Old guy advice (tl & too pompous DR)

did you do this as some weird racial dig at me and pasty Owen? that's wrong dude. Now give me my own forum called the Rabbit Hole Tavern for a week and let me loose.

Preach though, i spent summers at the beach and fishing with my grandfather in an open small boat and have already had my first of what will likely be many skin cancer growth burned off my face. Putting on Sun screen and those big floppy dorky hats suck but the smell of your own burning flesh and the C word sucks way worse

Last edited:
We like our songs sad and our wars joyous.............

more advice...Don't believe in stereotypes, sample other culture's food and traditions there is a reason they love them and you might just too. People don't remember you for the things you don't do, so do shit with them...find weird shit to do when you take a woman or man on your first date..any schmuck can take her to the movies and diner, she'll remember you if you take her to six flags or to ride a mechanical bull. the date may suck but you will have ridden a bunch of fun shit either way.
True, get out of your bubble and fucking learn. You were conditioned to certain standarts growing up and that's important to be a functioning member in your social and cultural circumstances but they aren't the one and for all.
Go to China, Indonesia, Thailand, India, you name it. All of these folks are just as legit in their ways than you are.

Cultivate friends BUT only keep them if they prove to be worth it. Meet lots of people, discard most of them, keep the few that prove themselves through actions and words and proof that they care about you. (inspired by the very interesting recent thread)

Lots of great advice. I think I'll bookmark this thread and continually come back to it.

This quote though hits home. I should have done this a long time ago. I mainly could have saved myself a lot of work that was mostly for nothing.

I've started to wonder what it would be like to have a friend that was as into the friendship as I was. Equal level friends must be great.
<mma1>

Debt is such a pain on your psyche, it'll be there overshadowing every step you take nagging on you constantly.

And yap, it's always handy to have some willing side girls on the line if you're down on hunger.
I have that saying that even if you have the best gourmet meal at home, time will come where you'll still desire for that shitty kebab. And that's fine, just don't make that your regular.

The key to financial happiness is have no debt, buy don't rent, start investing cautiously young and have those investments build a PASSIVE income stream. Then you get to wake up 1 morning and see that Starbucks or JNJ gave you $100 just for waking up on the day they pay their quarterly divvy. I wish to god my mom or dad had taught me to invest...I credit them for teaching me to not borrow and save but if I started investing with my 1st real grown up job after school, even if I was fairly shitty at it, I'd be retired now

Don't let the kebab ruin your goumet meal would be my advice.. you can always get a kebab, you can't always eat fancy.

Don't let the kebab ruin your goumet meal would be my advice.. you can always get a kebab, you can't always eat fancy.
True. And just because you crave for it in the moment doesnt mean you'll eat it.

Regarding finances, I guess you are from the US, right?
There's sooooo much money in the US everywhere. Even the poor have houses I would wish to own. Have a fucked up pool, cars etc.
Here, and I'm still on top compared to most of the world, you struggle to rent a 3 room apartment with a normal job, pay car, trash, taxes etc.
So you really have to be longtime dedicated to build up over decades and I'm just not that guy. So rent it is and no fucks given. I'm quite good with my life.

Have a great weekend and thanks for the thread!

True. And just because you crave for it in the moment doesnt mean you'll eat it.

Regarding finances, I guess you are from the US, right?
There's sooooo much money in the US everywhere. Even the poor have houses I would wish to own. Have a fucked up pool, cars etc.
Here, and I'm still on top compared to most of the world, you struggle to rent a 3 room apartment with a normal job, pay car, trash, taxes etc.
So you really have to be longtime dedicated to build up over decades and I'm just not that guy. So rent it is and no fucks given. I'm quite good with my life.

Have a great weekend and thanks for the thread!

i hear you and of course every country has different circumstances, I work with a brother and sister from Venezuela and their options were very limited until they got out.

I guess the heart of that advice is really Live on less than you earn if you can. I know plenty of people with great salaries and seemingly doing really well who are 1 bad break away from being ass out on the street in a very short time because they overspend, never tell their kids no, and carry huge debt. just lost the husband of great family friends who were seemingly doing way better than me, now the finances come to light after the funeral and it is a very bleak picture that he hid well and that was before all the medical bills have even started coming in

Cheers, I enjoyed the conversation.

Oh and if you are equipped to care for them properly, own a pet. they bring so much joy into your life and can teach you a lot of shit about responsibility and loyalty it is crazy. if you don't believe me read some of the responses to my "who here has the guts to post a picture of their pet" thread.......just don't own a fucking iguana, their shit is like acid, they have no love for you in their reptilian hearts, they will whip your ass with that long fucking tail and if the heat goes out in the winter you either sleep with their cold blooded ass on your or dig their grave in the frozen ground the next day.....and yet I still miss old Al-baby.

i hear you and of course every country has different circumstances, I work with a brother and sister from Venezuela and their options were very limited until they got out.

I guess the heart of that advice is really Live on less than you earn if you can. I know plenty of people with great salaries and seemingly doing really well who are 1 bad break away from being ass out on the street in a very short time because they overspend, never tell their kids no, and carry huge debt. just lost the husband of great family friends who were seemingly doing way better than me, now the finances come to light after the funeral and it is a very bleak picture that he hid well and that was before all the medical bills have even started coming in

Cheers, I enjoyed the conversation.
My brother is quite succesful working in switzerland and when our mother got sick and old we discussed options about nursery homes, daycare etc.
He told me he has no money left.
That guy is earning north of 120k annualy. And I believe him, two cars, a house, motorcycle, fat TV, lots of abos etc.
That shit can easily eat all of that up without a blink.
I'm green tho, 25k annualy, one kid, humble life, still enough to travel once a month to neighbour countries for some days AND i have the freedom to do that.
Went to my mother, got shit done selling a couch to pay for that travel got her a flat with nurses taking care and found out about options to get some social support aaaaaand fuck it.
I'm down the bottle abit. Cheers!

Choose wisely guys.

7937dca4-1aec-48a4-a3ed-269eebd8d819_text.gif

...but don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

Oh, and last one. Don't try to donwload Baldurs Gate 3 with a mobile hotspot from your phone in germany.
It's no fun at all.

We like our songs sad and our wars joyous.............

more advice...Don't believe in stereotypes, sample other culture's food and traditions there is a reason they love them and you might just too. People don't remember you for the things you don't do, so do shit with them...find weird shit to do when you take a woman or man on your first date..any schmuck can take her to the movies and diner, she'll remember you if you take her to six flags or to ride a mechanical bull. the date may suck but you will have ridden a bunch of fun shit either way.
This just in, TS starts the thread with generalities and continues with "don't believe in stereotypes" lol

j/k -- don't take that to heart

In all seriousness here's my advice:

Don't take people for granted, especially your spouse.

Learn the golden rule and live it every day. I.e. don't be an arsehole.

Have empathy for people. You never know when you might be one of the unfortunate ones and you will feel better receiving help from people you don't look down upon.

These are really three different ways of saying the same thing: empathy costs nothing.

This just in, TS starts the thread with generalities and continues with "don't believe in stereotypes" lol

j/k -- don't take that to heart

In all seriousness here's my advice:

Don't take people for granted, especially your spouse.

Learn the golden rule and live it every day. I.e. don't be an arsehole.

Have empathy for people. You never know when you might be one of the unfortunate ones and you will feel better receiving help from people you don't look down upon.

the guy with the Andy Capp avatar says "Don't take people for granted, especially your spouse." IRONY....

Just kidding solid responses and yeah if you randomly send your spouse a gift rather than doing it on a required day like valentiens day it goes a longer way.

When I was dating my future wife, she got a new job surrounded by all these alpha male type a banker douches....i used to send her flowers at work all the time....i was marking my territory with something that smelled better than urine and letting those bastards know this one is taken and taken care of....go sexually harass someone else

Jesus how does anyone not appreciate Pliny Pete? Though I do think Pliny Petey makes for a better screen name.....and come to think of it what the fuck does Pliny mean? is it a whole ode to Pliny the elder? I rather liked Pliny the Middle Child's philosophy better

the guy with the Andy Capp avatar says "Don't take people for granted, especially your spouse." IRONY....

Just kidding solid responses and yeah if you randomly send your spouse a gift rather than doing it on a required day like valentiens day it goes a longer way.

When I was dating my future wife, she got a new job surrounded by all these alpha male type a banker douches....i used to send her flowers at work all the time....i was marking my territory with something that smelled better than urine and letting those bastards know this one is taken and taken care of....go sexually harass someone else
I'm not talking about gifts at all.

I'm talking about something far more basic. Say please and thank you. Help even when it isn't requested. Ask the person's opinion and act on it. Collaborate on things instead of assuming what you say goes.

Here's an example. My wife is a great cook. She also likes to make our lunches to take to work each day--or so she says. In case she maybe doesn't reeeeeally feel like making lunch every single day, I acknowledge that she in fact does make lunch every day, it's delicious, it's appreciated, but any day she just doesn't fucking feel like it, she doesn't fucking have to. You dig? If she ups and says, not today, she gets no complaint from me, only understanding and offers to help. She needs to know that she didn't marry me to take on a job and I make sure of it. That's what I mean about not taking her for granted. I openly recognize her contribution to our mutual success as a couple and she does likewise. It has fuckall to do with gift giving--with all due respect.

Good advice. I don't see how it's pompous at all... we need more experienced guys mentoring the younger generation!

I agree with everything... although drug addiction, gambling debts, and DWIs is something you should think thoroughly in thr first place instead of reconsidering after they've already happened.

Get a hobby that you are passionate about, and stick with it. A lot of men abandon their hobbies when they marry and have children, then live vicariously through their children. It is better to inspire your children through your own actions.

For example I love running. Signing up for events, making and sticking to a training plan by working your arse off. Pushing through adversity and days where you just don't feel like doing it. Making sure your preparation and equipment is on point. Then at that event start line you have that excitement and buzz with all the other participants and families > that finish line where you look completely wrecked.... but smiling as you cross that line, having achieved your goal. Thanking your family for their support. It's an important lesson for your children and so important that you don't give up on your own dreams.

The irony I've seen a lot in real life is that unlike movies, people that needed advice the most tend to not want to hear it the most. And because we can only help people who want to be helped, most great advice tend to fall on deaf ears.

Always want what you have and you'll always have what you want.

Cherish Family- BUT only if they are worth it. Just because you share blood doesn’t mean they are good for you the rest of your life. Toxic is toxic regardless of DNA and even really good families sometimes produce a bad seed.

Cultivate friends BUT only keep them if they prove to be worth it. Meet lots of people, discard most of them, keep the few that prove themselves through actions and words and proof that they care about you. (inspired by the very interesting recent thread)

Have fun- But make sure it doesn’t get out of control or go on too long- DWI- time to reconsider. Drug purchases taking away your rent money, time to reconsider, arrested- time to reconsider- Friends warning you about your choices constantly time to reconsider. Chasing your gambling loses & fucking over your debts, time to reconsider. It starts affecting your physical, mental or emotional health, time to reconsider. My theory of Fucknuttery is when you hit roughly 25 for males or 23 for females, you look up and decide if you’re going to get serious or be a high school like fucknut the rest of your life, my advice is don’t be a fucknut

Travel- when young do it on the cheap, after that do it as you are comfortable with it physically and financially. If nobody wants to go with you, go yourself it’ll force you to meet people. Personal advice don’t do it on cruise ships and all inclusive resorts, immerse yourself in where you are don’t seal yourself off behind fancy walls

Learning doesn't end when school does, learning doesn't only happen in schools. read some classics and philosophy there are reasons they have remained relevant a long time in human history

Invest- Max your work’s 401 match and then be safe with Mutual funds and Dividend paying blue chip stocks. Once you have a solid footing and reliable passive income, you can get crazy with micro caps and options. Do all of this only with $’s you can afford to lose.

Kindness pays dividends and Selfishness charges interest. In the long run you win with niceness you lose being a dick. In the short run dicks often seem to get what they want but rarely do their lives end up being fulfilling or their funerals well attended

Careers are important, but if you’ve got Maslow’s basic needs covered, look for purpose or enjoyment in your work rather than how big the salary is. Mentor those below you, one day they may be equal or above you. Work for a charity or someplace that helps other people rather than just making a profit selling useless shit.

Embrace your interests and find people that share them, don’t be worried about if they are “dorky” you like something, others do to, the internet is really good for this ala Sherdog. None of my friends still follow MMA yet I get to spend quality time with all of you here.

Write mma Haiku's it is so fucking zen!

I would love for other old guys to kick in their thoughts so these crazy younglings can learn from our mistakes.
<Selugi> This is all grate advice do this and fuck
The denigrators

Last edited:
Invest- Max your work’s 401 match and then be safe with Mutual funds and Dividend paying blue chip stocks. Once you have a solid footing and reliable passive income, you can get crazy with micro caps and options. Do all of this only with $’s you can afford to lose.

Better yet, find a job with a defined benefit pension plan, if those even still exist.
But if you must, yes absolutely match your employer’s contribution.

The 401k being forced on American workers as the primary means of retirement savings fucked is all. All in the name of making Wall Street more money, and making CEOs more money at the expense of working people.

You see, you guys might not know this, but all your parents, the boomers, they all had defined benefit pension plans for retirement. They didn’t have to essentially gamble on the stock market and hope it worked out for retirement.

Then they voted in all the politicians who would destroy unions, and destroy those pension plans, and force Americans to rely on 401Ks for retirement savings.

Back