Overeem doesn't see Alex Pereira as a champion

Do you see Pereira as a real champ or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you realize the irony of Alex literally winning every single one of those fights?

They could not out grapple him to victory, by points, damage or submission. That is the concept of good counter grappling.
He won in spite of his grappling flaws. These are strikers that are logging in control time on him. Not legitimate grapplers.

Do you realize the irony of Alex literally winning every single one of those fights?

They could not out grapple him to victory, by points, damage or submission. That is the concept of good counter grappling.
Espeically of course as Jan beat Izzy partly via grappling which nobody at MW could.

How Jan couldn’t take him down at will and expose his ground game is beyond me.

I think Bo Nikal at MW absolutely WREAKS Alex at LHW. Overeem is halfway right.

He won in spite of his grappling flaws. These are strikers that are logging in control time on him. Not legitimate grapplers.
Jiri subbed Glover and Jan outwrestled Izzy, it's not like they are pure strikers with zero grappling skills.

Jiri subbed Glover and Jan outwrestled Izzy, it's not like they are pure strikers with zero grappling skills.
Jan landing less takedowns on Izzy than Whittaker and Vettori did doesn’t make Jan a stellar grappler or one of merit. Jiri submitting a gassed 40 year old doesn’t make him a fantastic wrestler either. Let me repeat, everyone who has attempted a takedown on Alex has gotten him down. If everyone who tries gets you down, your defensive grappling can’t be considered stellar.

You homos and weirdos are now in love with Pereira and his "strong silent" persona, but let's face it, Overeem knows more about fighting than you. He's not a fanwhore like you but a real fighter. He understands what really happens in the cage. I think he's absolutely right about Pereira.

Yeah, and don't forget Reem is a perfect, completely egoless being, 100% absolute rationality. His cognitive processes' and oration are plutonic ideals of their form. He speaks unquestionable truth and everything he says must be followed to the T.

Excellent work.

Last edited:
He beat the vacant champion and then beat the other vacant champion. He also beat the guy who had a draw for the vacant title, and the next fight he will likely fight the other person who drew for the vacant title.

So he's as legitimate as a champion as anyone.

Reactions: lsa
That's a tough one sir.
Alex is double champ in Glory, but Reem won a K1 tournament.
40-7 vs. 10-4

K-1 Tournaments are spectacles but considering that Bob Sap also won a K1 tournament puts things in perspective. They aren't a very good assessment of overall ability, there's a lot of luck of the draw.

Espeically of course as Jan beat Izzy partly via grappling which nobody at MW could.

IIRC Jan started Judo at 9 and BJJ at 15, and has competed in BJJ.
I seen interviews where he sees him self as a grappler first.
But some how... he does not count.

Izzy was only 200lbs against Jan, didn't even make 205 limit when he fought him. Pereira was around 230lbs fight night against Jan, who was 40 years old and completely gassed in this fight. If Jan had the energy to even throw a few more shots from the top against pereira, he obviously wins the decision.

Pereira is a champ since he won the belt. He didn't really do that much to earn his shots but he has defended his LHW title which makes up for that. Overeem isn't wrong in that Pereira is a bit lucky that there aren't many great grapplers around in his division so he doesn't get tested as well in that department (his chances of becoming champ with Jones and DC in the division would be quite slim), but it's not up to him to create his opposition. As long as he doesn't duck anyone he's fine.

On the funnier side though we, as expected, saw people start comparing Overeem's quality as a fighter with Pereira right away as a means to say that his opinion isn't valid. Some real irony in that these people don't seem to understand what that reasoning does to their own opinions.

Reactions: lsa
Izzy was only 200lbs against Jan, didn't even make 205 limit when he fought Jan. Pereira was around 230lbs fight night against Jan, who was 40 years old and completely gassed. If Jan had the energy to even throw a few more shots from the top, he obviously wins the decision.
A lot of the reason Jan was gassed though was that there wasnt an easy takedown for him in the 1st, he pushed hard for the takedown for over a min and then also had to work very hard to keep Alexs back. Basically there was not an massive grappling weakness for Jan to target and the result was he gassed himself trying to fight that way, exactly why a lot of fighters give up on their wrestling.

If that match is 5 rounds long I strongly suspect Jan loses much more definitively, probably gets finished in the champ rounds.

A lot of the reason Jan was gassed though was that there wasnt an easy takedown for him in the 1st, he pushed hard for the takedown for over a min and then also hard to work very hard to keep Alexs back.

If that match is 5 rounds long I strongly suspect Jan loses much more definitively.
Yes, that's due to the fact that Jan isn't a legit wrestler and gets tired because all that wrestling is "not normal for him" as DC said. Fighting at high altitude made that even harder for Jan.

He probably paces himself better in a 5 round fight, and with normal altitude likely looks like Jan vs Adesanya, where Jan took Izzy down in rounds 3,4,5.

Last edited:
Yes, that's due to the fact that Jan isn't a legit wrestler and gets tired because all that wrestling is "not normal for him" as DC said. Fighting at high altitude made that even harder for Jan.

He probably paces himself better in a 5 round fight, and with normal altitude likely looks like Jan vs Adesanya, where Jan took Izzy down in rounds 3,4,5.
I think what people tend to overestimate though is "he can take him down" with "he can win the fight via grappling".

We get these threads questioning why a certain fighter "fought dumb" giving up on his wrestling when he was having sucess but they don't realise that its due to it being a bad trade off.

Jan took the first round against Alexs the same way Cain did vs Werdum, yeah he won it but via pushing so hard he gassed himself.

Last edited:
Sapp never won the WGP, he beat Hoost in the opening round in 2002 but then dropped out due to injury.

I actually think Reems best K-1 was vs Spong in the opening round of the WGP, yeah he was small but he was still a high level fighter and Allistair did get rocked badly in that fight but survived and came back to finish.

40-7 vs. 10-4

K-1 Tournaments are spectacles but considering that Bob Sap also won a K1 tournament puts things in perspective. They aren't a very good assessment of overall ability, there's a lot of luck of the draw.

Bob Sapp beat Ernesto Hoost, I'd say he was far better then than he was when he was rolling over for cash.

Poatan is enjoying the success that the reem never had

Back