Ok I have the answer to Mackenzie Derns changing accent

OH good, in was getting worried we'd have to go a week without a thread about Dern's accent. Thank God someone stepped up and made one.

That shit takes years to change. I know from experience. I call shenanigans on a month to month change.
She started living in Brazil at the age of 14, that's high school. That's when you actually learn a complete vocabulary. I also know from experience. I'm the youngest of 3 brothers, spoke Spanish and English as a child, really only spoke English growing up with my friends a such. My oldest brother has a strong accent and I throw in English words when I'm speaking Spanish

giphy.gif
Lol it wasn't that long of a read

She started living in Brazil at the age of 14, that's high school. That's when you actually learn a complete vocabulary. I also know from experience. I'm the youngest of 3 brothers, spoke Spanish and English as a child, really only spoke English growing up with my friends a such. My oldest brother has a strong accent and I throw in English words when I'm speaking Spanish

Plus it's person dependent. Many people who is bilingual and grew up speaking two languages knows that this can occur. I subconsciously switch my accents based on who I'm around as well, and sometimes family jokes with me about it, but it can happen. She grew up speaking both, from what I know, started living in Brazil at the age of 14 - it is actually possible to have multiple accents that are yours. Plus the fact that at some point she made a conscious decision to focus more on portuguese (which is what I think the timelapse videos show more than a fake accent) could easily explain why one accent became more prevelant over another. People both consciously and subconsciously begin to mimick the speech patterns of those they spend the most amount of time around, even into adult hood. Bidialectalism is an actual area of linguistic and sociolinguistic study. So while people saying "She's adopting an accent to fit in" that's probably true. But that doesn't make it phony or fraudulent, and to assume that it is or isn't is just that... an assumption.

You begin thinking in the other language. English is one of he few languages that structures sentences the way we do. TS is actually 100% correct. I'm only surprised it needed to be said.

No, TS is speaking nonsense.

She spoke like a suburban white girl (which is what she is) as an adult. Her accent changed in a span of 5 months in between the year 2011 and 2012. She made a conscious to go from suburban white girl to broken Brazilian Engrish to fit in with her peers.

That shit takes years to change. I know from experience. I call shenanigans on a month to month change.

Naw.

I spend a week with my Montreal Italian cousins and I start to talk like them. Then I come back home to Hicksville Canada, and within a few days I'm talking like a backwoods hoser again.

Is normal.

Plus it's person dependent. Many people who is bilingual and grew up speaking two languages knows that this can occur. I subconsciously switch my accents based on who I'm around as well, and sometimes family jokes with me about it, but it can happen. She grew up speaking both, from what I know, started living in Brazil at the age of 14 - it is actually possible to have multiple accents that are yours. Plus the fact that at some point she made a conscious decision to focus more on portuguese (which is what I think the timelapse videos show more than a fake accent) could easily explain why one accent became more prevelant over another. People both consciously and subconsciously begin to mimick the speech patterns of those they spend the most amount of time around, even into adult hood. Bidialectalism is an actual area of linguistic and sociolinguistic study. So while people saying "She's adopting an accent to fit in" that's probably true. But that doesn't make it phony or fraudulent, and to assume that it is or isn't is just that... an assumption.

These are all convenient excuses, but they're not accurate.

Dern in 2011 speaking with a Brazilian friend:

Accent is feint, if not non-existent.

5 months later, in Brazil, sitting next to her fellow Brazilian teammates:

Sounds like she started learning English the day before.

Following year:

*phew* She remembered how to speak English properly.

These are all convenient excuses, but they're not accurate.

Dern in 2011 speaking with a Brazilian friend:

Accent is feint, if not non-existent.

5 months later, in Brazil, sitting next to her fellow Brazilian teammates:

Sounds like she started learning English the day before.

Following year:

*phew* She remembered how to speak English properly.

You're making assumptions. I conceded that it could be fraudulent. If you're willing to take what you see and run with your opinion as fact, then more power too you.

shes addressed and explained this herself in a video before.

naw, I speak English with an English tongue tone/accent
but my Vietnamese (which I am is my second language) is spot on as well
having grown up in a Vietnamese speaking house where my parents spoke to me in Vietnamese and growing up in an English speaking culture
I think being exposed to both at a young age is the playing factor

You're making assumptions. I conceded that it could be fraudulent. If you're willing to take what you see and run with your opinion as fact, then more power too you.
It's so incredibly obvious. She has lived around Brazilians, trained with Brazilians, and trained in Brazil for years. Why is there no evidence of an accent before the 2012 timeframe? Human beings love to use all sorts of mental gymnastics just to avoid the most obvious answer.

It's so incredibly obvious. She has lived around Brazilians, trained with Brazilians, and trained in Brazil for years. Why is there no evidence of an accent before the 2012 timeframe? Human beings love to use all sorts of mental gymnastics just to avoid the most obvious answer.
Yes, indeed.

Yes, indeed.

Any answer to the question I asked? 'Why is there no evidence of an accent before the 2012 timeframe?' She still lives in the United States, IIRC, and primarily competes in the United States. Strange how the accent is only getting thicker (with everyone she speaks to, not just Brazilians).

Any answer to the question I asked? 'Why is there no evidence of an accent before the 2012 timeframe?' She still lives in the United States, IIRC, and primarily competes in the United States. Strange how the accent is only getting thicker (with everyone she speaks to, not just Brazilians).

How or why would I know the answer to that?

Couldn't agree more. And Lol at the accent switching because around Christmas when al my family is around I'm Spanish again, thick assed accent and all. You can tell by the way she says things that her brain is formulating the sentence in Portuguese. She mixes up words when speaking in past tense because most languages don't have a single word to distinguish past and present, you have to say you are speaking about the past.
No, TS is speaking nonsense.

She spoke like a suburban white girl (which is what she is) as an adult. Her accent changed in a span of 5 months in between the year 2011 and 2012. She made a conscious to go from suburban white girl to broken Brazilian Engrish to fit in with her peers.

Wow you figured it all out. At the age of 14 she started living in a Portuguese speaking country and 4 years later she started sounding Portuguese.
Olvídese de Sherlock Holmes, el inspector Coolidge está en el trabajo y ha abierto el caso de par en par. < That's my first language so I have some experience with this

As already mentioned in this thread, a big part of that is to fit in, kinda acting which becomes a habit if done long enough. I grew up bilingual and spent a lot of time in Germany. Went to study philology, where you have to unlearn your habits since birth, and it so happens that 2 of my friends are bilingual as well. We'll make fun of the one who acts it up and he comes back to his senses. A word forgot/misplaced here and there is normal when you're a month without speaking your native tongue, but I haven't come across an accent change that happens that quickly. That's my experience with it at least. I could be wrong, just haven't seen it.

No idea. You don't have any thoughts on why that could be? I'm curious why this second accent formed in 2012.
I don't know what she was doing in 2012.
I know, however, anecdotally at least that accents don't particularly take long to form. I also know that humans can have more than one accent, and fall into one or another based on context, particularly if they're multilingual. You can even observe a less dramatic version of non multilingual people doing this, ie a person who goes to college in the south, but is from the North switching back and forth. I personally switch back and forth between multiple accents depending on where I am and what language I'm speaking, sometimes on purpose - but often I slip into it just based on spending time with a person, or in a particular place.

Your positing that she's a phony because she's adopting an accent on purpose. I said that may be true, I don't know enough about her life to say that. If you think that's the best explanation based on what you know, I think that's just more power to you.

Wow you figured it all out. At the age of 14 she started living in a Portuguese speaking country and 4 years later she started sounding Portuguese.
Olvídese de Sherlock Holmes, el inspector Coolidge está en el trabajo y ha abierto el caso de par en par. < That's my first language so I have some experience with this

You're a tad confused.

Here, she's close to an adult (17 years old) and speaks perfect English. She started speaking broken Engrish when she was 19. She was back to speaking perfect English about a year later in other interviews.

Back