Social One of Canada's most prestigious universities posts research positions: No straight white men allowed!

Here's what I really think -

I don't give a fuck how a university, in a country that I don't even live in, fills its research positions. In no way, shape or form does it affect my life. In no way shape or form does it affect anyone's life on earth, aside from the 2-3 people that do or don't get the positions. In no way does this affect your life. You're a triggered little culture warrior looking for reasons to be outraged.

View attachment 1030769
"Racism is ok as long as it doesn't affect me"

I don't give a fuck how a university, in a country that I don't even live in, fills its research positions. In no way, shape or form does it affect my life. In no way shape or form does it affect anyone's life on earth, aside from the 2-3 people that do or don't get the positions. In no way does this affect your life. You're a triggered little culture warrior looking for reasons to be outraged.

View attachment 1030769

I'm on this forum for entertainment. I'm not upset at all. I don't live in Canada. I just think it leads down a dangerous path when discrimination based on race becomes accepted. I'm a firm believer that the most qualified candidate, regardless of any protected class, should get the position.

University of Waterloo comp sci program is the most prestigious one in Canada and only accepts students with top marks in STEM courses, which means it's mostly Asians & Indians with whites and all other races being a small minority. You need about a 90-95% average in all your high school math & science courses to even bother applying, and we all know which ethnic groups are the ones with the culture & work ethic needed to consistently get those marks.
Maybe we should get rid of these government-sponsored programs that give non-Canadian Asian citizens who make up a racial majority in the program more privileges than a straight white male Canadian citizen who is underrepresented in that program solely on the fact that one person has a certain skin colour?

Imagine being a parent who pays taxes in Canada and your tax money is going to grants to pay for non-Canadian citizens to get an advantage over your own child solely because of your race. It's so ridiculously racist. This is actual systemic racism, there are laws and charters in place that disadvantage a race because of their skin tone or birth region.

I'm on this forum for entertainment. I'm not upset at all. I don't live in Canada. I just think it leads down a dangerous path when discrimination based on race becomes accepted. I'm a firm believer that the most qualified candidate, regardless of any protected class, should get the position.

Yeah they're worried about optics. PR.

My workplace does the same sometimes. When assessing the projects we're gonna fund they have this "diversity panel". To ensure there's no "racial bias". It works well. The good projects get funded the shit ones don't and plenty of "protected class" applications are rejected for being poor propositions. it's armour. If they complain we can say "your application was assessed by two people of colour"

Turns out they actually WANT racial bias as applicants. They assume the assessors are black so will automatically support their application. Madness.

View attachment 1030769
you think thats what a conservative looks like?

hehehehehehehehehehehe

aaac3da25bd2fc62d73df11ace2e48cf.jpg

Basically you mean “university of Waterloo implements equitable hiring strategy for a couple of positions”

It’s their choice. However I personally feel it’s inequitable and unfair to many and shouldn’t have been considered.

But then again that whole department might just be Pale Male and Stale

University of Waterloo comp sci program is the most prestigious one in Canada and only accepts students with top marks in STEM courses, which means it's mostly Asians & Indians with whites and all other races being a small minority. You need about a 90-95% average in all your high school math & science courses to even bother applying, and we all know which ethnic groups are the ones with the culture & work ethic needed to consistently get those marks.

I had assumed the landscape in Canada was similar to Oz, but much colder.
International students (primarily East Asian) essentially subsidise the educations of Australian citizens and constitute about 27% of the total University student body. They do also tend to be over represented in any engineering, science or medical degree. Even so, I did part time study in Computer Science (focused on software engineering and networking) from 2016 through to 2022, and I'd say the course was a little under 20% female and about 33/66 split on international versus domestic students. Didn't pay as much attention to race, but there was still no shortage of nerdy white guys (maybe a little under half the students?) and they were the majority of the faculty.

This is just a way to weed out applicants who are too dumb to say they identify as a trannny on their job application

Despite the fact that straight white males are actually an overwhelming minority (~10% in the computer science program as per the survey https://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/classprofile/2022/demographics/ show populations of 18% white, 81% heterosexual and 68% male), the school feels the need to fill in research positions with explicitly less straight white males.

And while I can find no resources on the percentage of researchers that are straight white males, I think the following link showing the most cited researchers in computer science from Waterloo show there is clearly no white racial bias, especially given that Canada is 70% white:

Depending on which lists you follow, Waterloo is either Canada's best or second best university for computer science and engineering. There are few research positions and they are highly sought after due to Waterloo's educational status. So the fact that ~10% of the population of the program is explicitly excluded from the few research positions that are available is just blatant racism.
Dear God...if this is reality then computer science is dying...
Hiring in such positions should be done with experience and achievements etc evaluations plus other methods.
With such requirements Turing had been not suitable.. ...

Maybe we should get rid of these government-sponsored programs that give non-Canadian Asian citizens who make up a racial majority in the program more privileges than a straight white male Canadian citizen who is underrepresented in that program solely on the fact that one person has a certain skin colour?

Imagine being a parent who pays taxes in Canada and your tax money is going to grants to pay for non-Canadian citizens to get an advantage over your own child solely because of your race. It's so ridiculously racist. This is actual systemic racism, there are laws and charters in place that disadvantage a race because of their skin tone or birth region.

What do you mean by non-Canadian AND a citizen? How could they be a citizen and also not Canadian?

What do you mean by non-Canadian AND a citizen? How could they be a citizen and also not Canadian?
Just a weird way of typing it, it should read as someone who is not a Canadian citizen.

The only reason Canada isn’t worse than the UK is because they might have a viable right wing on the horizon.

But god they suck

Back