack of motivation did not come after his prime but smack dab in the middle of it. It is the most bullshit excuse ever made for a fighter. Unmotivated BJ Penn is BJ Penn. Just like fat Roy Nelson is Roy Nelson.

But the BJ cult was strong back in the day. I was a new-ish fan back then so I did not fall for it. BJ seem so average to me. But damn, so many thought he was the GOAT. Some still think he's the LW GOAT.

No way Prime BJ beats Tony, Khabib, Porier, Geathje etc.

He beats them all.

4v5ngg.gif

The LW GOAT is back.

Because Prime BJ himself was criminally overrated. He was the "best" LW at the time only by default because he was the champion for a period. Similar to Johny Hendricks. Hendricks was the "best" but he is never mentioned in the all time great WW list. But there are fools who still think of BJ as one of the best LWs ever.

Prime BJ's longest win streak was 3. Three! Prime BJ had a .500 record (UFC 58 to UFC 118).

Prime BJ was "unmotivated." The lack of motivation did not come after his prime but smack dab in the middle of it. It is the most bullshit excuse ever made for a fighter. Unmotivated BJ Penn is BJ Penn. Just like fat Roy Nelson is Roy Nelson.

But the BJ cult was strong back in the day. I was a new-ish fan back then so I did not fall for it. BJ seem so average to me. But damn, so many thought he was the GOAT. Some still think he's the LW GOAT.

You win the dumbest thread of the day award

The BJ Penn that beat Diego would certainly beat a number of top 10 guys, and would be competitive (or better) with almost the entire division (I don't think he would be the best though).

Edit: The best Penn was the one who had his conditioning on point, which actually was a smaller timeframe than what is stated in the OP.

He would beat some of them for sure and hold his own against any of them. A good chin with good boxing and good bjj goes a long way. Prime penn was better than Eddie, Gaethje and that bum Vick.

Prime BJ had elite BJJ and some of the best hands we've ever seen in the LW division.

You can't just go off win/loss ratios or the last 10 years of BJ's past prime performances.

On his day he was a nightmare for anyone.

KO'd Hughes for the WW belt, outwrestled Fitch who had 20lbs on him until he gassed and came away with a draw, went to a decision with HW Machida, smashed prime Diego, Sherk, Kenflo, Pulver, Gomi.

Gave GSP all he could handle the first time round.
display_image.jpg

You're a noob who doesn't know his history.

You can't just go off win/loss ratios or the last 10 years of BJ's past prime performances.

I excluded his post Edgar fights from his prime period. Still a .500 fighter.

<DisgustingHHH>

You win the dumbest thread of the day award

There should be a system by which a poster who makes a claim this stupid is forever marked as someone whose opinion shouldn't be taken seriously in the future. Not joking. Claiming BJ would lose to any top LW is disqualifying.

Prime BJ beats them all.

Back