Official Women's Division Discussion #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we have a winner by GnP in the second round. Stoppage was early but it is okay. Lansberg wasn't getting out of that situation.

Ladd speaks.
I bet the "octagon jitters" were double bad for Ladd after the disaster that struck on her first attempt at debuting.... but she obviously cleared her head in that one round of looking like a tool standing in Lansberg's clinch and then it was back to what she was doing in Invicta. Nice :)

Also, bathtub the size of a bucket :D

Ladd's screaming had me shook. Early stoppage in my opinion but at the same time I thought it was going to get stopped anyway so it didn't really bother me much. Would like to see Ladd vs. Correia, or Smith.

I'd also like to see Lansberg vs. Aldana.

Ladd's screaming had me shook. Early stoppage in my opinion but at the same time I thought it was going to get stopped anyway so it didn't really bother me much. Would like to see Ladd vs. Correia, or Smith.

Damn, had the sound off. Will have to re-watch. Always nice when one of Cyborg's "opponents" gets beat by a woman making her debut in a lower weight class.

Great rebound for KK. Was hoping she'd bounce back from her 2 fight losing streak and she did. Would like to see KK vs. Moroz next, but I feel like we'll get KK vs. Andrade instead or something. Well, I mean she did call her out so I feel like now it's gonna happen. Not a good fight for Karolina IMO.

Jodie was hella undersized. Maybe a fight vs. Moyle?

Honestly, the division is running short on competitors, of the top 10, Joanna hasn't faced Tecia, Michelle, Cynthia and Felice (ruled out Rose because they're fighting next, and Paige because she's moving up). They might fast track Calvillo to a title shot if she beats Esparza and I am holding out for a title eliminator between the winners of TT / KH and Felice / Cortney. Man I hope Suarez shakes things up lol.

Last edited:
Great rebound for KK. Was hoping she'd bounce back from her 2 fight losing streak and she did. Would like to see KK vs. Moroz next, but I feel like we'll get KK vs. Andrade instead or something. Well, I mean she did call her out so I feel like now it's gonna happen. Not a good fight for Karolina IMO.

Agree that this is a bad fight for KK, because she just will not be able to keep Jessica from moving forward and bringing the pain. KK has a good clinch game, but Andrade is just so damn strong I doubt it will matter.

Jodie was hella undersized. Maybe a fight vs. Moyle?

Yeah. Her reach disadvantage was obvious and difficult for her to overcome.

We need to get Thirdpres some more likes. Sure they mean somewhere between shit and fuck-all, but he is easily one of the best poster's on the board.

Agree that this is a bad fight for KK, because she just will not be able to keep Jessica from moving forward and bringing the pain. KK has a good clinch game, but Andrade is just so damn strong I doubt it will matter.

I'm guessing KK would just circle all night. As good as Andrade is, she will follow girls around. I really do think KK could use a stick and move plan, similar to what Hill did, but better. Whether it would be enough to beat Andrade? I don't know. Andrade would and should be the favorite.

I feel like the UFC will book KK vs Grasso because they like to torture me.

I'm guessing KK would just circle all night. As good as Andrade is, she will follow girls around. I really do think KK could use a stick and move plan, similar to what Hill did, but better. Whether it would be enough to beat Andrade? I don't know. Andrade would and should be the favorite.

I like KK, but I do not like her chances in this fight.

I feel like the UFC will book KK vs Grasso because they like to torture me.

Now that you have said it, I hope it happens. KK should definitely take that one, so I doubt they will book it. Methinks they would like Grasso to have a few more ticks in the win column.

Except for Liz McCarthy & Jinh Yu Frey every
fight that Jodie Esquibel has been in she has
given up height & weight to most all of the girls
she has faced.

I left out Julaton because everyone already knew she was terrible. The only people dumb enough to make a big deal about signing her now would be Bellator. Amanda Serrano is my girl mostly because she is from a few blocks from me. I will still call her out if she sucks though.

I understand life is hard as a female boxer but one thing they don't understand is that MMA is not the sport to dabble in. If you are not dedicated/serious about it you will get hurt badly. Serrano said she will continue to box. In my head I already have red flags going off. I will still hold judgement to see how she does but MMA has too many ways to lose and she is starting way to late for her to not have full focus on working on her weaknesses.

Agree with that. I feel sorry for them that they have to come to MMA to get paid. It's not going to end well for most of them.

I was also taken aback by Ladd's screaming. She is usually so stoic during her fights. Agreed on the stoppage being early but that is okay. Lansberg wasn't getting out from under Ladd where Eubanks was similarly controlled after Ladd's takedown during their fight.*

All good matchups.

Despite this setback I still enjoy Lansberg and want to see her fight more. I had a feeling she was going to have trouble with Ladd's takedown and top control. Interesting to hear, after the fight, Ladd's comments about wanting to test her striking and clinching against Lansberg and paying attention to her corner and the actual game plan for this fight in between rounds 1 and 2 and then executing that plan.

*Barring an accident or something similarly stupid. Some level of unpredictability in MMA is a good thing but stupid accidents aren't in my opinion.

--
I wrote this up a few days ago in a thread about who should fight Nunes next. Just something that I thought would be useful. I might have missed something when I was putting it together. Always helps with getting matchups to have everybody, and hopefully, their plans laid out when thinking up matchups to make.

UFC Women's Bantamweight Division

(It wouldn't surprise me if I am missing something.)

I wrote this up to amuse myself when reading the thread and thinking of matchups. I hope people enjoy.

Amanda Nunes (15-4-0) BR (US) (Recently defended title (September).)

Raquel Pennington (9-6-0) US (4 fight streak) Probably the best choice at the moment to challenge Nunes for the UFC Women's Bantamweight Title. (November 2016 last fight)

Ketlen Vieira (9-0-0) BR (Undefeated with 3 wins in the UFC, including a finish of McMann in her last fight. Recent fight)

Germaine de Randamie (7-3-0) NL (2/3 fight streak, Featherweight title back in Feb.)

Marion Reneau (8-3-1) US (2 with 1 draw in last three fights, recent fight)

Leslie Smith (10-7-1) US (2 fight streak, or 3-1 with loss to Cyborg)

Lina Lansberg (7-2-0) SE (1 fight streak and set to fight Aspen Ladd)

Sarah Moras (5-2-0) CA (1 fight streak, recent fight)

Coming off a loss:

Sara McMann (11-4-0) US (September - 5-4 in the UFC)

Bethe Correia (10-3-1) BR (June - 4-3-1 in the UFC)

Irene Aldana (7-4-0) MX (April - 0-2 in UFC)

Amanda Lemos (6-1-1) BR (July - 0-1 in UFC)

Veronica Macedo (5-1-1) VE (September 2016 - injuries - 0-1 in the UFC)

Talita Bernardo (5-2-0) BR (September - 0-1 in the UFC)

Ashlee Evans-Smith (5-3-0) US (September - 2-3 in the UFC)

Gina Mazany (4-1-0) US (Febuary - 0-1 in the UFC - set to fight Yanan Wu)

Yet to debut in UFC or at Bantamweight:

Tonya Evinger (19-7-0, 1NC) US

Aspen Ladd (5-0-0) US (Set to fight Lina Lansberg)

Yanan Wu (9-1-0) CN (Set to fight Gina Mazany)

Lauren Mueller (4-0-0) US

Inactive for some reason or another:

Julianna Pena (9-3-0) US (January - 3-1 in the UFC and off a loss)

--

Negotiations:

Holly Holm (11-3-0) US (Possible fight with Cyborg in the making.)

Cat Zingano (9-2-0) US Potential fights developing as she starts getting ready for her re-entry to MMA.

--

Moving to flyweight (Confirmed or recovering from injury either way):

Liz Carmouche (10-5-0) US vs. Alexis Davis (18-7-0) CA (US)

Katlyn Chookagian (9-1-0) US (Nursing an injury and may drop down to flyweight, vague talk)

Jessica Eye (11-6-0, 1NC) US (Had a fight scrapped with VanZant at flyweight)

Lucie Pudilova (7-2-0) CZ (Has talked about dropping down to flyweight (edit) I have also seen her talking about being interested in Smith or Correia so ...)

Valentina Shevchenko (14-3-0) PE (Talking of the cut and plans for flyweight)

Ji Yeon Kim (6-1-2) KR vs. Justine Kish (6-1-0) US (Moving down and up to flyweight)

Last edited:
We need to get Thirdpres some more likes. Sure they mean somewhere between shit and fuck-all, but he is easily one of the best poster's on the board.

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

--
I'm not too keen on Karolina Kowalkiewicz chances against Jessica Andrade either. Alexa Grasso is the better fight for her.

Jessica Andrade could use someone to fight though. I haven't been thinking enough on that topic even though it was on my mind briefly a week ago, or so.

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

--
I'm not too keen on Karolina Kowalkiewicz chances against Jessica Andrade either. Alexa Grasso is the better fight for her.

Jessica Andrade could use someone to fight though. I haven't been thinking enough on that topic even though it was on my mind briefly a week ago, or so.
Andrade just fought a month ago. No rush to match her up so soon.

Andrade just fought a month ago. No rush to match her up so soon.

I know but I am thinking of who might fit the bill down the line. There are a good number of matches coming up that will probably determine who she fights. Some seem like they would be okay but also mismatches too.

Waterson vs. Torres, winner faces Jessica Andrade. Huge size disparity there and might not be the fight the UFC wants to do even if the rankings make sense for it.

Markos is fairly far down and is coming off a loss.

If Grasso is to fight Karolina Kowalkiewicz as speculated that might be an okay matchup.

Viviane Pereira vs Tatiana Suarez. Seems a little early for Suarez and Peraira only has one fight (Edit - two fights) in the UFC. Not really high enough in the ranks.

Felice Herrig vs Coutney Casey, winner faces Andrade is a little bit better. Not quite the size disparity. And it allows an out for Cynthia Calvillo to avoid Andrade if she defeats Esparza due to timing. It would make some sense for Herrig or Casey to get that fight.

Going with the winner of Herrig vs Casey allows the UFC protects the people they want to get title shots without them facing Andrade and having losers or up and comers to fight Gadelha on the other hand.

Just having fun speculating of course.

Last edited:
Solid, confident performance from Karolina in Poland. I was surprised to hear her call out Jessica Andrade. That's a scary opponent. I'd like to see her fight someone else first. For example the winner of Tecia vs. Michelle.

Solid, confident performance from Karolina in Poland. I was surprised to hear her call out Jessica Andrade. That's a scary opponent. I'd like to see her fight someone else first. For example the winner of Tecia vs. Michelle.

Rankings wise I think that makes the most sense. I just am left thinking the UFC doesn't want it. I'd be curious about Torres' or Waterson's thoughts on that matter.

Takes guts to for Karolina Kowalkiewicz to call out Andrade. No doubt.

Rankings wise I think that makes the most sense. I just am left thinking the UFC doesn't want it. I'd be curious about Torres' or Waterson's thoughts on that matter.

Takes guts to for Karolina Kowalkiewicz to call out Andrade. No doubt.

It's fun speculating potential matchups. Many possibilities shake out with each fight & we've got some exciting ones before the year is over. I can understand why most fighters don't look past their current opponent. Every fight presents unique challenges. Not only skills versus skills, but mental & physical ones as well.

I know but I am thinking of who might fit the bill down the line. There are a good number of matches coming up that will probably determine who she fights. Some seem like they would be okay but also mismatches too.

Waterson vs. Torres, winner faces Jessica Andrade. Huge size disparity there and might not be the fight the UFC wants to do even if the rankings make sense for it.

Markos is fairly far down and is coming off a loss.

If Grasso is to fight Karolina Kowalkiewicz as speculated that might be an okay matchup.

Viviane Pereira vs Tatiana Suarez. Seems a little early for Suarez and Peraira only has one fight in the UFC. Not really high enough in the ranks.

Felice Herrig vs Coutney Casey, winner faces Andrade is a little bit better. Not quite the size disparity. And it allows an out for Cynthia Calvillo to avoid Andrade if she defeats Esparza due to timing. It would make some sense for Herrig or Casey to get that fight.

Going with the winner of Herrig vs Casey allows the UFC protects the people they want to get title shots without them facing Andrade and having losers or up and comers to fight Gadelha on the other hand.

Just having fun speculating of course.

The obvious match for Andrade is either Rose if she loses to JJ (probable), or Karolina.

The obvious match for Andrade is either Rose if she loses to JJ (probable), or Karolina.

The idea put forward in the original post is not having Karolina taking that fight. So she is out by the nature of the discussion. I have mixed feelings about Rose Namajunas fighting Jessica Andrade, assuming she loses to Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

Rose off of a loss against Andrade. Hrm. Not keen on that one. I usually don't like seeing someone coming off a loss, even to the champ, fighting someone coming off a win against the former number 2 in an org.

(Edit: Giving Rose Namajunas to Andrede after losing to the champ would giving Jodie Esquibel to Karolina Kowalkiewicz would be pretty biased and not in character with what the UFC does with fighters they are interested in promoting. True Namajunas isn't going along with the "looks" that the UFC might want but she cuts a decent figure as champ over some other potential choices out there.)

(Power Outage and DNS down for a while.)

(Edit continued)I was also thinking of how Gadelha vs. Andrade had Gadelha calling for the next title shot after she felt she would win that fight, something the UFC wasn't interested in from what I recall. (I admit my memory could be off for several reasons tonight.) I'd doubt the UFC would be interested in repeating the situation with Andrade.(Edit End)

And Andrade would be looking more like someone deserving of another title shot while the UFC probably doesn't see an upside to having Andrade get another title shot so soon.

Still fun fights though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back