Overwatch Official Discussion, v2: ELO Hell (hello darkness my old friend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I definitely want to look into using Ana now that I know what she's capable of. I think I used her once of twice but didn't really know what I was doing. Most websites I've been to talked about Lucio being the most popular healer in the game so I kinda stuck with him. I didn't know a Lucio was better served as a secondary healer. Honestly, do you think it even matters to have a healer in QP or Arcade games? Or should I just focus on playing a class I like and want to improve on?

I'd say QP/Aracade are better used to practice whatever character you want to improve with. It might be a little rough without any healers, but that might help with improving awareness and caution as well as forcing you to learn the locations of health packs.

Last edited:
I'd say QP/Aracade are better used to practice whatever character you want to improve with. It might be a little rough without any healers, but that might help with improving awareness and caution as well as forcing you to learn the locations of health packs.
In your opinion, which characters are the most useful from each class? And is it always better to have one from each? I've stuck to mainly the offensive class (soldier, reaper, mccree) and occassionally Lucio. But my goal is eventually be proficient with one character from each class.

In your opinion, which characters are the most useful from each class? And is it always better to have one from each? I've stuck to mainly the offensive class (soldier, reaper, mccree) and occassionally Lucio. But my goal is eventually be proficient with one character from each class.
Well, the only characters that I consider to be "must haves" are Reinhardt and Ana, so I guess those two for their respective classes. If one team has a 2000 HP barrier and the other one doesn't, that's a pretty big advantage. Ana's healing and the rest of her kit are just too useful to pass up, but she should be supplemented by Lucio or Zen depending on the situation (I prefer Lucio on Control and on attack, but Zen on defense).

Not a big fan of the Defense characters except for Mei. The way she can split a team up or block damage can have a huge impact. She also does really well in a lot of 1v1 situations.

As far as Offense goes, you really can't go wrong with S76. A 20 damage per bullet hitscan (doubled for headshots) with good range and self healing always makes me happy to see him on the team.

Also gotta give Roadhog a slot. His ability to get a quick kill and turn a team fight into a 6v5 makes him a top dog for sure.

I can go on and on about a bunch of others, because really, most of the characters are viable. The roster is pretty small at the top of the Pro scene, but that doesn't have all that much bearing on players at our level. Almost all the characters can be viable in the right hands. Pharah can wreak havoc on a team with no hitscans, Tracer can decimate the backline if no one's paying attention and protecting the supports, Zarya can carry if the enemy team just can't seem to keep themselves from firing into her bubbles. Some characters are just more situational than others but can prove to be more useful than your usual meta picks when those opportunities present themselves.

Has D Va been nerfed? I get shot out of my Mech at an insanely fast rate sometimes.

Also, I feel like Genji is way too tough to contain if he has a capable player, he's such a nuisance sometimes. Same with Hanzo's 1 shot and Roadhog's hook, If he hooks a 200 hp or below character then it's over for them.

Yea I don't get it.

You are playing a casually designed game with a competitive mindset. Made by a developer who has no track record of creating a successful multiplayer game for competitive play. With a player base pushing for it to be equal in stature to the big three eSport titles from release date.

Its a conglomerate of ill advised emotions when fun should be your driving factor.

Has D Va been nerfed? I get shot out of my Mech at an insanely fast rate sometimes.

Also, I feel like Genji is way too tough to contain if he has a capable player, he's such a nuisance sometimes. Same with Hanzo's 1 shot and Roadhog's hook, If he hooks a 200 hp or below character then it's over for them.

Genji is a nobody if you have a Winston. We had an annoying Genji destroying are team. I went Winston and we slaughtered the team. It helped that they had a Mercy as well which also get's destroyed by him.

You are playing a casually designed game with a competitive mindset. Made by a developer who has no track record of creating a successful multiplayer game for competitive play. With a player base pushing for it to be equal in stature to the big three eSport titles from release date.

Its a conglomerate of ill advised emotions when fun should be your driving factor.

Pretty sure Blizzard has created successful multiplayer competitive games. SC and that MOBA game. Anyways who doesn't play online multiplayer games with a competitive mindset? That's part of the fun being competitive with other people online.

Kaplan came out yesterday an basically said they base changes on popularity, not balance.

That's fine but just like I was telling someone in another thread. Point me to an online multiplayer game and I will point you to people whining about it being unbalanced. People complaining about balancing issues is as old as multiplayer games themselves.

Either way like I said being competitive is part of the fun. I've honestly never cared to much about balancing my main complaint with this game is getting matched up with people 70+ levels lower than me.

She's been nerfed in the PTR, and we can probably expect these changes to go live soon. Rather than 200 Health and 400 armor, she'll be at 400 health and 200 armor, so she's gonna end up getting melted out of her mech prerry damn quick if you're not careful.

As far as Genji goes, as method115 said, Winston handles him pretty well. Aside from that, Mei and Symmetra have rather favorable match-ups against him as well; or at least good enough to keep him at bay.

She's been nerfed in the PTR, and we can probably expect these changes to go live soon. Rather than 200 Health and 400 armor, she'll be at 400 health and 200 armor, so she's gonna end up getting melted out of her mech prerry damn quick if you're not careful.

As far as Genji goes, as method115 said, Winston handles him pretty well. Aside from that, Mei and Symmetra have rather favorable match-ups against him as well; or at least good enough to keep him at bay.

Yep I've noticed Mei is awesome as well. For Genji. It's just with Winston it's easy mode against him. Then again Winston is a much harder character to play imo.

Is normal that a hero that is squishy as Genji would have such an upside. Both his skill floors and ceiling are high, and pretty much for every capable Genji, there's thousands of clueless Genji's who get instagib'd and ruin games for their teams. It is what it is.

Yep I've noticed Mei is awesome as well. For Genji. It's just with Winston it's easy mode against him. Then again Winston is a much harder character to play imo.

Winston is one of the game's easiest heroes, as far as I'm concerned. If you're having difficulties playing him, try playing Mystery duels. an 1v1 mirror match against a good player of any given character gives you a good insight on how to play him.

I loathe Symmetra and her playstyle promoting camping and :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:ry.

Is normal that a hero that is squishy as Genji would have such an upside. Both his skill floors and ceiling are high, and pretty much for every capable Genji, there's thousands of clueless Genji's who get instagib'd and ruin games for their teams. It is what it is.

There are just a handful of characters that i feel could be nerfed a little. Hanzo's 1 shot is a bit ridiculous to me, Zarya and her whole bubble thing, Genji's deflect at least needs a longer cool down time.

So I solo queue comp and I was one win away from 2500 rating and went on a spectacular losing streak. I play heals 100% of the time and the DPS I get matched with is just atrocious. I get Winstons and Dvas who let Widows reak havoc, assholes who pick Sombra on defense. I've dropped down into the 1700's. It's awful.

So I solo queue comp and I was one win away from 2500 rating and went on a spectacular losing streak. I play heals 100% of the time and the DPS I get matched with is just atrocious. I get Winstons and Dvas who let Widows reak havoc, assholes who pick Sombra on defense. I've dropped down into the 1700's. It's awful.

I know how you feel it's crazy.

I loathe Symmetra and her playstyle promoting camping and :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:ry.
latest

In Season 2 I was in gold hell for a long ass time. I placed at like 2450 so I just needed like 2 wins. I dropped and fluctuated from 2100-2400 for about 1-1.5 months until finally breaking into plat. The only thing I can suggest is to get good with Reinhardt and also if possible play in a 2 man queue and do Rein+Ana. If you have a healer focusing on you while you are Rein you can essentially be another DPS but obviously with shielding/tanking duties.

'You're right where you're supposed to be' or whatever it is that some people say in defense of this rating slump shit.

Overwatch is like a carrot on a stick.

Some on the OW forums speculate it's Blizzard's way to keep people playing. It can be brutal and unforgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back