Crime Police Officer Arrives on Scene, Shoots and Kills Armed Security Guard

who wants to be a cop?
In the smaller departments, that’s a great question. In the large metropolitan departments it can be lucrative with great benefits so there are a lot of added incentive in there. The only thing is you have to be smart and watch your ass.

When I was an Armed Guard, we had a visible Uniform, So I agree that a real Uniform should be mandatory, not just a few bright pin strips like your picture.
Ya a full uniform of some sort is even better. Mine would be a minimum standard.

You have US gun nuts proclaiming arming citizens, more and more citizens, is the best way to prevent crime but we will see more and more police killing citizen interveners who are trying to stop crimes when the police show up on scene, see a gun and just starting firing before trying to figure who is a good guy, or bad.

This one hasn't been clarified. They said he did not fire the shots but was involved. Possibly with the shooter. Other pics show him posing with guns prior to the shooting.

No indication he was just a good samaritan. And no indication yet that he was a bad guy. Also the Army pic is kind of a lie too, various outlets reporting he was a washout from AIT.

ALL that said, you need to ID your target before you fire. You also need to be sure there is a threat before you fire.

Think of being a security guard, you just had a violent confrontation with a gunman, were close to shots fired or fired them yourself and are amped up holding down a gunman. Now officers arrive and start giving that guy commands. Big chance he doesn't hear them or has auditory exclusion and is not even registering them.

Guy probably has the basic training required to be a security guard and most training for something like what had just occurred. Not surprising he could not or did not follow commands.

TLDR:
Cops need to ID their target
The target needs to be a threat
People in a violent confrontation may not always be able to immediately recognize and follow commands.
Yeah I can only imagine the adrenaline rush and the pounding of his own blood in his ears, not to mention it being after the loud noises of gunfire indoors.

Ya a full uniform of some sort is even better. Mine would be a minimum standard.

You have US gun nuts proclaiming arming citizens, more and more citizens, is the best way to prevent crime but we will see more and more police killing citizen interveners who are trying to stop crimes when the police show up on scene, see a gun and just starting firing before trying to figure who is a good guy, or bad.

Well the old saying is true. When seconds count, cops are minutes away. Not that I think everyone should be armed. There are dumbass people that have no business having a carry permit.

Also, Cops are not here to protect people the SC already decided that. They are Law enforcement, which happens after a law has been broken. https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/...ot-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

That was not the case I was looking for, but works. I was trying to find a case were 3 women were in an apartment and got broken into, called police. Cops showed up, knocked but didn't get an answer so he left. The burglar raped and beat all three of them while the cop was apparently right outside.. Court ruled Cops have no duty to protect anyone. SO in light of that, I find it best to protect yourself.

As a guy who used to do armed security, this situation never really crossed my mind. Was the guard in a visible uniform at the time? If so, the cop should go to jail for murder.

How ever, it is a scary thought and you really do bring up a great point about carrying a gun. Concealed carry people do occasionally get sucked into a violent situation and deal with it, how then do arriving cops then sort it out with out killing more people? How do they on the fly figure out who is good guy and who is bad guys? It is even more complicated in the wake of Columbine, with officers now prone to run in and shoot first and think later. (They were heavily criticized in the wake of Columbine for not being more aggressive and waiting)

I think more training for sure. Taxes need to be raised and the mostly abysmal tactical training cops get should be greatly expanded. As well their should be some mandatory training for armed Guards. Maybe train them to drop all weapons and assume the felony position when cops arrive? Clearly something needs to be changed.
Raise taxes? Gasp!
Inb4 taxes are already too high whine bags.
To me it's obviously a training issue. I don't have the source at hand at the moment, but I recall reading an article a while back about some municipalities that instituted extra training and instances of gun use were reduced substantially without any apparent increase in danger for the officers. This is where the government needs to step in and mandate a minimum training standard and ensure the funds are there to make it possible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back