"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." (Rate this quote)

Rate this Quote.

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Classic quote.

image_1_1.png

there Are methods of torture which are sure to cause both pain and suffering

The thing about this quote is that there could be a time when you are complete numb by pain, so in a sense you don't suffer anymore. Like say if you a whipped a 1000 times, I don't think the pain is as significant by that point.

That's what it means I guess, it's all in the mind. The nerves sending the messages to your brain, you can literally cut it off in sense. I know it's not easy, but it is plausible to a degree.

The thing about this quote is that there could be a time when you are complete numb by pain, so in a sense you don't suffer anymore. Like say if you a whipped a 1000 times, I don't think the pain is as significant by that point.

That's what it means I guess, it's all in the mind. The nerves sending the messages to your brain, you can literally cut it off in sense. I know it's not easy, but it is plausible to a degree.

That's why the human race has taken torture to an art form, we've now got the means to inflict pain on new levels............. Got to love humans..........

Classic quote.

image_1_1.png
I don’t think that Buddha actually said that one :)

But it’s still a good quote.
The distinction here between pain and suffering is the distinction between something external happening to us, and the suffering we inflict on ourselves in its wake.

Example: getting laid off and losing your job causes mental/emotional pain, and that’s normal. But sinking into a pit of despair, drinking every day, blaming your former boss and co-workers, tearing yourself down over it, is the suffering part that really doesn’t have to be that way.

I gave it a 7.
<mma4>

The distinction here between pain and suffering is the distinction between something external happening to us, and the suffering we inflict on ourselves in its wake.

Example: getting laid off and losing your job causes mental/emotional pain, and that’s normal. But sinking into a pit of despair, drinking every day, blaming your former boss and co-workers, tearing yourself down over it, is the suffering part that really doesn’t have to be that way.

I gave it a 7.
<mma4>

Yeah good way of describing that quote in more detail. Thanks my friend.

I gave it a 7.
<mma4>

Can you hurry up and get to the vengeance bit!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back