Ok I have the answer to Mackenzie Derns changing accent

You're a tad confused.

Here, she's close to an adult (17 years old) and speaks perfect English. She started speaking broken Engrish when she was 19. She was back to speaking perfect English about a year later in other interviews.

I'm going to conceded defeat, but I'm really confused as to what you consider adulthood. I don't need an answer though.

I don't know what she was doing in 2012.
I know, however, anecdotally at least that accents don't particularly take long to form. I also know that humans can have more than one accent, and fall into one or another based on context, particularly if they're multilingual. You can even observe a less dramatic version of non multilingual people doing this, ie a person who goes to college in the south, but is from the North switching back and forth. I personally switch back and forth between multiple accents depending on where I am and what language I'm speaking, sometimes on purpose - but often I slip into it just based on spending time with a person, or in a particular place.

Your positing that she's a phony because she's adopting an accent on purpose. I said that may be true, I don't know enough about her life to say that. If you think that's the best explanation based on what you know, I think that's just more power to you.

How long does it take? We have a video of her speaking with a fellow Brazilian in a traditional American accent 5 months before she was speaking Engrish with her Brazilian teammates. So the answer would have to be 5 months at the very least.

'I personally switch back and forth...' So does Joe Biden, apparently. 'Dey gon put ya'll back in chains!' This is analogous to Barack Obama, who had a white American upbringing (when he wasn't overseas in a predominantly Muslim country), speaking ebonics when he's in front of black audiences. Much like Obama, Mackenzie didn't grow up with any accent/dialect besides what you heard in the 2010 video.

How long does it take? We have a video of her speaking with a fellow Brazilian in a traditional American accent 5 months before she was speaking Engrish with her Brazilian teammates. So the answer would have to be 5 months at the very least.

'I personally switch back and forth...' So does Joe Biden, apparently. 'Dey gon put ya'll back in chains!' This is analogous to Barack Obama, who had a white American upbringing (when he wasn't overseas in a predominantly Muslim country), speaking ebonics when he's in front of black audiences. Much like Obama, Mackenzie didn't grow up with any accent/dialect besides what you heard in the 2010 video.

Why would I care about Obama or Biden? And I'm not talking about personally switching between American dialects/accents. So no idea why that's relevant to me here.

And what do you mean how long does it take? It's person dependent.

But like I said, and I'll say again - if that's what you think is happening (phony accent acquisition), then that's what's happening to her in your opinion. That's fine.

So this has been a topic of contention recently on these boards and one used to mock her, I admit I partook in this too as it was just plain weird

But then I saw this video and clicked what the hell is going on..

Take any non English speaker as first language who speaks English and they do so with an accent as their predominant accent takes over - just pick any brazillian JDS, Nogs, Werdum or French Canadian GSP

Makes sense so far - they speak the English language in their OWN accent

Now take Dern Shes an English speaker with an American accent right?

BUT

She has been spending alot of time training and living in Brazil and speaking her mother tongue of Portuguesse and with anyone learning a language you try extreemly hard to develop the palate and tongue placements to achieve the accent, portuguese has actually been Derns predominant spoken language for the last few years

So now what we have is an individual whos SECOND language (the one they speak least often) is actually English and when they speak in that language they bring across the palate and tongue placements of the PORTUGUESE accent (just like the Brazillian fighters above) NOT the other way around when it would have been initially when she was transitioning to Portuguese with an AMERICAN accent

No further questions your honour - Case dismissed

So When she speaks Portuguese , does she have an American accent?

aab626a74c5c6057a737ebf25a260ffa.jpg
I think the greater mystery over her accent is when was she ever this skinny with such a flat tummy? She's an attractive girl but she has never looked this thin even on weigh-in day when she is at her lightest. Potential Photoshop job?

I think the greater mystery over her accent is when was she ever this skinny with such a flat tummy? She's an attractive girl but she has never looked this thin even on weigh-in day when she is at her lightest. Potential Photoshop job?

I think so too.

So When she speaks Portuguese , does she have an American accent?

A good speaker will try to eradicate their own accent when speaking a language that is not native to them

GSP is a poor example of this

Gustavson (like a lot of Europeans) is a good example where their native accent is barely recogniseable speaking English as they learn the accent watching american Sitcoms like Friends

Back