Old Vernon White story

No. Back then obviously we didn't have cell phones & I never carried a camera with me.
I also went to an MC Hammer concert with him in 1990. ( funny shit I know, but Hammer was cool back then :) ) we both went to Calaveras High School & he was a couple of years older than me. He used to always be seen in the area running as he was training to get into Pancrase.
So I knew both Vernon & Jake Shields growing up. Jake was about 4 years younger than me.

Too bad you don't have a pic of him and Shields wearing parachute pants at an MC Hammer show.

Too bad you don't have a pic of him and Shields wearing parachute pants at an MC Hammer show.

That'd be funny. Jake came from a total backwoods hippie family. To say Jake came from humble beginnings is an understatement.

Thanks for the story TS.

I can honestly say I've only seen one or two fights that Tiger White was in. My mind is still blown away at how awesome his scrap with Liddel was. He was fearless in the face of a murderer. Pissed off that the fight ended with one of Chuck's patented eye pokes though!

very cool. vernon got caught by two of my favorite fighters (in a head scissor by minoru suzuki, and an armbar by saku), but dude was still awesome

Respect to the Tiger

UFC49WeighIn018.jpg

susumu11.jpg

Good ol' Tiger, he's had a great and storied career, always nice to hear of fighters that actually do good stuff outside the ring/cage.

Was that the first time you met him?

Vernon "Tiger" White is an awesome fighter, he loved to win fights via TKO strikes. His war to a draw against Ian "The Machine" Freeman was insane! Especially considering Ian Freeman once stopped Frank Mir on account of strikes!

Yeah kicking people when they are down is so weak. I trained with a couple of clown kids(18 years old) who used to do that to other kids and I tried talking to one of them, telling him it was bullshit and how if he wanted to fight to get in the cage. He agreed but he was still doing it. He was a good fighter too.

On another occasion, I was driving along and saw a bouncer chasing a young guy, the bouncer was huge in comparison and angry, looked like he would have stomped him! I slowed down, ready to get out and protect the weaker party but realised it was one of the friends who instigate the soccer-kicks to the head. He turned around and started taunting the bouncer. So I drove off.

Always glad to hear when someone gets a fits in the face for circle booting an outnumbered guy on the ground.

Was that the first time you met him?

No. I knew him from high school. He was a couple of years older than me. As I said earlier I had even went to an MC Hammer ( don't laugh dammit) concert with him about 3 years prior to that. He was one of only 4 black kids in our school. Ironic with the last name White

Yeah, It's like people can't fathom how much untrained fighters suck in comparison. How can you watch UFC level fighters and not imagine them dropping guys with single strikes, throwing off any clinch attempts with abandon etc

The thing about that is, there are guys who have the athleticism and mean streak to be good fighters who never will become pros because of different things in their life.

Look at Danny Lafever 1 shotting Benji Radach. Radach was 15-1 and a UFC vet by the time he met Danny Lafever. His only loss at that time was to Sean Sherk by cut.

Danny Lafever then connects with a huge overhand right counter that puts Radach out cold before he even hits the canvas :55 secs into the 1st rd.

There's not a lot of them out there, but they ARE out there. Freaks of nature and dangerous nobodies that would fuck people up. Not to mention the fact that there is literally hundreds of hours of tape of pro fighters training and fighting to study, it's not that hard for me to believe a crazy dude could rock a pro in the streets.

The thing about that is, there are guys who have the athleticism and mean streak to be good fighters who never will become pros because of different things in their life.

Look at Danny Lafever 1 shotting Benji Radach. Radach was 15-1 and a UFC vet by the time he met Danny Lafever. His only loss at that time was to Sean Sherk by cut.

Danny Lafever then connects with a huge overhand right counter that puts Radach out cold before he even hits the canvas :55 secs into the 1st rd.

There's not a lot of them out there, but they ARE out there. Freaks of nature and dangerous nobodies that would fuck people up. Not to mention the fact that there is literally hundreds of hours of tape of pro fighters training and fighting to study, it's not that hard for me to believe a crazy dude could rock a pro in the streets.

dont believe any athletic or crazy guy could rock a pro fighter with training on the street, does not happen like this. Like a street racer cannot beat a pro racer, also see Kimbo slice's MMA fights for reference

Cool story.

That Liddell fight really could have been White's defining moment. Liddell was gassing and looking at the clock as White was continuing to come forward despite getting dropped a bunch. That one shot that broke White's orbital couldn't have come at a better time for Liddell. It was a really exciting fight. Going to rewatch it right now.

Back