Overwatch Official Discussion, v2: ELO Hell (hello darkness my old friend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally had a decent night of wins. I went D Va and my buddy went with Pharah. We just tried to flank and distract to get the other team to back up so the rest of our team could push forward.

A good tactic and one that works well if the enemy team doesn't start paying attention to the flanking. One of the most annoying flankers is Reaper. I hate when my team just ignores him. Had to change to Mei once and simply stay back shooting icicles and waiting for reapers eventual flank.

Ah is that why I see so many people using roadhog now isntead of DVA?

Its a two to three tank meta game right now. Roadhog shouldnt be picked over Diva for the sustained damage cant surpass hers (even with her shitty Ult). An while Roadhogs close quarters damage is broken it relies solely on a successful hook as the gap closer. An with the constant pick and up time of Reinhardts shield with narrow corridors that heavily limits Roadhogs hooking opportunities.

He's only viable in open spaces that permit pillar humping in angles of exposure that dont exceed his hook range.

Its a two to three tank meta game right now. Roadhog shouldnt be picked over Diva for the sustained damage cant surpass hers (even with her shitty Ult). An while Roadhogs close quarters damage is broken it relies solely on a successful hook as the gap closer. An with the constant pick and up time of Reinhardts shield with narrow corridors that heavily limits Roadhogs hooking opportunities.

He's only viable in open spaces that permit pillar humping in angles of exposure that dont exceed his hook range.

Yea I don't get it. I almost feel like I need to start picking Dva so someone else will go Rein and no one will go Roadhog. It happened in game after game last night.

On top of that I've been losing like crazy lately went from 2148 over the weekend to 1950.

A good tactic and one that works well if the enemy team doesn't start paying attention to the flanking. One of the most annoying flankers is Reaper. I hate when my team just ignores him. Had to change to Mei once and simply stay back shooting icicles and waiting for reapers eventual flank.

It feels like a lot of the teams I'm on will ignore flankers for some reason, and yeah it's Reaper a lot. I usually have to play back a little to keep an eye out for him.

I'm only a few hours into the game but I'm having a blast so far. One thing I noticed is most games I'm playing are very lopsided. My team usually dominates or get dominated. Very few competitive games. Is this normal? Matchmaking seems to be off. And why does it take forever to find a game on Xbox?

Also, how come no one ever wants to be healer? I usually end up as Lucio even though I don't really know how to utilize him properly yet.

I'm only a few hours into the game but I'm having a blast so far. One thing I noticed is most games I'm playing are very lopsided. My team usually dominates or get dominated. Very few competitive games. Is this normal? Matchmaking seems to be off. And why does it take forever to find a game on Xbox?

Also, how come no one ever wants to be healer? I usually end up as Lucio even though I don't really know how to utilize him properly yet.

Regarding matchmaking, as you said, you're only a few hours into the game so the system is just getting started on calibrating your Matchmaking rating (your MMR is always being calculated after every match, but it currently has much less data on you to work with). Eventually it'll find where you belong and will probably level off at a 50% win ratio. And just being a few hours into the game is probably also why the queue times are longer. The system tries to match you up with players of similar rating. I'm assuming that there aren't all that many brand-new players at any given time, so then, over the duration of the queue, it begins to slowly loosen up the matchmaking restrictions until if finds a spot for you. I noticed this too when I started an alt from scratch. My first several levels, as well as my comp placement matches, had pretty long queues. But once your rating goes up a bit, it'll be much quicker.

Regarding the lopsidedness, you're surely playing either QP or Arcade. These modes are very casual with players often selecting "fun" picks rather than what's most effective or necessary (which is also why you're not seeing a lot of healers). So a lot of the time, one team will have all three snipers selected but not land a single shot and get steamrolled by a team that decided to go full meta. It'll get better (but not perfect) if and when you decide to go into Competitive.

Regarding matchmaking, as you said, you're only a few hours into the game so the system is just getting started on calibrating your Matchmaking rating (your MMR is always being calculated after every match, but it currently has much less data on you to work with). Eventually it'll find where you belong and will probably level off at a 50% win ratio. And just being a few hours into the game is probably also why the queue times are longer. The system tries to match you up with players of similar rating. I'm assuming that there aren't all that many brand-new players at any given time, so then, over the duration of the queue, it begins to slowly loosen up the matchmaking restrictions until if finds a spot for you. I noticed this too when I started an alt from scratch. My first several levels, as well as my comp placement matches, had pretty long queues. But once your rating goes up a bit, it'll be much quicker.

Regarding the lopsidedness, you're surely playing either QP or Arcade. These modes are very casual with players often selecting "fun" picks rather than what's most effective or necessary (which is also why you're not seeing a lot of healers). So a lot of the time, one team will have all three snipers selected but not land a single shot and get steamrolled by a team that decided to go full meta. It'll get better (but not perfect) if and when you decide to go into Competitive.
Thanks a lot for the explanation bud. It's good to know the matchmaking will improve. I figured once I hit rank 25 and can play Competitive mode, the level of competition will even out. It's also difficult and kinda pointless to play as Lucio when your teammates are all scattered around the map. I end up just switching to another class. I assume the teamwork aspect will improve in Competitive mode as well? Cuz like you said, in Quick Play and Arcade people are just picking characters for fun. One game the opposing team had all D'vas lol. There has been some great games where everyone is working together and playing off each other. And that's when it's the most fun.

Thanks a lot for the explanation bud. It's good to know the matchmaking will improve. I figured once I hit rank 25 and can play Competitive mode, the level of competition will even out. It's also difficult and kinda pointless to play as Lucio when your teammates are all scattered around the map. I end up just switching to another class. I assume the teamwork aspect will improve in Competitive mode as well? Cuz like you said, in Quick Play and Arcade people are just picking characters for fun. One game the opposing team had all D'vas lol. There has been some great games where everyone is working together and playing off each other. And that's when it's the most fun.
The matchmaking will become more even/accurate, but keep in mind that it's not always going to be the way one would like. For example, if I'm an awful player with no awareness of positioning and I'm always trying to 1v6 the enemy team only to end up feeding their ults (and all while blaming my team without taking a look at what I could possibly be doing wrong), yes the matchmaking will eventually put me where I belong, but that'll be in bronze among other oblivious players. There'll be no teamwork and no communication other than flaming. Will the matchmaking be better? Oh yeah, it'll be dead-on actually. I just won't like it. And I'll sit there in bronze forever unless I improve enough to carry my way out of that abyss.

On the other hand, if I watch my positioning, mind my cooldowns, avoid fights I can't win, don't run alone into team fights, don't swing with Rein when I should be shielding, don't try to DPS with Ana when I should be healing, etc, my placement will be much better, like Plat or possibly low Diamond. Although the teamwork, coordination, communication and overall game-sense is vastly better than what you'll find at lower ratings, it's still far from perfect, but it's far from the hopelessness of Bronze. The matchmaking will be as accurate as it is at Bronze, but because you're in Plat, it'll be a much nicer place to be.

TL;DR
You'll end up where you belong, among players of similar rating and that's as fair as matchmaking can get.

The matchmaking will become more even/accurate, but keep in mind that it's not always going to be the way one would like. For example, if I'm an awful player with no awareness of positioning and I'm always trying to 1v6 the enemy team only to end up feeding their ults (and all while blaming my team without taking a look at what I could possibly be doing wrong), yes the matchmaking will eventually put me where I belong, but that'll be in bronze among other oblivious players. There'll be no teamwork and no communication other than flaming. Will the matchmaking be better? Oh yeah, it'll be dead-on actually. I just won't like it. And I'll sit there in bronze forever unless I improve enough to carry my way out of that abyss.

On the other hand, if I watch my positioning, mind my cooldowns, avoid fights I can't win, don't run alone into team fights, don't swing with Rein when I should be shielding, don't try to DPS with Ana when I should be healing, etc, my placement will be much better, like Plat or possibly low Diamond. Although the teamwork, coordination, communication and overall game-sense is vastly better than what you'll find at lower ratings, it's still far from perfect, but it's far from the hopelessness of Bronze. The matchmaking will be as accurate as it is at Bronze, but because you're in Plat, it'll be a much nicer place to be.

TL;DR
You'll end up where you belong, among players of similar rating and that's as fair as matchmaking can get.
That's very interesting. I didn't know there were different levels such as bronze, silver, gold. How exactly does the game determine your appropriate level? Since I'm a noob, I'm sure I make a ton of mistakes that would piss off veteran players but at least I try to play the correct way. I still have so much to learn though since the game is so in-depth. Do you have any websites you can recommend to point me on the right path?

Also, are you on Xbox One? Oh, and can you explain the whole voting thing at the end of the game lol.

Last edited:

I've noticed the same thing, It feels like we either dominate or get dominated. The competitive games are few and far between.

Also, I enjoy playing as Mercy but usually people don't help me out. I get targeted and people will bolt and leave me pretty much defenseless.

That's very interesting. I didn't know there were different levels such as bronze, silver, gold. How exactly does the game determine your appropriate level? Since I'm a noob, I'm sure I make a ton of mistakes that would piss off veteran players but at least I try to play the correct way. I still have so much to learn though since the game is so in-depth. Do you have any websites you can recommend to point me on the right path?

Also, are you on Xbox One?

The #1 factor in determining your rank is simply whether you win or lose. You could have the game of your life with 40 kills, 37 objective kills, 10,000 healing, 5 minutes objective time and 100% kill participation. But if you lose the match, you're gonna lose rank. Sounds like a shit deal, but there will also be matches where you couldn't land a shot to save your life, yet still won because every other factor somehow fell in your team's favor. This may sound like a volatile system, but because the only constant factor in your matches is you, it eventually all levels out over the course of several dozen/scores of matches. There will be win streaks where you seem unstoppable and losing streaks where you want to quit the game, but, big picture, it all levels out in the long run.

Most of my improvement came from watching YouTubers. I was absolute garbage at the game when I started, so I began looking up character guides and went from there. Here's a screencap of my subscriptions, all OW related.

full

That's a big list to try to jump right into, so if you only have time for a few, I'd say the most useful ones are OneAmongstMany (particularly his VOD reviews), Skyline, MindFuzz and iostux. Aside from that, I also recommend the Overwatch University subreddit.

And yes, I'm on XB1. GT: Dinotective. Feel free to add me.

I've noticed the same thing, It feels like we either dominate or get dominated. The competitive games are few and far between.

Also, I enjoy playing as Mercy but usually people don't help me out. I get targeted and people will bolt and leave me pretty much defenseless.
I haven't tried Mercy yet. How are her healing abilities? I know it's pretty widely-regarded that Lucio is the top healer in the game. Although I assume certain situations will be better suited for another character. I believe Lucio is the only healer who can actively heal multiple people around him?

I haven't tried Mercy yet. How are her healing abilities? I know it's pretty widely-regarded that Lucio is the top healer in the game. Although I assume certain situations will be better suited for another character. I believe Lucio is the only healer who can actively heal multiple people around him?

Yeah I think think that last part about Lucio is right, the only healer I'm totally familiar with is Mercy tho. Soldier can heal multiple people at once if you're standing within a certain area.

I like using Mercy, she can be a very effective healer. She can also add a damage boost.

The #1 factor in determining your rank is simply whether you win or lose. You could have the game of your life with 40 kills, 37 objective kills, 10,000 healing, 5 minutes objective time and 100% kill participation. But if you lose the match, you're gonna lose rank. Sounds like a shit deal, but there will also be matches where you couldn't land a shot to save your life, yet still won because every other factor somehow fell in your team's favor. This may sound like a volatile system, but because the only constant factor in your matches is you, it eventually all levels out over the course of several dozen/scores of matches. There will be win streaks where you seem unstoppable and losing streaks where you want to quit the game, but, big picture, it all levels out in the long run.

Most of my improvement came from watching YouTubers. I was absolute garbage at the game when I started, so I began looking up character guides and went from there. Here's a screencap of my subscriptions, all OW related.

full

That's a big list to try to jump right into, so if you only have time for a few, I'd say the most useful ones are OneAmongstMany (particularly his VOD reviews), Skyline, MindFuzz and iostux. Aside from that, I also recommend the Overwatch University subreddit.

I'm not sure about a matchmaking system that prioritizes win/loss over individual performances. That seems a bit flawed to me. I'm sure in most the games I've lost that I'm likely one of the weakest links on the team. I don't think it's fair to penalize the good players because of how weaker players like myself perform. But if you tell me it levels out in the end, then I believe you. I don't see how that would work, but what do I know lol.

Thanks for the list. I will definitely check them out on Youtube. I was looking at a website called icy-veins and it seemed to be pretty helpful. But I always prefer watching over reading anyways lol.

Mercy is my least favorite healer in the game for the fact that if she's healing, that's all she can do. She lacks the versatility of Lucio, the damage of Zen and the insane healing of Ana.

Yes, Lucio can heal multiple people, but it's such a platry crumb of healing. He's not played for his healing; he's played for his speed boost. His healing only serves to supplement whoever the main healer is. And as far as who the #1 healer is, the consensus is that it's Ana. She has the highest healing per second (I believe its 75HP vs Mercy's 60), can up her healing per second further still and can prevent the enemy from healing. And then there's her sleep dart, which can shut down an ult or deny a flanker who's gunning for you. Of all the healers, she has the highest "carry" potential. She requires more mechanical skill than any of the other healers, but if you've got decent aim, she's the way to go.

full

Oh and I will add your gamertag for sure. If you don't mind playing with a noob then hopefully you can teach me a thing or two. Also, what is the voting thing about at the end of every games?

I'm not sure about a matchmaking system that prioritizes win/loss over individual performances. That seems a bit flawed to me. I'm sure in most the games I've lost that I'm likely one of the weakest links on the team. I don't think it's fair to penalize the good players because of how weaker players like myself perform. But if you tell me it levels out in the end, then I believe you. I don't see how that would work, but what do I know lol.

Thanks for the list. I will definitely check them out on Youtube. I was looking at a website called icy-veins and it seemed to be pretty helpful. But I always prefer watching over reading anyways lol.
The idea is that ranking on individual performance would encourage players to do what's best for themselves as opposed to what's best for the team. If I could rank up based mainly on personal performance, I'd pick Junkrat and just focus on spamming shields and barriers to pad my damage stats and never contest Control points because I might risk lowering my K/D ratio. By rewarding only wins, it forces your focus on just that. There'll be matches where you do have people on your team who are only focused on themselves and you'll lose many of those matches. But if you keep doing what you're supposed to do, you will (perhaps slowly but surely) rise in rank while they stagnate or drop and they'll be out of your life soon enough.

Oh and I will add your gamertag for sure. If you don't mind playing with a noob then hopefully you can teach me a thing or two. Also, what is the voting thing about at the end of every games?
Yeah, we can do some QP or Arcade matches for sure. During the week, I only play late night around 10pm pacific. I'm around more on the weekends though.

Voting on cards is just a way of giving kudos to people who you think did well. It has no impact on anything other than perhaps making someone feel appreciated.

Mercy is my least favorite healer in the game for the fact that if she's healing, that's all she can do. She lacks the versatility of Lucio, the damage of Zen and the insane healing of Ana.

Yes, Lucio can heal multiple people, but it's such a platry crumb of healing. He's not played for his healing; he's played for his speed boost. His healing only serves to supplement whoever the main healer is. And as far as who the #1 healer is, the consensus is that it's Ana. She has the highest healing per second (I believe its 75HP vs Mercy's 60), can up her healing per second further still and can prevent the enemy from healing. And then there's her sleep dart, which can shut down an ult or deny a flanker who's gunning for you. Of all the healers, she has the highest "carry" potential. She requires more mechanical skill than any of the other healers, but if you've got decent aim, she's the way to go.
Well I definitely want to look into using Ana now that I know what she's capable of. I think I used her once of twice but didn't really know what I was doing. Most websites I've been to talked about Lucio being the most popular healer in the game so I kinda stuck with him. I didn't know Lucio was better served as a secondary healer. Honestly, do you think it even matters to have a healer in QP or Arcade games? Or should I just focus on playing a class I like and want to improve on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back