Official Women's Division Discussion #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see Bellator pick up some new 145'ers (Casanova), for some reason, Olga Rubin vs. Iren Racz is at FW, I dunno why because they used to fight at 125... maybe an error?

145 is the higher weight Iren has fought at. It is closer to her walk around weight from what I understand. They don't always cut much weight in Europe as they do in the States.

Many European fighters have a history of jumping between 145 to 135 and down to 125 at different points in time. Recent UFC signee and, brief, Invicta alumni, Mara Romero Borella fits this mold as an example, her opponent in Invicta, Milana Dudieva, followed a similar path.

Heck. When Lauren Murphy fought in Alaska she was a featherweight too.

All are on the bigger side for being a flyweight in my opinion.

(Edit)

Agreed on Bellator picking up new featherweight talent. I had similar thoughts when I first saw the fight info a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
If people in the heavies think Nunes is annoying, wait until they hear Livinha.

Fortunately, she won't have much of a platform for running her mouth (aside from social media) as I don't imagine she would ever be a champion in UFC. Nonetheless, I think she will be a good addition to the division as long as she keeps up her fighting-to-finish style. Guaranteed action.

Fortunately, she won't have much of a platform for running her mouth (aside from social media) as I don't imagine she would ever be a champion in UFC. Nonetheless, I think she will be a good addition to the division as long as she keeps up her fighting-to-finish style. Guaranteed action.
All she has to do is win once, get interviewed, and the threads will appear.

edit: With her signing, Invicta's 115 is now looking like Terry Schiavo: an empty husk.

All she has to do is win once, get interviewed, and the threads will appear.

edit: With her signing, Invicta's 115 is now looking like Terry Schiavo: an empty husk.

Perhaps the occasional interview, but I can't imagine UFC would use Souza as a promotional platform. I'm confident that Invicta's SW division will rebound. IFC has ALWAYS put together great matches and cards. I've never been hung up on belts and skill level, so I have no doubt that the SW division will still have plenty of excitement without Souza.

Interesting. I don't know what to make of it. Hopefully it brings out the violence.

Great win for Kristina Williams tonight at Bellator. Entertaining fight.

headkick43.gif

Last edited:
Williams looked great. Really mean. That's a career altering beating for Hardy. Her nose is fucked. MMA is no joke. It might make some girls think again about crossing over.

I know next to nothing about female boxing but I really expected to see better boxing from Heather in her 2 fights. I don't mind her losing because MMA is way different from boxing but to be honest she did not look like a 20 - 0 professional boxer at all. I was expecting to see boxing technique resembling Joanna. Now I have to question how good were her boxing opponents. What are the talent levels in female boxing?

I know next to nothing about female boxing but I really expected to see better boxing from Heather in her 2 fights. I don't mind her losing because MMA is way different from boxing but to be honest she did not look like a 20 - 0 professional boxer at all. I was expecting to see boxing technique resembling Joanna. Now I have to question how good were her boxing opponents. What are the talent levels in female boxing?

I don't watch much Boxing at all any more. Reading what I have about her she's never been good, just really tough. There's maybe a reason why she isn't a big draw in Boxing. She looks great, likable personalty and a hard story. Ana Julaton was also awful. The women in MMA seem so much more advanced technically at the higher level. Younger too.

Amanda Serrano is the next one to try it. Let's see.

I don't watch much Boxing at all any more. Reading what I have about her she's never been good, just really tough. There's maybe a reason why she isn't a big draw in Boxing. She looks great, likable personalty and a hard story. Ana Julaton was also awful. The women in MMA seem so much more advanced technically at the higher level. Younger too.

Women's boxing often does not have much to offer in terms of competition.

Olga Rubin has only fought as low as 140 iirc. Tapology says Racz has fought at 125, but it says that Casanova has well. Seems like they’ve both been brought in as easy fights for Rubin/Kavanagh when you factor in their former weight classes and their records.
Ah. Right. I was just wondering because both had fought under the RXF banner (or were going to fight - Rubin got injured before her fight with Belbita) at 125, thanks for the clear up.

Also about time Livinha got signed!!

I hope they mostly book Souza against that injured girl who won TUF, or Esparza. That is the unholy trinity for me in the 115lbs division, so if they only fight eachother, I don't have to suffer :D

I left out Julaton because everyone already knew she was terrible. The only people dumb enough to make a big deal about signing her now would be Bellator. Amanda Serrano is my girl mostly because she is from a few blocks from me. I will still call her out if she sucks though.

I understand life is hard as a female boxer but one thing they don't understand is that MMA is not the sport to dabble in. If you are not dedicated/serious about it you will get hurt badly. Serrano said she will continue to box. In my head I already have red flags going off. I will still hold judgement to see how she does but MMA has too many ways to lose and she is starting way to late for her to not have full focus on working on her weaknesses.

Very impressed with Kristina Williams' performance. Stone cold killer. Look forward to seeing her next fight.

--
Brief comment. There's all kinds of ways to be good in boxing, different techniques, etc. People use what they have. From what little I have seen of Hardy she likes to stay close to her opponents and throw hard working from the body to the head. In boxing with its big gloves that can work but with MMA people have other tools that can make that a more complicated endeavor. (And I mean "good" as being effective in the ring, not so much being smooth, good everywhere, etc.)

Williams' first really big blow against Hardy, in my opinion, was the standing elbows she threw. Those blows messed Hardy's plans up, shook her up, and left her a little more tentative after getting caught by them. Getting in the pocket and throwing hard just wasn't in the cards in this fight the way she is used to in boxing. And seeing Hardy ducking down before exploding with work in range in several of her boxing matches - where she was crunched in this fight.

Then there were the kicks. Williams was very accurate at distance and already enjoying a reach advantage with her arms. Really kept Hardy's head movement and angles from working as well as she is used to.

When I was researching Williams prior to this fight I was impressed with what I was seeing and, sort of, thought she would actually be a good test of Hardy. I was also left wondering if Hardy ought to be fighting Ana Julation and Blaine vs. Williams.

I'd already seen enough of Julation to know she isn't very good in MMA unless a magical transformation had occurred with her over the past few years. Blaine's record just isn't good. I felt their fight would be 50/50 going either way and probably not a fight that ought to be on the main card to be honest.

Then I was thinking of Bellator wanting to build up a rivalry between Julation and Hardy. And I was thinking of having the women fighting closer to their talents for more competitive fights, that is something I like. In my opinion either Williams or Hardy would have beaten Blaine or Julation.

(Edit)

For those interested: Joe Rogan and Brendan Schaub talk about the Heather Hardy vs. Kristina Williams Bellator fight

(A bit choppy though.)

--
Looking forward to the fights this morning.

Last edited:
"Scary" Kerri Kenneson has signed with Invicta FC. 2-0 pro, went 4-1 as an amateur.

And we have a winner by GnP in the second round. Stoppage was early but it is okay. Lansberg wasn't getting out of that situation.

Ladd speaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back