Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Credit to @det_regnar_på_vår_kärlek for finding this one:

Nicco came in massively heavy. 3 days before weigh-ins and she's nearly 20 lbs over.

If I'm getting the date stamps on the UFC Embedded episode correct, Valentina was at 128 lbs on Tuesday.

Yeah. This is what happens when you try to come into the cage heavier than most of the male Flyweights. Nicco was heavier than Cejudo, DJ, and Torres were at UFC 227. And you wonder why her body decided to go "fuck this shit" and shut down.
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/...ut-six-fighters-come-in-over-csac-regulations

Credit to @det_regnar_på_vår_kärlek for finding this one:

Nicco came in massively heavy. 3 days before weigh-ins and she's nearly 20 lbs over.

If I'm getting the date stamps on the UFC Embedded episode correct, Valentina was at 128 lbs on Tuesday.

Yeah. This is what happens when you try to come into the cage heavier than most of the male Flyweights. Nicco was heavier than Cejudo, DJ, and Torres were at UFC 227. And you wonder why her body decided to go "fuck this shit" and shut down.
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/...ut-six-fighters-come-in-over-csac-regulations

Yup, this is why i'm done arguing with people who say it was not a weight issue. If with all this evidence you still can't come to that conclusion its useless to go back and forth.

Just to compare to the nearly twenty pounds Nicco was trying to cut just days before the fight vs Valentina: GSP, a much bigger male fighter, was 196 pounds in the Embedded videos the week of the fight before he started cutting to make 185 in his most recent bout against Michael Bisping.

Just to compare to the nearly twenty pounds Nicco was trying to cut just days before the fight vs Valentina: GSP, a much bigger male fighter, was 196 pounds in the Embedded videos the week of the fight before he started cutting to make 185 in his most recent bout against Michael Bisping.
That's cause GSP isn't that big for 185, Cyborg cuts 26 lbs the week of according to her own words. (1:38)

That's cause GSP isn't that big for 185, Cyborg cuts 26 lbs the week of according to her own words. (1:38)

A- Cyborg is a LOT bigger than Nicco so she has more pounds to lose as a percentage of her total weight.
B- Cyborg is a lot more experienced at big weight cuts than Nicco and surely knows her body by now as evidenced that she always makes weight even when the UFC forced her to a 140 pounds catchweight.
C- This kind of grueling weight cut is not something Nicco should be aspiring to, especially since Cyborg is cutting way down by necessity to the biggest female weight division the sport offers while Nicco can control how much she weighs between camps.

A- Cyborg is a LOT bigger than Nicco so she has more pounds to lose as a percentage of her total weight.
B- Cyborg is a lot more experienced at big weight cuts than Nicco and surely knows her body by now as evidenced that she always makes weight even when the UFC forced her to a 140 pounds catchweight.
C- This kind of grueling weight cut is not something Nicco should be aspiring to.
Yeah but she's not as big as GSP, so it's at least a more relevant example. Agreed otherwise, though she managed 16 without issue last time, so not too different, somewhere in that 3 lbs was just her limit

Shit that involves potential organ failure should not be involved in any sport.

Moving on, DEEP JEWELS 21 is this Saturday. Tomo Maesawa vs Korean prospect Jeong Eun Park headlines in what is likely a title eliminator. Idol Nanaka Kawamura takes a big step up,experience wise against 6-6 Yuko Kiryu. JWMMA mainstay Mika Nagano will be in action, along with rising prospect Mika Arai.

The event will stream live on Abema TV (viewers outside Japan will require a VPN).

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/54187-deep-jewels-21

Apparently Yan and the Leech were in NYC for NY Fashion Week, modeling active wear.

It’s easy to know when Chinese fighters are traveling outside the motherland, because they suddenly become active on social media.

What Nicco Montano should have done is through out her camp
gradually lose the 19 lbs she was carrying therefore she wouldn't
have arrived in Dallas as heavy.

If Nicco was 144, what was she when first seeking help at the Performance Institute? She had to have been more.

If she indeed experienced some metabolic down-regulation, then past and future labwork will demonstrate that (assuming values return).

Last edited:
If Nicco was 144, what was she when first seeking help at the Performance Institute? She had to have been more.

She looked really heavy. Of course, that is not exactly an objective measure. But she had clearly gained a lot of bodyfat.

She looked really heavy. Of course, that is not exactly an objective measure. But she had clearly gained a lot of bodyfat.
It seems to me that she gained some excess weight post injury, and had a harder time than normal losing it due to metabolic changes, which likely came from a combination of TUF, and the time off.

She should’ve been at the PI permanently, or more frequently at a minimum. (I know that costs money, but Nicco is not far from the PI, relative to her peers). At least then, UFC officals would’ve seen and heard results from people they trust.

This is not a prediction or anything because what I am about to say is not really based on any actual proof or anything but just a noticeable change in a fighters behavior. Leah Letson went from never posting any inspirational quotes to constantly posting inspirational quotes about taking advantage of opportunities. It could be nothing but usually a change is an athletes behavior points to something. I would not be surprised if she is one of the finalist or at the very least was a top 4 like Pannie.

This is not a prediction or anything because what I am about to say is not really based on any actual proof or anything but just a noticeable change in a fighters behavior. Leah Letson went from never posting any inspirational quotes to constantly posting inspirational quotes about taking advantage of opportunities. It could be nothing but usually a change is an athletes behavior points to something. I would not be surprised if she is one of the finalist or at the very least was a top 4 like Pannie.

...or bombed big time and tries to find a way to find a positive in this experience :)

She’s one of the ones I’d suspect to go deeper into the tournament.

Illma vs Val in Hawaii for Bellator.

Back