ONE looking to raise more money from Qataris, future tho shakey

Traditional stadium rules.stop breaking up the clinch after a few seconds. Stop with the mismatches and the size discrepancies, and yes, they’re happening on the Friday Fight cards, too.
what other events are there that you watch and how? i feel like the friday fight cards are a little more even in skill, still bad judging, but i'm new to all this muay thai.

I think it's an ego thing for Chatri. It's got a bit of a fanbase now and it's cheap to run so they could absolutely do that and run at a profit.

That would mean Chatri having to give up on his fantasy world of ONE being a multi billion combat sports empire that is bigger than the UFC though, which I don't think he can do.
ONE is the biggest combat global sports event ever of all time and Chatri went to Harvard. with that said, i think it's time to go full stand up. let their MMA people that are decent, the handful test their skills elsewhere. but i think they could definitely keep going, acquiring thais, other gym people, and just putting on the same intensity as those friday cards. i think combat sports would be lacking if ONE exited the ring. it's not a good thing when orgs completely fold like that. i hope they can keep going, but the future seems unsure.

in your opinion, where is non watered down muay thai at? RWS? i would say their Friday cards are more even. their prime cards though, i would agree for the most part. it's their elite against complete mismatches, but at least it is exciting. endearing. shadow realm inducing. what would you change about the rules that ONE uses?
Not the OP, but allowing clinching would be big, you can keep the rest. Also some progression in the divisions, the matchups just seem random with no clear view of what they are leading to

what other events are there that you watch and how? i feel like the friday fight cards are a little more even in skill, still bad judging, but i'm new to all this muay thai.
Those Friday cards have a good amount of guys just going silly for a bonus since they are getting paid pennies compared to the bonus amount.

The Muay Thai in one is mostly not my thing, not to say I’m some big brain combat sports guy but I like bouts were guys are doing more then just winging hooks and headhunting

Not the OP, but allowing clinching would be big, you can keep the rest. Also some progression in the divisions, the matchups just seem random with no clear view of what they are leading to
agreed on the no clear division. it does feel like random guy, with random western nick names. that would be nice to have some sort of ranking process.

Those Friday cards have a good amount of guys just going silly for a bonus since they are getting paid pennies compared to the bonus amount.

The Muay Thai in one is mostly not my thing, not to say I’m some big brain combat sports guy but I like bouts were guys are doing more then just winging hooks and headhunting
i think the muay thai is pretty high level, it doesn't seem like MMA striking at all. the top of the top rises in the Friday cards and eventually makes it to ONE it's all deserved and you can't swang hooks and make it to a ONE amazon card IMO. lot of those Friday dudes have won some crazy fights and have graduated to the bigger cards. can't do that with sloppy technique or luck IMO.

i think the muay thai is pretty high level, it doesn't seem like MMA striking at all. the top of the top rises in the Friday cards and eventually makes it to ONE it's all deserved and you can't swang hooks and make it to a ONE amazon card IMO. lot of those Friday dudes have won some crazy fights and have graduated to the bigger cards. can't do that with sloppy technique or luck IMO.

There are plenty of highly technical fights on the Friday night cards. More FOTY candidates than you can count while still using great techniques, it's def not some bar fighting or just zero defense like Karate Combat.

ONE doesn't have a good infrastructure for rankings and progressions, and I don't really see why they should need one. The Japanese promotions do not have those and to an extent KSW, and they are plenty entertaining. I wouldn't mind if ONE just eliminated their rankings all together, but rankings are booking tools so it's not happening any time soon.

Guys fight each other on a weeks notice all the time in MT, hence why they have a billion fights. There isn't going to be long term story like booking in a sport like Muay Thai, not in 2023 at least. That isn't just a ONE thing.

I like their MMA division. They have a lot of unique fighters from different backgrounds, but if they went all in on being a striking promotion I'd welcome it. Only thing I don't like about ONE is how crippling their contracts are to fighters. For MMA guys it seems like a death warrant.

Last edited:
There are plenty of highly technical fights on the Friday night cards. More FOTY candidates than you can count while still using great techniques, it's def not some bar fighting or just zero defense like Karate Combat.

ONE doesn't have a good infrastructure for rankings and progressions, and I don't really see why they should need one. The Japanese promotions do not have those and to an extent KSW, and they are plenty entertaining. I wouldn't mind if ONE just eliminated their rankings all together, but rankings are booking tools so it's not happening any time soon.

Guys fight each other on a weeks notice all the time in MT, hence why they have a billion fights. There isn't going to be long term story like booking in a sport like Muay Thai, not in 2023 at least. That isn't just a ONE thing.

I like their MMA division. They have a lot of unique fighters from different backgrounds, but if they went all in on being a striking promotion I'd welcome it. Only thing I don't like about ONE is how crippling their contracts are to fighters. For MMA guys it seems like a death warrant.
Most J kick and definitely KSW have a rhyme and reason for their matchmaking, definitely more then the disjointed mess that is ONE in those regards

Most J kick and definitely KSW have a rhyme and reason for their matchmaking, definitely more then the disjointed mess that is ONE in those regards
While I agree that ONE Matchmaking is all over the place, KSW is not exactly the place I would think of when it comes to good matchmaking lol.

While I agree that ONE Matchmaking is all over the place, KSW is not exactly the place I would think of when it comes to good matchmaking lol.
There is progression and generally guys fight increasingly tougher opponents until they reach the title. Sure there are fan favs who cut the line like Materla or Mamed, but it’s usually when they have usually have a win streak going at least. In ONE, they will sign some random off the regionals and give him a title shot

Like recently, why did Mahmoudi get a title shot against Superlek, when he beat a 0-3 in ONE Fighter, why did that 0-3 fighter get a title shot against Rodtang?

There is progression and generally guys fight increasingly tougher opponents until they reach the title. Sure there are fan favs who cut the line like Materla or Mamed, but it’s usually when they have usually have a win streak going at least. In ONE, they will sign some random off the regionals and give him a title shot

Like recently, why did Mahmoudi get a title shot against Superlek, when he beat a 0-3 in ONE Fighter, why did that 0-3 fighter get a title shot against Rodtang?
I agreed with the ONE part but just thought funny that KSW was the example you came up with, to be fair their matchmaking isn't as dumb as Oktagon at times. I always thought ACA had pretty good matchmaking for the most part.

ONE Championship™ (ONE), "the world’s largest martial arts organization, today held the official pre-event press conference for ONE 166: Qatar, presented by Visit Qatar, at the Mondrian Doha Ballroom."

"ONE Championship Chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong and 10 of the superstar martial artists competing on the blockbuster card addressed the media in attendance."

[ONE 166: Qatar Press Conference Photos]

Chatri Sityodtong, Chairman and CEO of ONE Championship, stated: “Qatar truly has become one of my favorite countries in the entire world. The Qatari history, the culture, the tradition, the kindness of the people is truly remarkable. I’ve had the good fortune of traveling all over the Middle East, and all over the world with ONE Championship, and I can’t speak highly enough of Qatar.”

“Qatar represents the very best in the world, just like ONE Championship represents the very best in the world. And here, our World Champions, three World Title fights, unbelievable title fights, that I’m so excited for.”

*Middleweight MMA World Title: Reinier de Ridder 16-1 (c) v Anatoly Malykhin 13-0
*Featherweight MMA World Title: Tang Kai (c) v Thanh Le (ic)
*Strawweight MMA World Title: Jarred Brooks (c) v Joshua Pacio
*Arjan Bhullar v Amir Aliakbari
*Catchweight (147lb) Boxing: Zuhayr Al-Qahtani v Mehdi Zatout
· Flyweight Submission Grappling: Osamah Almarwai v Cleber Sousa
· Catchweight (147.75lb) Muay Thai: Zafer Sayik v Vladimir Kuzmin
· Flyweight Muay Thai: Zakaria El Jamari v Ali Saldoev
· Bantamweight Muay Thai: Shinji Suzuki v Han Zi Hao
· Strawweight MMA: Keito Yamakita v Jeremy Miado

ONE 166: Qatar is the upcoming event produced by ONE Championship that will take place on March 1, 2024, at Lusail Sports Arena in Lusail, Qatar.

I see 4 decent fights not worth giving millions to keep ONE going.

Last edited:
ONE Championship™ (ONE), "the world’s largest martial arts organization, today held the official pre-event press conference for ONE 166: Qatar, presented by Visit Qatar, at the Mondrian Doha Ballroom."

"ONE Championship Chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong and 10 of the superstar martial artists competing on the blockbuster card addressed the media in attendance."

Chatri Sityodtong, Chairman and CEO of ONE Championship, stated: “Qatar truly has become one of my favorite countries in the entire world. The Qatari history, the culture, the tradition, the kindness of the people is truly remarkable. I’ve had the good fortune of traveling all over the Middle East, and all over the world with ONE Championship, and I can’t speak highly enough of Qatar.”

“Qatar represents the very best in the world, just like ONE Championship represents the very best in the world. And here, our World Champions, three World Title fights, unbelievable title fights, that I’m so excited for.”

*Middleweight MMA World Title: Reinier de Ridder 16-1 (c) v Anatoly Malykhin 13-0

ONE 166: Qatar is the upcoming event produced by ONE Championship that will take place on March 1, 2024, at Lusail Sports Arena in Lusail, Qatar.

Would have been 5 if Arjan Bhullar didn't look like shit in his last fight and make the ONE HW title look like it's a paper belt.

Better than the initial UFC Saudi card

Imagine Bhullar vs Ngannou or Lewis/Aspinall/Volkov would end bad for him. Arguably I think Lima also knocks him out rather easily.
Bhullar lost against the lineal ONE HW champ Wieczorek by omoplata, enough said

“Visually I can say that the attendance was around 90% of the capacity," Sityodtong said. Do not believe your eyes. Believe Chatri’s eyes.
GICFcWsbYAAjNU9.jpeg

Back