Crime Our national tradition continues: Multiple fatalities in TX HS Shooting

A free man is not born with the right to drive an automobile.

A free man is born with their 2nd Amendment right and it cannot be taken by government or legislated away.

Apples and oranges.

I think the supreme court has already decided that certain regulatory acts don't contravene the 2A, and of course as mentioned it's an amendment... they could amend it again. That would be "legislating it away".

Since this was done with a shotgun and revolver does that mean 10 dead and 10 more injured is acceptable, or does it mean we'll eventually need to prohibit those guns once the semi-autos are gone?

Doesn't matter.

BAN TEH AR15 assault rifles! Once they banned we are safe!

This shooting definitely changes the narrative.

I just want to say it's such a great tragedy about this school shooting and OMG ROYAL WEDDING *changes the channel*

Media is really on top of the important shit today, I'll tell ya.

Trump should tweet:

"Not interested in The Royal Wedding. Turned down invitation weeks ago. More concerned with important issues at home, like trying to keep kids safe in school, and working on solution to gun violence. Fake News media cares more about how much $$$ Marla Maples' dress cost, than protecting our children.

SAD!"

No, I mean from 1979 they've dropped from 3.34 fatalities per MM driven to 1.18 (even from 2000, they've dropped from over 1.5). The last regulation change was the introduction of mandatory back up cameras beginning this month, before that it was the ESC regulations in 2012. Of course these laws have significant lag to see the real effect as they are only introduced on new vehicles

Guns are very different, it's a partisan issue. That's not the case in other countries (and back when it wasn't the case in the US, more laws were passed).

The thing that makes guns different in our country is the fact that they are a constitutional right and last line of defense. That's why we are who we are as a country. And we're not giving them up no matter how many kids get shot up.

Yeah, you'd have to stop owning firearms for common self defence and tackle the existing proliferation. Short of that, nothing is likely to make a significant impact.

Can you clarify your position? You seem to be in favor of more regulations, but here you seem to agree that such restrictions won't help.

I haven't followed the story. What new law would have prevented this shooting?

What new law would have prevented this shooting?

Wrong and loaded question. There is no certainty in prevention of a specific instance but there is overwhelming evidence for reduction across the board.

Trying to shame Americans into "minor" (LOL) things like an AWB and strict gun control? Some of you are making Eric Holder proud!

Wrong and loaded question. There is no certainty in prevention of a specific instance but there is overwhelming evidence for reduction across the board.

Why try to push something that requires brainwashing to gain support?

Time for solutions that everyone can agree on that doesn't require the manipulation of people's minds.

well parents have to do a better job to have total gun restriction for their crazy ass kids

Trump should tweet:

"Not interested in The Royal Wedding. Turned down invitation weeks ago. More concerned with important issues at home, like trying to keep kids safe in school, and working on solution to gun violence. Fake News media cares more about how much $$$ Marla Maples' dress cost, than protecting our children.

SAD!"

I was mocking my coworkers but you have it spot on.

Fair criticism. At the same time, this goes both ways; If you can't propose a regulation, simply saying we need more of it isn't convincing.

Can you clarify your position? You seem to be in favor of more regulations, but here you seem to agree that such restrictions won't help.

I haven't followed the story. What new law would have prevented this shooting?

I think legislation could solve the problem (not eliminate it, but reduce it drastically), but realistically I think the US is screwed. The choice was made with the interpretation of the second amendment as enshrining the right to own a firearm for common self defence. Reversing that is the change that would be needed to reduce proliferation and gun violence, but I don't think it's politically achievable in the US. The decision was made for you in the past, and now you're effectively stuck with it because of partisan politics and the sheer scale of what would be involved (politically, legislatively, culturally and practically).

This is one of those issues where I can certainly see conservatives’ point of view. It’s in the constitution for one, that you may own guns (paraphrasing). To them, this is just the price we pay for having that kind of freedom. And we’ve had guns in this country for a long time but haven’t had these issues until recently. So it seems as if guns alone are not to blame.

However, the problem exists. And access to guns is definitely part of that problem. When you control for income, GDP, and other factors, the rate of gun ownership in a country correlates directly with the number of gun deaths in that country. So it isn’t as if guns and access to guns isn’t part of the problem.

There may have been no law that could have stopped this shooting from happening. But some amount of gun regulation would likely have stopped the one in Florida as well as many others. And here’s the thing. Nobody is saying we should ban guns across the board. Nobody is saying that. But if the conservatives don’t come to the table soon and capitulate a bit on this issue, more of these very public school shootings will happen. And guess what will happen after that? People will start talking about banning all guns like they did in Australia. And the people calling for that type of legislation will increase in number as the generation of kids who grew up being shot at in schools comes of voting age. And then conservatives are going to have a real problem.

So conservatives need to get realistic about common sense regulation that would at least help decrease the number of people who had access to guns. If they don’t they will reap what they sow.

This is one of those issues where I can certainly see conservatives’ point of view. It’s in the constitution for one, that you may own guns (paraphrasing). To them, this is just the price we pay for having that kind of freedom. And we’ve had guns in this country for a long time but haven’t had these issues until recently. So it seems as if guns alone are not to blame.

However, the problem exists. And access to guns is definitely part of that problem. When you control for income, GDP, and other factors, the rate of gun ownership in a country correlates directly with the number of gun deaths in that country. So it isn’t as if guns and access to guns isn’t part of the problem.

There may have been no law that could have stopped this shooting from happening. But some amount of gun regulation would likely have stopped the one in Florida as well as many others. And here’s the thing. Nobody is saying we should ban guns across the board. Nobody is saying that. But if the conservatives don’t come to the table soon and capitulate a bit on this issue, more of these very public school shootings will happen. And guess what will happen after that? People will start talking about banning all guns like they did in Australia. And the people calling for that type of legislation will increase in number as the generation of kids who grew up being shot at in schools comes of voting age. And then conservatives are going to have a real problem.

So conservatives need to get realistic about common sense regulation that would at least help decrease the number of people who had access to guns. If they don’t they will reap what they sow.

You guys really need to stop focusing on the guns and start focusing on why these types of shootings are happening in present day America.

Back