Law [Partisan Gerrymandering News] Florida appeals court reverses ruling on DeSantis’s congressional maps

Nonsense. Gerrymandering has been an issue for years. It was predicted that gerrymandering would cause populist or extremist candidates to flourish, and to some degree that has indeed happened.

Right wing populism is infinitely better than left wing populism though. I am not against right wing populism in some cases.

Right wing populism is infinitely better than left wing populism though. I am not against right wing populism in some cases.
I could have guessed that you felt that way. Even if I were on a lethal dose of heroin and riding a rollercoaster. You could equally guess that I don't agree. Should we just stare at each other now?

I could have guessed that you felt that way. Even if I were on a lethal dose of heroin and riding a rollercoaster. You could equally guess that I don't agree. Should we just stare at each other now?

Weren't you a Bernie bro? Left wing populism would be right up your ally no?

Weren't you a Bernie bro? Left wing populism would be right up your ally no?
No. I think he's a good man but I don't like many of his proposals. And if the dems rigged the districts like the 'pubs did, we'd incentivize far left politics in electoral districts, so that the moderates we need would be at a disadvantage in congressional, and even senatorial elections. It would almost certainly have the bad result of eroding liberalism.

I can't understand anyone arguing for gerrymandering, it's plainly undemocratic

nc12.jpg

pa-07.jpg

Efficiency Gap

The usual legal story about partisan gerrymandering is relentlessly pessimistic. The courts did not even recognize the cause of action until the 1980s; they have never struck down a district plan on this basis; and four sitting Justices want to vacate the field altogether. The Supreme Court’s most recent gerrymandering decision, however, is the most encouraging development in this area in a generation. Several Justices expressed interest in the concept of partisan symmetry — the idea that a plan should treat the major parties symmetrically in terms of the conversion of votes to seats — and suggested that it could be shaped into a legal test.

In this Article, we take the Justices at their word. First, we introduce a new measure of partisan symmetry: the efficiency gap. It represents the difference between the parties’ respective wasted votes in an election, divided by the total number of votes cast. It captures, in a single tidy number, all of the packing and cracking decisions that go into a district plan. It also is superior to the metric of gerrymandering, partisan bias, that litigants and scholars have used until now. Partisan bias can be calculated only by shifting votes to simulate a hypothetical tied election. The efficiency gap eliminates the need for such counterfactual analysis.

Second, we compute the efficiency gap for congressional and state house plans between 1972 and 2012. Over this period as a whole, the typical plan was fairly balanced and neither party enjoyed a systematic advantage. But in recent years — and peaking in the 2012 election — plans have exhibited steadily larger and more pro-Republican gaps. In fact, the plans in effect today are the most extreme gerrymanders in modern history. And what is more, several likely will remain extreme for the remainder of the decade, as indicated by our sensitivity testing.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2457468

2012 is important because this is the first election under the new redictricting maps after the 2010 Census. It shows how extreme the GOP went about gerrymandering their districts, using new computer tools to really carve up districts for maximum political benefit. This Winconsin case in front of SCOTUS is so interesting because it has GOP State Rep who voted in support of it because it benefitted him at the time (retired in 2015) and the computer social scientist from Oklahoma who developed the program which the Wisconsin GOP used to carve up it's districts speaking against partisan gerrymandering.

John Kasich being party to this challenge on is RICH as hell though - he signed off on GOP gerrymandering in 2010 as Governor that gave him great majorities in State Legislature. Only now that he is termed out he's coming out against the practice? Look at Ohio's Congressional Representation - 12 Republicans and 4 Democrats in a state that is razors edge Presidentially with one Senator from each party - it's near a 50-50 state as you can find in America right now, but due to extreme gerrymandering they have 75% of US House Reps.

Look at the district maps and how ridiculous they look in order to maximize partisan packing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_congressional_delegations_from_Ohio

CPVI average for all GOP House Seats is R+9.5
CPVI average for all Dem House Seats is D+ 17.5

Last edited:
Its almost as if republicans became ultra skilled in benefitting from gerrymandering as a defense for the every increasing black and latino voting blocks of the democrats. The dems will continue to win the popular vote while the repubs control the majority of districts. Lol

Its almost as if republicans became ultra skilled in benefitting from gerrymandering as a defense for the every increasing black and latino voting blocks of the democrats. The dems will continue to win the popular vote while the repubs control the majority of districts. Lol
Ya not the same thing.....at all

My question is how they will establish, mathematically and geographically, what constitutes unconstitutional gerrymandering. That seems like a difficult thing for the courts to nail down. Could this be the first court opinion with a square root symbol in it? Plus, there's just no fucking way this court will stop Republicans from rigging districts.

Gerrymandering? I know it when I see it.

I think this has been a problem with our country since it's inception, and it's deceptively tricky to solve. For one thing, it's not within the power of the Supreme Court to effectively remove this power from sate legislatures, and that's where the monkey business happens.

No. I think he's a good man but I don't like many of his proposals. And if the dems rigged the districts like the 'pubs did, we'd incentivize far left politics in electoral districts, so that the moderates we need would be at a disadvantage in congressional, and even senatorial elections. It would almost certainly have the bad result of eroding liberalism.

the dems do rig districts, and even worse they rigged their nominations

Back