PBC - Porter vs Broner 6/20

I had a hard time getting into the fights last night. Not sure why. I had a hard time paying attention to Broner vs Porter, I turned off the Ward fight after a couple of rounds and went to bed during the 11th round of Ndam/Lemieux.

I agree that it was odd that people were riding Broner for the holding. When a guy is coming in dirty like that, holding is all you can really do. Thats why refs don't take points in those situations.

Not the most exciting night thats for sure. I knew this fight was going to be ugly.

Coming in dirty? I don't know what you guys are talking about there... He was just trying to infight..and everytime he threw more than 1 from that position, he got locked up...
People just don't like working for their distance vs. Porter.. Kell didn't like it..Broner didn't like it..and both took the easy route out of those situations by holding.

Meh. Porters inside work is essentially tangling his opponent up as well and throwing wild punches from there. Dont care for fighters like that personally. Makes for ugly fights.

He's nothing nice to watch..Ill agree there.. but when the opponent looks to fight, he's not tangled up.. he works when he can..and Broner and him had some good work infighting in the mid rounds after Broner got a hard warning and stopped holding..They had some nice exchanges then...

Kind of blows my mind that Broner held so much, because he was landing solid when he put his mind to it..he's a headcase I think

I dont disagree. When an opponent matches that style it works out pretty good. When guys want to box that style its usually a shit show. Broner needed to let his hands loose, hed have won it imo.

Dude thinks hes Mayweather. It is comedy.

He's nothing nice to watch..Ill agree there.. but when the opponent looks to fight, he's not tangled up.. he works when he can..and Broner and him had some good work infighting in the mid rounds after Broner got a hard warning and stopped holding..They had some nice exchanges then...

Kind of blows my mind that Broner held so much, because he was landing solid when he put his mind to it..he's a headcase I think

Yeah I think he is. The kid has speed, he can punch, (almost had Porter out of there), and he's pretty accurate when he punches. I can't figure AB out, he needs some growing up to do.

Yeah I think he is. The kid has speed, he can punch, (almost had Porter out of there), and he's pretty accurate when he punches. I can't figure AB out, he needs some growing up to do.

It's never gonna happen. Broner is what he is; a gatekeeper.

Broner doesn't know how to deal with guys that can fight on the inside, can't handle the onslaught and pressure. They are able to slip inside him easily. At the end of the fight in the interview you can see that a part of him now accepts he won't ever be the best. He accepted Shawn inside of him without much of a fight.

Fight got 2.4 million viewers.

I actually don't think it was. I mean I see why casuals were bored and even many boxing fans. But I knew it was going to be that type of fight before it happened. Ive rewatched it twice in HD by myself and I think it's a beautiful chess match. Maybe it's just because it's Floyd and Manny. But watching them trying to figure each other out, working their game plans, and seeing how close most of the rounds actually were, etc. I think it's an awesome fight.

it was, i agree. I have watched it 5 times, along with multiple slow mo high lights and gifs. But Floyd did land a number of clean shots, with good technique behind them.

That is the whole thing with Floyd. His power is so underrated, and he makes you miss a bunch, and lands a few hard shots. You second guess everything, and are shut down.

I knew this is exactly how the fight would go.

Im shocked at how so many people are saying this was a shit fight. I really enjoyed it. It was frustrating that it took so long to take a point away but what impressed me was no bitching at all from porter, he had every right to make appeals to the ref!

I had never really paid attention to porter outside of the ring but he always came across well, especially in the breif pre fight stuff for this I saw. Him saying to his dad "that aint us" won me over as a fan. Porter showed class in and out of the ring.

Broner fights Porter.

Thread turns into a Floyd/Pac convo.

0a7b682c-75dd-4c3d-8af2-7dc0f4197ee3.gif

Sammy!

Meh. Porters inside work is essentially tangling his opponent up as well and throwing wild punches from there. Dont care for fighters like that personally. Makes for ugly fights.

This, he completely smothers himself. He pretty much just rushes in chest to chest, of course the opponent is going to hold

I thought he showed an improved jab against Broner but that smothering style is ugly, I agree

Ugly fight....Difficult to watch.

I do think people are being a little too harsh on broner for clinching and holding. I would have done the same if porter was coming in like that.

Never thought I'd defend broner.

Porter clearly won. Glad I bet on him.

This, he completely smothers himself. He pretty much just rushes in chest to chest, of course the opponent is going to hold

I thought he showed an improved jab against Broner but that smothering style is ugly, I agree

The jab still looked awkward to me but man was is hard. Rarely do you see a crowd cheer for how hard a jab lands. Every time Broner's head snapped back, everyone cheered.

Ugly fight....Difficult to watch.

I do think people are being a little too harsh on broner for clinching and holding. I would have done the same if porter was coming in like that.

Never thought I'd defend broner.

Porter clearly won. Glad I bet on him.

Of course he was going to hold. I just didn't like the forearm across the throat of the pulling down of the head.

The jab still looked awkward to me but man was is hard. Rarely do you see a crowd cheer for how hard a jab lands. Every time Broner's head snapped back, everyone cheered.

I don't think that was the audience appreciating the quality of the jab so much as appreciating the fact that Adrien Broner just got punched in the face.

Back