Social One of Canada's most prestigious universities posts research positions: No straight white men allowed!

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score

Position 1, all areas of artificial intelligence. The call is open only to qualified individuals who self-identify as women, transgender, gender-fluid, non-binary, or Two-spirit.

Position 2, all areas of computer science. The call is open only to qualified individuals who self-identify as a member of a racialized minority.

Despite the fact that straight white males are actually an overwhelming minority (~10% in the computer science program as per the survey https://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/classprofile/2022/demographics/ show populations of 18% white, 81% heterosexual and 68% male), the school feels the need to fill in research positions with explicitly less straight white males.

And while I can find no resources on the percentage of researchers that are straight white males, I think the following link showing the most cited researchers in computer science from Waterloo show there is clearly no white racial bias, especially given that Canada is 70% white:

Depending on which lists you follow, Waterloo is either Canada's best or second best university for computer science and engineering. There are few research positions and they are highly sought after due to Waterloo's educational status. So the fact that ~10% of the population of the program is explicitly excluded from the few research positions that are available is just blatant racism.

who self-identify as women, transgender, gender-fluid, non-binary, or Two-spirit.

Position 2, all areas of computer science. The call is open only to qualified individuals who self-identify as a member of a racialized minority.
The key phrase here is "self-identify"

Looks like Shaun King has found a new job

231226-shaun-king-se-424p-f201c2.jpg

I am sure this isn't allowed in Canada.
This would go agaisnt discrimination laws.

Did that University have Govt permission to not to allow Whites on their research positions? if not then they are violating the law.

as mentioned in the article, the student body is primarily non-white, so making non-white postings for these positions allows students to feel represented and more accurately reflects the population

as mentioned in the article, the student body is primarily non-white, so making non-white postings for these positions allows students to feel represented and more accurately reflects the population
There is no evidence suggesting the research population over-represents straight white males or under-represents any minority group.

I am sure this isn't allowed in Canada.
This would go agaisnt discrimination laws.

Did that University have Govt permission to not to allow Whites on their research positions? if not then they are violating the law.

It is. Article explains why

Its been tried before. Code language actually for we are full of male Asian, Jewish and White APs, FT profs and chairs. They won't fill it because you're excluding 90+ percent of the field and you will bump up an Asian..mostly likely male.

Back