OZ Reserve Bank Head - Aussies afraid of Foreigners and Robots

Grunk

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Interesting views from the Head of the Australian Reserve Bank - basically he is saying we are afraid of the amount of foreigners being let in that we won't ask for pay rises. Real average wages have fallen for 4 years and the Bank is saying thats a bad thing - however the clear policy of both our major parties is to drive down wages so we can get screwed by cheap imported labour. Sounds like our Executive arm and Finance arm our out of syn and we are all paying the price for that (ie both want to kiss the arse of the rich and screw the middle class)
----
Dr Lowe said workers were "worried about foreigners and robots" and that this fear of competition had discouraged them from asking for a pay rise.

"When anyone feels like there is more competition they are less inclined to put their price up," he said. "People also value security, one way to increase security is not to get a pay rise."

"The problems we are talking about here aren't going to be solved In a couple of years, they are going to be solved in a decade," he said.

Dr Lowe said he expected the tighter labour market to eventually result in people asking for higher wages and the distinction between "part time and full time work was old fashioned."

"Some people working a few less hours is a probably a good thing," he said.

Former Treasury chief Ken Henry laid the blame for lower wages on the shift in power from workers to technology.

"Real average weekly earnings have fallen over the last four years, no one wants that," said the National Australia Bank chairman.
----

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...ar-foreigners-and-robots-20170618-gwtr20.html

Who's not scared of robots? Haven't you guys seen Terminator?

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the idea of yellen, Geithner, Greenspan, or Bernanke making a statement like this.

Would never happen.

I work in the construction/miming and in the last 4 or 5 years theres been a drop in wages and an assualt on penalty rates, mainly due in part to imgrant workers and dwindling union memberships.

Nonsense. Anyone who values their skills at what they do and have a sense of pride will ask for a pay rise.

I work in the construction/miming and in the last 4 or 5 years theres been a drop in wages and an assualt on penalty rates, mainly due in part to imgrant workers and dwindling union memberships.

This sounds familiar. Strange that this seems to have occurred in all of the western world.

bachelorette-mimes-2.gif

457s the scam of big business.

Don't mention the big bad construction union, god people are fools. Whatever in the paper they parrot like idiots but can't see the correlation between their shity wages and non union membership.

457s the scam of big business.

Don't mention the big bad construction union, god people are fools. Whatever in the paper they parrot like idiots but can't see the correlation between their shity wages and non union membership.
Assassination via media.

Nonsense. Anyone who values their skills at what they do and have a sense of pride will ask for a pay rise.
What industry do you work in?

Theres a saying, the sqeaking wheel gets the grease. That no longer holds true, The sqeaking wheel gets replaced

Theres a saying, the sqeaking wheel gets the grease. That no longer holds true, The sqeaking wheel gets replaced

This.

Look at Queensland, most Queenslanders say nothing as they'll have no job a day later. The coal industry had it's back broken, the ports are under siege.

WA has almost no FIFO or construction work that has penalty rates because of the destruction of job safety due to labour hire companies. Wheatstone is the last union eba but it's on its last legs and not employing.

NT has inpex but we can see how that's going.
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...ood-down-laing-orouke-jkc/8355386?pfmredir=sm

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...e-jobs-on-inpex-lng-plant/8211380?pfmredir=sm

Laingers were/are a good company and so they're getting screwed.

Victoria is the last place where the union is strong but I haven't heard much from people so it may have changed.

Adani is a lie, there will be not 1 Aussie employed on the rail line as the Chinese free trade agreement ensured the welders are all Korean. The media is saying 10000 jobs will be created. What a load of shit, Barrow island was/is arguably one of the most complex construction projects and it had around 7000 on it. Smoke and mirrors.

Why i love my job.

Been there like 2 months and got a cpi increase because annual cpi figure came out. 4 months later a bonus. 8 months later 10% increase ontop of cpi. 6 months later bonus.

And the end of the mining construction boom.

This.

Look at Queensland, most Queenslanders say nothing as they'll have no job a day later. The coal industry had it's back broken, the ports are under siege.

WA has almost no FIFO or construction work that has penalty rates because of the destruction of job safety due to labour hire companies. Wheatstone is the last union eba but it's on its last legs and not employing.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...ood-down-laing-orouke-jkc/8355386?pfmredir=sm

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...e-jobs-on-inpex-lng-plant/8211380?pfmredir=sm

Victoria is the last place where the union is strong but I haven't heard much from people so it may have changed.

Adani is a lie, there will be not 1 Aussie employed on the rail line as the Chinese free trade agreement ensured the welders are all Korean. The media is saying 10000 jobs will be created. What a load of shit, Barrow island was/is arguably one of the most complex construction projects and it had around 7000 on it. Smoke and mirrors.

I think 1300 direct and indirect jobs is what Adanis economist stated. Over 10,000 is from their publicist.

I know who i believe.

Mining. My whole life. I have put the work in and it has literally paid off. Probably is different in other industries though.

This.

W.A mining rarely had penalty rates in the boom, just a high flat rate.

I think 1300 direct and indirect jobs is what Adanis economist stated. Over 10,000 is from their publicist.

I know who i believe.

Lol yeah. It's heavily subsidised, had massive amounts of irregularities in its documents(enough to stall the project), I believe they're aiming for a fully autonomous process as well
http://www.businessreviewaustralia....-partners-with-Komatsu-for-Carmichael-project

"Based in the Galilee Basin of western Queensland, the Carmichael coal project is a part of Adani’s vision to instill the first fully autonomous mining operation comprised of mine, railway and port in the world. The mine is expected to produce 60 million tons of coal each year with an estimated operating life of about 90 years.

There's nothing like Australian government to screw things up for tomorrows kids. India has so many coal fired powerstations being built and more approved, they need coal so what we'll do is destroy as many Australian companies by heavily subsidising a foreign company who'll employ no one.

Yeh Australia, it's like a brain trust for the retarded.

Back