Outdoor pets in winter

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We have allergies in the house now, and the animals are spending their first full winter outside. A long hair tabby cat and a labernese (choco lab + bernese). We're getting our first nights down around zero this week, and I was wondering if you guys had suggestions or experience with this.

The dog looks like a choco lab, but with the bernese in him, his coat is much thicker than most labs, so I think he'll be okay. I've got a pre-fab doghouse nothing special, and I filled it up with straw and covered the door opening so he can still go in and out.

The cat is in a plastic tub on top of the dog house. I wrapped up a bunch of old insulation and lined the walls and floor of it, and added some straw for him too. I think I have a decent setup, but I don't know anything about outdoor pets in the cold- they have always been house pets for me.

Any tips or something I'm not considering? I use an electric water bowl I got from a farm supply company and it's the best 20 bucks I've ever spent.

My fightCAT and chocolate LAB are fine outiside. They aint pussies..
Currently 55 f in Htown..

man up an pop a claratin, no need to punish your pets by explosing them to the elements. find a person who can take care of them properely, you arent.

I would literally murder my cat for a month of 55f right now.
The thing is my CAT POMPEY is in a fight club. But he always bring young kitties home for me to feed. Dude is tough but a good CAT not a CAN...

People who keep dogs outside during the winter is a pet peeve of mine. Some long haired dogs I can kinda understand but still. My dog doesn't even have short hair & she absolutely hates the cold

People who keep dogs outside during the winter is a pet peeve of mine. Some long haired dogs I can kinda understand but still. My dog doesn't even have short hair & she absolutely hates the cold
I agree, it's just not an option right now. I'm a softy for my dog and it breaks my heart.

TS you've set yourself up for a lashing, I doubt the thread will disappoint.

There are prescription allergy remedies that are not only effective but inexpensive. There are also household changes that can help.

Bring the dog and cat inside.

TS you've set yourself up for a lashing, I doubt the thread will disappoint.

There are prescription allergy remedies that are not only effective but inexpensive. There are also household changes that can help.

Bring the dog and cat inside.
Not going to elaborate but it's not an option. If it were an option I wouldn't be asking for advice. It not being an option, I hope people who have kept outside dogs have some advice.

Idk where you live or how cold it generally is, but they are animals, they are built for being outdoors, they'll be fine. I mean doghouses exist for a reason.

I think what dogs hate more than being outside in the cold is being confined outside and lonely. Being cold would suck on top of that.

But i think as long as you feed them well and make sure they have unfrrozen water they will survive. It always seems to me though that being outside without a family is what they hate most.

Just kill your pets now rather than letting them freeze to death overnight.

Dealing with a frozen corpse fucking sucks.

Idk where you live or how cold it generally is, but they are animals, they are built for being outdoors, they'll be fine. I mean doghouses exist for a reason.
You cant guard the farm at night from inside the (human) house

Why did you get pets if you have allergies?

My parents have a Siberian Husky that sleeps outside by choice. She loves the cold. They let her stay inside if she wants in. I wouldn't let my dogs sleep outside. As I type this now, my little dog is sleeping in the bed next to me.

Dude, you need to find a heating source for them -- either help compound their body heat or a better option is to get some sort of forced air or radiant. Zero C or F?? Because if it's F -- that is extremely frigid.

Get some rocks, heat them in the oven wrap in blankets and put in under his dog bed

Invest in some out door pet clothing

Oh double their food - they burn way more calories when they are cold.

Why did you get pets if you have allergies?

My parents have a Siberian Husky that sleeps outside by choice. She loves the cold. They let her stay inside if she wants in. I wouldn't let my dogs sleep outside. As I type this now, my little dog is sleeping in the bed next to me.
Not my allergies, somebody with a lot of other issues, it's legit. My doggie loves the cold and being outside too, and he usually had to be made to come inside at night. It sucks and my boy should be sleeping at the foot of my bed like he wants to. I wasn't expecting to spend the thread justifying reality for people, but asking how best to cope with it. The good thing he has going is that his daddy and granddaddy both lived outside in the hay by the horses, protecting a farm in Utah (which gets pretty damn cold), and they had the same coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back