PBC - Porter vs Broner 6/20

Broner really needed to let his hands loose. I believe he cost himself the fight.

I actually don't think it was. I mean I see why casuals were bored and even many boxing fans. But I knew it was going to be that type of fight before it happened. Ive rewatched it twice in HD by myself and I think it's a beautiful chess match. Maybe it's just because it's Floyd and Manny. But watching them trying to figure each other out, working their game plans, and seeing how close most of the rounds actually were, etc. I think it's an awesome fight.

I agree, the chess match was awesome. Both trying to set up counters but niether falling for it.

Pac showed that he learned a lot from his previous losses.

I thought porter took it pretty comfortably but I wasn't scoring it. Broner landed the cleaner shots and porter did his chest to chest shit. I thought porter took it because it was his style of fight, ring generalship and all, but he was begging to get put to sleep lunging and rushing in like that.

Anyone think floyd fights porter now?

I enjoyed watching Broner flop like a fish when he fights from the ropes or when his opponent fights close to him. If he can't grab or back-peddle away he looks utterly clueless in there.

Everyone talks about the holding. The holding and clinching didn't bother me so much. It was a little excessive but Shawn invited it. It was the PUSHING which I objected to. Broner, like khan, is really uncomfortable inside. I had no problem with Amir losing points for pushing and I think Broner was pushing the limits of any single foul. And when presented with a situation where he needed to adjust, he didn't.

I enjoyed the fight. It was a close fight.People don't like Broner because he talks a lot of shit but he has talent.I don't know why he has to act like a jackass all the time though. " I'll take out his girl for dinner " , seriously ?

I have less than zero interest in seeing Floyd fight Porter. Shit fight of Floyd tying him up and getting out.

Give Porter a fighter.

Everyone talks about the holding. The holding and clinching didn't bother me so much. It was a little excessive but Shawn invited it. It was the PUSHING which I objected to. Broner, like khan, is really uncomfortable inside. I had no problem with Amir losing points for pushing and I think Broner was pushing the limits of any single foul. And when presented with a situation where he needed to adjust, he didn't.

I guess trying to fight on the inside is inviting holds?

I agree with you about the pushing, but I will take pushing over holds any day because pushing doesn't stop the action and render the opponent helpless within the rules..

I have less than zero interest in seeing Floyd fight Porter. Shit fight of Floyd tying him up and getting out.

Give Porter a fighter.

Im with ya... that would be an ugly fight

Im with ya... that would be an ugly fight

We already saw Maidana twice. Thats probably my least favorite possible matchup for Floy.

I guess trying to fight on the inside is inviting holds?

I agree with you about the pushing, but I will take pushing over holds any day because pushing doesn't stop the action and render the opponent helpless within the rules..

Shawn was coming in head first, and low. I'd tell anyone to tie-up in that position. And there were a good amount of clinches that Porter initiated himself. But Broner was a lot more flagrant about it, and also happened to be on top in the late going because Porter was securing the lower position.

And I disagree that pushing doesn't stop the action. It stops relevant action which is happening before the push. Porter needed to be inside, and Broner did a good job of making the middle-ground a no-man's land. Every time he pushed, he forced Porter to cross that ground again and regain position. On the other hand, when Porter was inside he usually had a hand free and was able to do some work. Even if it wasn't punishing, it was work that earned him points, roughing Andre up. And he wasn't getting any points outside or at middle range. That's why the pushing bothered me more.

Give Porter a fighter.

Floyd vs. Porter makes me cry.

Shawn was coming in head first, and low. I'd tell anyone to tie-up in that position. And there were a good amount of clinches that Porter initiated himself. But Broner was a lot more flagrant about it, and also happened to be on top in the late going because Porter was securing the lower position.

And I disagree that pushing doesn't stop the action. It stops relevant action which is happening before the push. Porter needed to be inside, and Broner did a good job of making the middle-ground a no-man's land. Every time he pushed, he forced Porter to cross that ground again and regain position. On the other hand, when Porter was inside he usually had a hand free and was able to do some work. Even if it wasn't punishing, it was work that earned him points, roughing Andre up. And he wasn't getting any points outside or at middle range.

He coming in throwing.. Moving away is safer than clinching if you want to avoid the head.. also a simple angle shift would get you out of the path.. Also, holding a clinch negates the purpose.. if you clinched to avoid the head while your opponent was coming in.. okay..w/e.. not illegal.. but to hold it is to negate anything that opponent could legally do from an infighting perspective and ultimately the ref is going to push him back outside where the head is going to be an issue again as the infighter tries to get back to where he fights..

On the pushing thing.. a good fighter will work when somebody tries to push them.. all it means is nothing is at home guarding the chin to me.. treat the extended arms as if they were very slow punches and work

Give Porter a fighter.

I agree. I don't want that fight at all, but the last person to whoop broner got floyd, I wouldn't be surprised but I hope it isn't porter

Moving away is safer than clinching if you want to avoid the head..

With all of Shawn's momentum coming forward and into Broner, he can't get much leverage to move. Good strategy by Porter, it won him the fight. Andre can clinch and pivot, which he neglected to do. And his holding was excessive. And he was deducted a point for it rightfully. But I think the pushing actually affected Porter's game more than the clinching. Porter wants to work in close, and the clinches didn't always stop him. And when they did, Broner got a warning. He probably could've been deducted a point at the 3rd warning.

Last edited:

Thats what I said earlier. Porter wasn't really coming in clean.

Broner was a little more guilty of fouling later in the fight though. The pushing down on the head is a bad foul. I have no issue wth points being taken for that.

Ever since Floyd/Maidana, fans have been confused about clinching and its legality.

Thats what I said earlier.

Broner was a little more guilty of fouling later in the fight though. The pushing down on the head is a bad foul. I have no issue wth points being taken for that.

Ever since Floyd/Maidana, fans have been confused about clinching and its legality.

No they arent.. people hardly notice a clinch because it gets released.. holds require referee intervention.. nobody is confused

No they arent.. people hardly notice a clinch because it gets release.. holds require referee intervention.. nobody is confused

You've been misleading a lot of people on this forum too. Deliberately, I think.

You've been misleading a lot of people on this forum too. Deliberately, I think.

It's one thing to call me misleading.. it's another to state why Im wrong...

It's one thing to call me misleading.. it's another to state why Im wrong...

You have been confused about the difference between a clinch and holding and have been making other fans who don't really know think the same thing.

Back