Peak W Klitchko vs peak Lewis

Tough to call. I'd pick Lewis though.

Probably wouldn't be fan friendly though. Mostly pawing jabs and the occassional right hand.

Lewis was almost always the physical specimen in his fights so it's always interesting to watch big guys suddenly run into someone of a similar size.

And right there you have shown exactly how deep your boxing knowledge is

McCall was a seasoned fighter and while not anything special, was always considered hard work and is why Tyson used to bring him in to get him in shape, as he knew he would never have an easy ride

Rahman is a bit different, once considered a very good prospect, who ended up in the mix with the likes of Ibeabuchi, Tua, Maskaev, Biggs, Donald and Williams, even more amusing is the fact he knocked the fuck out of Sanders, who starched Klitschko in 2 rounds

Klitschko was a great champion for the period he fought in, but he didnt get the high profile wins that litter Lewis career, and that's not because he couldnt fight them, its because if he had, he wouldnt have been a champion in the first place

Sanders gave Vitali hell. And Vitali retired Lewis

Sanders gave Vitali hell. And Vitali retired Lewis

You seem kind of mixed up on that one also, the fight that was meant to happen was Lewis v Kirk Johnson as a retirement fight(for Lewis), Johnson pulled out and the Klitschko fight was made on short notice, so regardless of who Lewis fought, it was his swansong

Nobody retired Lewis, he was actually retiring anyway after the Johnson fight and it was widely publicised at the time

Is your entire boxing knowledge coming from boxrec or idiots on other forums by any chance?

FFS.

Lewis might get caught, but against big dudes he normally went out in seek & destroy mode, & Wladdy gets destroyed IMO.

& for the chumps saying "Oh but Lewis was knocked out by lower-level fighters" there's a fuckin' world of difference between losing to Rahman & McCall & losing to Brewster & Ross Fuckin' Puritty.
Not sure why McCall gets such a bad rap! He was clearly a hard fight for anyone, even the elite. Considering his mental deterioration was causing him to break down in the ring, his career is bound to have some L's, but Tyson and him are on video having vicious sparring sessions, and McCall got a W over not just Lewis, but also over old man Holmes who was still able to beat guys like Mercer later in his career. Lewis was giving him a boxing lesson the 2nd fight, and PEAK Lewis, the one with Steward, never lost to McCall... just Rahman, if you can consider "I just made a movie"-Lewis a PEAK version of LL. Both losses avenged. Never saw Wlad avenge his losses. (Edit: nvm, Brewster loss was avenged)

Last edited:
You seem kind of mixed up on that one also, the fight that was meant to happen was Lewis v Kirk Johnson as a retirement fight(for Lewis), Johnson pulled out and the Klitschko fight was made on short notice, so regardless of who Lewis fought, it was his swansong

Nobody retired Lewis, he was actually retiring anyway after the Johnson fight and it was widely publicised at the time

Is your entire boxing knowledge coming from boxrec or idiots on other forums by any chance?

Bullshit.

"Prior to the Klitschko fight Lewis at nearly 38 years of age had been telling members of the press that he would fight for many more years, and that just like fine wine he was getting better with age. After the scare he received in the fight he promised Vitali that he would give him a rematch."

That's not the way the momentum in that fight was going, at all. Lewis had just won the last two rounds (and the 4th was also close; having the fight 3-3 wouldn't be absurd) and actually had a long history of getting into slugfests ultimately pulling through. It's tough to say what was going to happen, but Vitali definitely didn't have the momentum in that fight.
I don’t know, sure Lewis snagged up a round or 2 before the fight got stopped but let’s not forget that Vitali had an inate ability to keep up that murderus thudding pace and shine in the late rounds of a fight. Simple fact is that we’ll never know.

Bullshit.

"Prior to the Klitschko fight Lewis at nearly 38 years of age had been telling members of the press that he would fight for many more years, and that just like fine wine he was getting better with age. After the scare he received in the fight he promised Vitali that he would give him a rematch."

No, he was preparing for retirement, i was actually an adult and alive when the fight was happening, so while it may not be avaialble on youtube/instagram/wikipedia, it was widely known it was his last fight, it was an easy fight for Lewis to retire on(the kirk Johnson fight)

I dont doubt in the slightest he had problems with Vitali, but Lewis was meant to have an easy night against Johnson and announce his retirement, he didnt have an easy night, and that generated buzz for a rematch...which he knew he couldnt and wouldnt prepare for

Last edited:
I think Wladimir has a better chance of beating Lewis than some will give him credit for. I expect a close decision for Wlad. Both men are risk averse, and both men were often the tallest men in their division. I don't recall Lewis fighting too many guys with comparable height that also had the pedigree that Wlad has. Obviously one of the largest criticisms leveled against him is that of the high level names that are absent on his resume. Still, when we look at the two in a head to head matchup, it's Wlad that would be more consistent, work his jab more and win a long, slow decision.

Lewis may try to force the issue but people forget that Lewis had a propensity for being very risk averse. Though he walked through some fire against Vitali, Vitali was not controlling the range. Lewis would - I imagine - become tentative and he would struggle.

Both men have exceptional ring IQ, and both men have lapses in activity, but, while I think Lewis may be the more complete and accomplished fighter in some ways, he would lose against Wlad.

Styles make fights, and here it bodes better for Wlad than Lennox.

I think Lewis would have gone after Wlad like he did Grant and Golota, in his prime and fighting someone who was vulnerable...he went for the kill

It would have been interesting, and if Wlad had not lost to Sanders, it would have happened

Let's be clear about one thing, Wladimir was a very talented boxer on a technical level. He was not as good a fighter as Lewis. No doubt about that. Lewis could slugg it out with anyone, conserve energy, switch tactics etc

Young Wlad punched himself out and didn't seem capable of handling slugg fests. This is why older Wlad is probably the only one that would stand a chance.

If you lose to Sanders, you will be cannon fodder for 80s Mike Tyson, let alone Lewis. I am having no illusions about that.

No, he was preparing for retirement, i was actually an adult and alive when the fight was happening, so while it may not be avaialble on youtube/instagram/wikipedia, it was widely known it was his last fight, it was an easy fight for Lewis to retire on(the kirk Johnson fight)

I dont doubt in the slightest he had problems with Vitali, but Lewis was meant to have an easy night against Johnson and announce his retirement, he didnt have an easy night, and that generated buzz for a rematch...which he knew he couldnt and wouldnt prepare for

It doesn't make it more true if you repeat it. So the press conference in which Lewis talked about fighting for many more years never took place? Or his false promise to give Vitali a rematch?

It doesn't make it more true if you repeat it. So the press conference in which Lewis talked about fighting for many more years never took place? Or his false promise to give Vitali a rematch?
How can you have a go at one of the only fighters to retire at the RIGHT time. And act as if it's a bad thing? Mate most of your arguments you switch Lewis for wlad and he comes off worse. There's a difference between having a decent discussion and going to serious lengths to discredit someone just to make a debate for a fantasy fight.

How can you have a go at one of the only fighters to retire at the RIGHT time. And act as if it's a bad thing? Mate most of your arguments you switch Lewis for wlad and he comes off worse. There's a difference between having a decent discussion and going to serious lengths to discredit someone just to make a debate for a fantasy fight.

Because he lied to Vitali

I think Lewis would have gone after Wlad like he did Grant and Golota, in his prime and fighting someone who was vulnerable...he went for the kill

It would have been interesting, and if Wlad had not lost to Sanders, it would have happened
Going right after Wlad is a dangerous game as he could get absolutely melted in the process.

Would have been a fun fight to see either way.

I think Wladimir has a better chance of beating Lewis than some will give him credit for. I expect a close decision for Wlad. Both men are risk averse, and both men were often the tallest men in their division. I don't recall Lewis fighting too many guys with comparable height that also had the pedigree that Wlad has. Obviously one of the largest criticisms leveled against him is that of the high level names that are absent on his resume. Still, when we look at the two in a head to head matchup, it's Wlad that would be more consistent, work his jab more and win a long, slow decision.

Lewis may try to force the issue but people forget that Lewis had a propensity for being very risk averse. Though he walked through some fire against Vitali, Vitali was not controlling the range. Lewis would - I imagine - become tentative and he would struggle.

Both men have exceptional ring IQ, and both men have lapses in activity, but, while I think Lewis may be the more complete and accomplished fighter in some ways, he would lose against Wlad.

Styles make fights, and here it bodes better for Wlad than Lennox.
Sorry if I misread what you were trying to say, but you compared jabs. You thought wladimir has a better jab. No. He doesn’t. Lennox has an atg jab. If you are bored and want to put a montage together for Lennox and wlad go for it. I’ll still explain which fighter has the better jab.

Sorry if I misread what you were trying to say, but you compared jabs. You thought wladimir has a better jab. No. He doesn’t. Lennox has an atg jab. If you are bored and want to put a montage together for Lennox and wlad go for it. I’ll still explain which fighter has the better jab.

Agree to disagree.

Why would I waste my time assembling a montage when we'll just disagree anyway? Makes no sense. It's an exercise in stupidty, much like asking someone to assemble a montage for that very purpose.

Peak Lewis was 92 in my opinion and he was scary.. Why did he change his style? He was much faster and elusive. His stance was also different. Did he just get old and put on weight? I think Lewis before Steward was better.

See Lewis- Ruddock and you know what I'm talking about.

Back