People Really Overreacted to Mario Yamasaki

Overreaction in regard to Mario, underraction regarding the UFC's responsibility.

Dana White, being the scumbag that he is, threw the referee under the bus like he was the only one to blame, and people bought into it — while simultaneously ignoring who matched those girls up to even begin with.
Boom.

Nobody complained when Khabib pillow fisted Barbour for three rounds. Shevchenko pillow fisted this chick for less than half that time.

Every ref has had multiple missteps. Herb has jumped the gun and also let the fights go on too long.

Big John. Leivine. Everyone. I don’t think Yamasaki is any worse than the others. He just probably didn’t suck the dicks of people he was supposed to keep his job.

Overreaction in regard to Mario, underraction regarding the UFC's responsibility.

Dana White, being the scumbag that he is, threw the referee under the bus like he was the only one to blame, and people bought into it — while simultaneously ignoring who matched those girls up to even begin with.
What was the fault of who matched the fight? They are fighters, they have to be able to fight against anyone that UFC put forward in the same weight!

Yamasaki is exactly who you want as your ref if you are one of the fighters.

In the Shevchenko/Cachoeira fight. Mario has become a meme at this point and I haven't seen him ref since. "Imagine if Mario was reffing that fight," is what I often hear but can you off the top of your head remember another fight where Mario had an incredibly late stoppage? I'm sure he's had some bad calls, but in that regard, he's not the worst. Far from it in fact.

Cachoeira was outmatched but she was never even close to being KOed unconscious. She wasn't taking any damage that is above the norm for MMA and only in hindsight do we know that she wasn't going to make a come back.

We've seen far worse. Look at a fight like Gaethje/Poirier, JDS/Cain, Lauzon/Miller, Mir/Carwin, Weidman/Munoz and countless others for fights where you should be worried about the health and career of fighter. Even Pennington/Nunes was more brutal.

Pure overreaction by Dana. We have seen much worse and not a peep.

It fitted his agenda though to get rid of Mario.

FIGHT WILL GO FOR AS LONG AS THEY HAVE TOO
UNTIL A FIGHTER IN UNCONCIOUS OR YELLS "STOP"

oh wait r those the rules too FIGHT CLUB?

im not supposed to talk about fight club...

Mario Yamasaki is far from the best ref but his brother Fernando is even worse.

Now that Marc Goddard works in America, we don't need sub-par refs in the UFC.

I thought his performance in the Lee/Chiesa fight was way worse than his hesitation to end Shevchenko/Cachoeira. Cachoeira wasn't really out of it and still trying to defend herself, she just didn't have any chance, so it was possible to stop it earlier but it wasn't a must. Pulling a Montreal Screwjob on Chiesa however, now that's shitty reffing right there.
I didn't mind mind the Chiesa stoppage at all, as it looked to me that he was trying to tap but was going out while in real time. Plus, even if Mario did not stop that, he is getting slept 100 outta 100 times with someone like Lee on his back and the sqooze locked in - this ain't WMMA where top ten fighters can finish a fully sunk in RNC. Chiesa getting up and complaining is what caused this whole mess, but he is the type of guys that can't take a loss anyways (see Tiki vs Robbie), especially versus someone that spoke badly about his Mom :)

Upsets don't happen? And like I said, it wasn't anything excessive that we haven't seen in MMA before.
Course they do,

But we don't book Mighty Mouse vs Stipe because of the off chance MM KOs him with a perfectly timed flying knee.

That's an extreme example but you get my point? There is always a chance of upset but its all about how likely that is...in this case it was extremely low and the lower the weight the higher the chance of a predictable outcome as mass gives explosive power to change outcomes.

Winslow is the shittiest ref ever. Mario is not even comparable to the magnitude of awful that Winslow is. Does she even ref anymore ?

What was the fault of who matched the fight? They are fighters, they have to be able to fight against anyone that UFC put forward in the same weight!
Dumbest thing I’ve read here today.

Yamasaki is a really sick, dark guy. Really gets off on the blood being spilled and pain inflicted. Every fight he refs is an opportunity to make another blood sacrifice to Lucifer, his unholy liege.

In the Shevchenko/Cachoeira fight. Mario has become a meme at this point and I haven't seen him ref since. "Imagine if Mario was reffing that fight," is what I often hear but can you off the top of your head remember another fight where Mario had an incredibly late stoppage? I'm sure he's had some bad calls, but in that regard, he's not the worst. Far from it in fact.

Cachoeira was outmatched but she was never even close to being KOed unconscious. She wasn't taking any damage that is above the norm for MMA and only in hindsight do we know that she wasn't going to make a come back.

We've seen far worse. Look at a fight like Gaethje/Poirier, JDS/Cain, Lauzon/Miller, Mir/Carwin, Weidman/Munoz and countless others for fights where you should be worried about the health and career of fighter. Even Pennington/Nunes was more brutal.

I think Worst stolage is Weidman vs Rockwell. Its like never ending.

I even had some dream that Luke is still punching him to this day.

He had made a couple of bad calls, I thought, before that. I think 1 was a submission that he couldn't see the fighter tapping to and he went out, Lewis and Browne when Browne took a few extra shots, IIRC.

Refs are always going to make mistakes. I don't think Yamasaki made as bad a one as Dean did in the Rockhold and Weidman fight when Weidman was getting his head cracked for over a minute.

Though now the issue of corners stopping fights has come up - that for me was one instance when I think Longo or Serra should have thrown the towel in/not let him off the stool instead of waiting on the ref to stop it.

That fight traumatized Weidnan and his father.

Chris was never the same he went from destroying Silva to getting sliced by Romero and that other guy who kneed him again.

Mazzagatti will always be the ultimate Just Bleed Referee. Yamasaki is just a pretender to the throne.

Back