Old guy advice (tl & too pompous DR)

Are you the type of man you would want your kids to grow up and be?

Legit solid advice everyone in their early 20s could benefit from.

Good advice homes. A lot of that goes without saying, which is to say it should be said.

Give people a second chance, but not a third.

Make friends with people you would like to be like.

You'll get several offers for something a little out of your comfort zone in your life, take them. To know it didn't work out is better than to wonder what might have been.

Be kind to yourself as you would a well loved pet, ensure you finish courses of medicine and that your diet is good.

Travel when you're young, do some of it alone, find a kind woman and make her happy.

Don't poison yourself.

Don't be afraid of commitments of a few years to achieve something greater. A few years can pass in a heart beat.

Plant trees for the next generation.

Never gamble against the house or for money you don't want to throw away, and don't lend friends money if you want to keep them. If you give anything to anyone do it as a gift, expect nothing back and you'll not be disappointed.

Never hit a woman or hurt a child.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about gifts at all.

I'm talking about something far more basic. Say please and thank you. Help even when it isn't requested. Ask the person's opinion and act on it. Collaborate on things instead of assuming what you say goes.

Here's an example. My wife is a great cook. She also likes to make our lunches to take to work each day--or so she says. In case she maybe doesn't reeeeeally feel like making lunch every single day, I acknowledge that she in fact does make lunch every day, it's delicious, it's appreciated, but any day she just doesn't fucking feel like it, she doesn't fucking have to. You dig? If she ups and says, not today, she gets no complaint from me, only understanding and offers to help. She needs to know that she didn't marry me to take on a job and I make sure of it. That's what I mean about not taking her for granted. I openly recognize her contribution to our mutual success as a couple and she does likewise. It has fuckall to do with gift giving--with all due respect.

Ah, Andy Capp, you wife-beating drunk- homer Simpson

Oh I hear you anti-Andy Capp. That was just an example. The little things like helping out, sharing time, caring about what they care about, sometimes passing up on something you want to do what she wants to do instead, that is what makes a marriage work or not.

This is a great quote- "She needs to know that she didn't marry me to take on a job" a lot of marriages would work better if more people thought about things this way.

Good advice. I don't see how it's pompous at all... we need more experienced guys mentoring the younger generation!

I agree with everything... although drug addiction, gambling debts, and DWIs is something you should think thoroughly in thr first place instead of reconsidering after they've already happened.
True, but I know in my own case, as a confused youngster trying to prove how manly I was, I created a couple of problems for myself that I should've avoided but didn't.....luckily I grew up enough and got self-confident enough to realize the destructive behaviors had to stop. That was what I was trying to say.

-Friends: quality over quantity.
-Work on your credit score.
-Cherish your parents. They'll be gone faster than you think.
-Learn to cook. It's good for you, your wallet and sex life.

My brother is quite succesful working in switzerland and when our mother got sick and old we discussed options about nursery homes, daycare etc.
He told me he has no money left.
That guy is earning north of 120k annualy. And I believe him, two cars, a house, motorcycle, fat TV, lots of abos etc.
That shit can easily eat all of that up without a blink.
I'm green tho, 25k annualy, one kid, humble life, still enough to travel once a month to neighbour countries for some days AND i have the freedom to do that.
Went to my mother, got shit done selling a couch to pay for that travel got her a flat with nurses taking care and found out about options to get some social support aaaaaand fuck it.
I'm down the bottle abit. Cheers!

Choose wisely guys.
You're a good man.

Get a hobby that you are passionate about, and stick with it. A lot of men abandon their hobbies when they marry and have children, then live vicariously through their children. It is better to inspire your children through your own actions.

For example I love running. Signing up for events, making and sticking to a training plan by working your arse off. Pushing through adversity and days where you just don't feel like doing it. Making sure your preparation and equipment is on point. Then at that event start line you have that excitement and buzz with all the other participants and families > that finish line where you look completely wrecked.... but smiling as you cross that line, having achieved your goal. Thanking your family for their support. It's an important lesson for your children and so important that you don't give up on your own dreams.
Yeah but you also have to make sure your hobbies aren't exclusive of your family or pay particular attention to the time balance you spend between the 2. If your wife and or kids don't like running and you're training for a marathon, that is a lot of time away from them. throw in working a full time job and it is then difficult to spend enough time on things they want to do....balance is hard.

Better yet, find a job with a defined benefit pension plan, if those even still exist.
But if you must, yes absolutely match your employer’s contribution.

The 401k being forced on American workers as the primary means of retirement savings fucked is all. All in the name of making Wall Street more money, and making CEOs more money at the expense of working people.

You see, you guys might not know this, but all your parents, the boomers, they all had defined benefit pension plans for retirement. They didn’t have to essentially gamble on the stock market and hope it worked out for retirement.

Then they voted in all the politicians who would destroy unions, and destroy those pension plans, and force Americans to rely on 401Ks for retirement savings.
this is probably a whole nother thread.......there aren't many defined pension plan jobs left outside of cop & teacher.....The union thing is a slippery slope. My mom was a union negotiator for her job, so I grew up in a pro union house but all I've seen from my dealings with unions is they fight for the shittiest of workers to look strong to the rank and file but no longer produce superior work compared to non-union shops. It is like they forgot the beneficial second part of their bargain. And while I wish a pension was an option for me, it wasn't, so yes gambling in the market is not what I want to do, but it is the smart thing to do in the economic environment we find ourselves......and the advice to accept that, teach yourself the basics of investing, and start early so you maximize Time in the market vs hoping to Time the market as you near retirement, is something the younger Dogs here should think about.

As someone with 2 cruises lined up in the next 3 months, I disagree lol.
nothing wrong with that if that is the way you are comfortable travelling, but I wouldn't say I've been to _________ country or city if my cruise ship dropped me off for a 5 hour canned tour and then I had to get back on and start drinking free mai tais again. My advice is for people to try to get a better real sense of what the place they are going to is like for the average person that lives there. You don't get that from a cruise.....But damn they can be fun and are a great way to spend time with older parents who can't do a more vigorous type of travel

"All the crap you do all day, who fucking cares anyway?" - some beer commercial

@koquerelle comes strong-

"Cherish your parents. They'll be gone faster than you think.
-Learn to cook. It's good for you, your wallet and sex life."

Have low expectations. You'll have more happiness and less disappointments.

nothing wrong with that if that is the way you are comfortable travelling, but I wouldn't say I've been to _________ country or city if my cruise ship dropped me off for a 5 hour canned tour and then I had to get back on and start drinking free mai tais again. My advice is for people to try to get a better real sense of what the place they are going to is like for the average person that lives there. You don't get that from a cruise.....But damn they can be fun and are a great way to spend time with older parents who can't do a more vigorous type of travel
I get what you're saying. Alot of it depends on the port though. Cozumel, yeah geared for tourists and Mr Sanchos is not authentic Mexico lol. On the other hand, if you port in Progresso, you can experience more authentic Mexico.

"All the crap you do all day, who fucking cares anyway?" - some beer commercial

If your coach and team don't care, you need to find a new coach and teammates......but yeah the lesson of don't make excuses is solid advice

If your coach and team don't care, you need to find a new coach and teammates......but yeah the lesson of don't make excuses is solid advice
Not just don't make excuses. Also don't be scared and don't get anxiety from pressure. If you mess up it's not the end of the world because nobody cares and you can just do better next time.

Back