People Really Overreacted to Mario Yamasaki

Reign009

Not sure if serious.
Reaction score
In the Shevchenko/Cachoeira fight. Mario has become a meme at this point and I haven't seen him ref since. "Imagine if Mario was reffing that fight," is what I often hear but can you off the top of your head remember another fight where Mario had an incredibly late stoppage? I'm sure he's had some bad calls, but in that regard, he's not the worst. Far from it in fact.

Cachoeira was outmatched but she was never even close to being KOed unconscious. She wasn't taking any damage that is above the norm for MMA and only in hindsight do we know that she wasn't going to make a come back.

We've seen far worse. Look at a fight like Gaethje/Poirier, JDS/Cain, Lauzon/Miller, Mir/Carwin, Weidman/Munoz and countless others for fights where you should be worried about the health and career of fighter. Even Pennington/Nunes was more brutal.

Cachoeira was outmatched but she was never even close to being KOed unconscious. She wasn't taking any damage that is above the norm for MMA and only in hindsight do we know that she wasn't going to make a come back.

But thats kind of the point, it was a squash match. The only outcome was a further beating.

Its not his worst, he's just not great at his job. I don't get the hysteria though.

But thats kind of the point, it was a squash match. The only outcome was a further beating.

Its not his worst, he's just not great at his job. I don't get the hysteria though.

Upsets don't happen? And like I said, it wasn't anything excessive that we haven't seen in MMA before.

"Overreated"? I'm not the grammar police, but you should probably get the headline correct.

I totally overate the popcorn watching Mario ref that Valentina fight.

Overreaction in regard to Mario, underraction regarding the UFC's responsibility.

Dana White, being the scumbag that he is, threw the referee under the bus like he was the only one to blame, and people bought into it — while simultaneously ignoring who matched those girls up to even begin with.

"Overreated"? I'm not the grammar police, but you should probably get the headline correct.

Lol damn I missed a "c". I'm not sure I can edit the title though, can I?

100% true.
Shevchenko vs Cachoeira wasn't that bad.

Overreaction in regard to Mario, underraction regarding the UFC's responsibility.

Dana White, being the scumbag that he is, threw the referee under the bus like he was the only one to blame, and people bought into it.

This is true. The UFC, her corner and Mario are all responsible. The UFC for making that god awful mismatch, Mario for letting a girl with a torn ACL take almost 300 straight strikes and get choked out before he stopped it and her corner because hilariously that fight went 2 rounds and they let her go back out there on one leg to get beat down more. People are bitching about Pennington over the weekend and this shit was like 10x worse

People only blame Mario and he deserves it but there is plenty of blame to go around for that shit show

People only blame Mario and he deserves it but there is plenty of blame to go around for that shit show

This. Fuck Mario, but not only Mario is where I'm getting at.

well it wasnt a fight, it was a bear mauling a kitten. Couldve been stopped way before that rnc....

I agree

The fact that he’s having to do this “learning how to ref again” song and dance when he’s officiated some of the biggest fights for a number of years is sad. Especially when the UFC wasn’t greatly criticized for making the match in the first place. I feel sorry for him when you consider if that match were between two men and it went the same way(as many have) it wouldn’t have been a big deal.

In the Shevchenko/Cachoeira fight. Mario has become a meme at this point and I haven't seen him ref since. "Imagine if Mario was reffing that fight," is what I often hear but can you off the top of your head remember another fight where Mario had an incredibly late stoppage? I'm sure he's had some bad calls, but in that regard, he's not the worst. Far from it in fact.

We've seen far worse. Look at a fight like Gaethje/Poirier, JDS/Cain, Lauzon/Miller, Mir/Carwin, Weidman/Munoz and countless others for fights where you should be worried about the health and career of fighter. Even Pennington/Nunes was more brutal.

Trying to defend Mario by proving the opposite point. Gotcha.

She didn't display the skill or technique to get out of the position. It's like when Roy Nelson was putting people in the crucifix. Sure they weren't getting damaged but they had no clue how to escape and were taking strikes. In this case the women wasn't getting tapped with punches.

That fight should have been stopped way earlier, but yeah I couldn't believe the ufc made that match. An angry Shevchenko is not a gal to mess with

I think Mario is a good referee. I dont like early stoppages.

It's how the internet works. That stoppage wasn't that egregious but internet herd behaviour snowballed this issue into something way much bigger than it actually was. Of course Mario didn't help things too much with the "I let her be a warrior" note. He should have paid the usual lip service to fighters's safety yadda yadda (when people don't really care about it but it makes you win internet cred points). Same with with Pennington's corner not throwing the towel.

If you really care about CTE, you should send a letter to your elected representatives letting they know that you think MMA, boxing and other contact sports should be banned for the sake of public health and discouraging alleged illegal activities that are ancillary to these sports (money laundering etc.).

She didn't display the skill or technique to get out of the position. It's like when Roy Nelson was putting people in the crucifix. Sure they weren't getting damaged but they had no clue how to escape and were taking strikes. In this case the women wasn't getting tapped with punches.

Every time Mario was close to stop the fight Cachoeira would move or try to do something. She wasn't just lying there absorbing punishment without moving.

tumblr_p3rf0jwQsE1wkl7qxo1_1280.jpg

Back