Old Vernon White story

Intellidamus

Title Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I just thought of a funny story I'd share with you. Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong forum & no it doesn't make me think I'm cool. I just wanted to share it.
I had my ass saved by Vernon 'Tiger' White from a pretty good beating back in May 1993. I just looked at his fight finder & realized it was just 4 months before his pro debut. I was at the Calaveras County fair & trying to break up a fight between my friends & a bunch of guys. I was pulling a guy off of one of my friends when I got pulled down myself. Next thing I know I'm getting kicked in the head by 3 cowboys from all directions. I had my hands protecting my face so I couldn't use them to stand up. Then all of a sudden it stopped & I feel someone pulling me out of there before security could come. I look back & see that 2 of the guys are on the ground & one is holding his face with blood going everywhere. Vernon said he was standing in line for a ride when he saw me getting kicked in the head. I ended up with my temples pretty swollen but it could've been worse.
Luckily I had been friends with Vernon. This was shortly after he had began training with Ken Shamrock. This was way back when MMA was just getting going & those guys probably didn't have a clue as to what hit them.
Thanks for listening & sorry about the rambling post.

I just thought of a funny story I'd share with you. Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong forum & no it doesn't make me think I'm cool. I just wanted to share it.
I had my ass saved by Vernon 'Tiger' White from a pretty good beating back in May 1993. I just looked at his fight finder & realized it was just 4 months before his pro debut. I was at the Calaveras County fair & trying to break up a fight between my friends & a bunch of guys. I was pulling a guy off of one of my friends when I got pulled down myself. Next thing I know I'm getting kicked in the head by 3 cowboys from all directions. I had my hands protecting my face so I couldn't use them to stand up. Then all of a sudden it stopped & I feel someone pulling me out of there before security could come. I look back & see that 2 of the guys are on the ground & one is holding his face with blood going everywhere. Vernon said he was standing in line for a ride when he saw me getting kicked in the head. I ended up with my temples pretty swollen but it could've been worse.
Luckily I had been friends with Vernon. This was shortly after he had began training with Ken Shamrock. This was way back when MMA was just getting going & those guys probably didn't have a clue as to what hit them.
Thanks for listening & sorry about the rambling post.

Haha, awesome story. Tiger had a full career for sure, as well as a good scrap with Liddell. Always cool to hear stories about vets

Also, just verifies for the 1000th time that a journeyman (and at the time inexperienced) fighter will fuck up the average group of dudes

War Tiger! Such a cool guy and an exceptional fighter.

Sorry to hear about you getting attacked by those assholes, but cool story. Tiger White was awesome back in the day.

Also, just verifies for the 1000th time that a journeyman (and at the time inexperienced) fighter will fuck up the average group of dudes

Yeah, It's like people can't fathom how much untrained fighters suck in comparison. How can you watch UFC level fighters and not imagine them dropping guys with single strikes, throwing off any clinch attempts with abandon etc

Cool story, bro

No, seriously, that's a really cool story

edit: Christ, quick look at his record, the man fought (in MMA)

Bas Rutten, Frank Shamrock, Pedro Rizzo, Mario Sperry, Vladimir Matyushenko (2x), Kazushi Sakuraba, David Terrell, Marvin Eastman (2x), Jeremy Horn, Chuck Liddell, Lyoto Machida

and fought Remy Fucking Bonjasky in K1, when Bonjasky was a killing machine

I forget how incredible his career was

Last edited:
Got any pics with Tiger White?

No. Back then obviously we didn't have cell phones & I never carried a camera with me.
I also went to an MC Hammer concert with him in 1990. ( funny shit I know, but Hammer was cool back then :) ) we both went to Calaveras High School & he was a couple of years older than me. He used to always be seen in the area running as he was training to get into Pancrase.
So I knew both Vernon & Jake Shields growing up. Jake was about 4 years younger than me.

And Vernon was a really good guy. I always hated seeing people bash him on here.

Cool man.. Don't like groups of guys kicking in the head. If somebody turtles you maybe throw 1-2 of those to prove a point, but groups of guys kicking to the head pisses me off. Glad you got saved from that by a guy who actually had a respectable career in MMA.

Every time I read the name Vernon White I am reminded of the huge cut Vitor gave him. I was at the Thomas and Mack Center when it happened. Sidenote it was my wife and I's first date.

Every time I read the name Vernon White I am reminded of the huge cut Vitor gave him. I was at the Thomas and Mack Center when it happened. Sidenote it was my wife and I's first date.

That was Marvin Eastman. You racist :)

Back