OFFICIAL (Sanctioned) Thurman/Garcia PBP Thread

Does the FACT that every single person in this entire thread is fine with the decision even though MANY of them were pulling for Garcia not tell you how utterly ridiculous you are acting?

Even @Seano who had it scored for Danny isn't bothered by it going the other way because it was that kind of fight.

Even in the post fight interview when Jim Gray asked Danny why he was unwilling to engage for so many rounds Danny didn't say I couldn't do anything because he was running. He said THURMAN WANTED TO COUNTERPUNCH SO I DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE HIM THE CHANCE which is basically the story of the fight.

Yes Thurman coasted stupidly for the last few rounds but all those middle rounds he circled and threw pot shots while Danny did almost nothing. Plus in the first round Danny got fucking rocked. Stunned in round three as well. It's not rocket science.

You've made it perfectly clear you are not a boxing fan, just a Danny Garcia fan.
It was pretty strange to watch Thurman run around the ring those lost 3 rounds and still see some people gave him those rounds. Some people here had Thurman winning 10 rounds. I don't see that. Personally, I felt like Cheese's comparison of Oscar vs Tito was pretty close. I felt like Thurman threw away that fight in the last half.

That said, the judges were clearly favoring the flash and I think Thurman's underserved rep as a huge puncher may have swayed the judges a bit. I think he was winning rounds on the Lederman, "biggest whack of the round" style judging. I guess its a legit way to win a fight, just not a judging style I respect.

Split decision was about right I guess. I would have been more satisfied with draw.

I asked you what rounds DSG won by slipping rolling and countering. you said 4-9.

So you yourself in this thread have Garcia winning anywhere from 7, 8, to 9 rounds. Thats a margin of era of 3 rounds. You should see that now. Then graciously apply that same margin of era to anyone who scored it for Thurman. That means its not a robbery and very debatable.
My guess, seeing as he made a Tito comparison, is that he doesn't respect Thurman for running like he did in the last few rounds.

It was pretty strange to watch Thurman run around the ring those lost 3 rounds and still see some people gave him those rounds. Some people here had Thurman winning 10 rounds. I don't see that. Personally, I felt like Cheese's comparison of Oscar vs Tito was pretty close. I felt like Thurman threw away that fight in the last half.

That said, the judges were clearly favoring the flash and I think Thurman's underserved rep as a huge puncher may have swayed the judges a bit. I think he was winning rounds on the Lederman, "biggest whack of the round" style judging. I guess its a legit way to win a fight, just not a judging style I respect.

Split decision was about right I guess. I would have been more satisfied with draw.

I had Thurman winning but if he lost on the cards he would have deserved it for those 3 rounds of nonsense. Especially considering he was in Garcia's backyard.

I was disappointed in how Thurman fought for a few reasons. First because when he actually threw heat in the first 3 rounds Garcia was getting hurt and it looked like a knockdown or knockout was coming. So why the fuck switch it up and try to win rounds instead of winning the fight? Secondly even the lateral boxing was alright but then he switched it up again and fought a few rounds like they were the last 20 seconds of a fight when you know you're up 12-0 which was just stupid.

I was even more disappointed in Garcia though. His punch output was a joke. Once Thurman started circling Garcia had nothing for him. As though he can't throw a punch first and only knows how to counter. Several rounds were spent just plodding around while Thurman was in range to be hit but Danny refused to go first. No urgency or desperation at all. Even his shitbag father was giving him good advice about attacking first and going body then head but Danny was just throwing one shot with no follow up. Maybe getting hurt early scared him but I have no idea. It was his fight to make but he didn't ever go for it the way he should have. Probably took on too many sub-par opponents in a row to get ready for someone who could hurt him and out box him.

It wasn't the fight I was expecting but I think the right guy won even though I was a little unsatisfied at the end. It was tense as shit though for the first 8 rounds. Felt like something big was going to happen even though it never did.

By the way, I am more of a Garcia fan but he's not blameless in this loss. There were a couple of rounds around the 5th round where he did next to nothing.

By the way, I am more of a Garcia fan but he's not blameless in this loss. There were a couple of rounds around the 5th round where he did next to nothing.

Good point. Many are justifiably criticizing Thurman for coasting the last few rounds but almost no one is mentioning Garcia doing next to shit even when Thurman decided to put on his track shoes. Regardless Thurman won an unimpressive decision over a less impressive opponent.

Thurman stuck to a game plan and adjusted when he was up on the cards. It seemed Garcia relied on one game plan, going after the body/countering. It's difficult to tell if Garcia was thrown off by receiving some early cracks from Thurman. He showed zero intent for the majority of the fight.

I pretty much have been saying both looked like crap. I think Thurman won it, just like the majority thought Oscar won that fight. But this was a minor league version of that fight. Both opperate a few levels below Oscar and Tito, and it really showed. Thurman didn't like like Oscar did, but Danny didn't press like Tito dide. The honestly ran into each other, smoldering their offesnive 50% of the exchanges.

This bout went pretty much exactly as I expected. I had a strong feeling that it would be a fairly close bout and potentially a split decision, so that's why I bet Garcia at +200, but also hedged my plays with the over 10½ rounds, Garcia +5½ points and bet both Garcia and Thurman by split decision props to hedge my play.

I pretty much have been saying both looked like crap. I think Thurman won it, just like the majority thought Oscar won that fight. But this was a minor league version of that fight. Both opperate a few levels below Oscar and Tito, and it really showed. Thurman didn't like like Oscar did, but Danny didn't press like Tito dide. The honestly ran into each other, smoldering their offesnive 50% of the exchanges.

There was zero inside game except for one moment in like the 11th or 12th Garcia unloaded. Once they came together they would just wait for the ref to break. Which was crazy from Garcia who was struggling to find him.

It was a good fight. I'd like to see them do it again.

It was a good fight. I'd like to see them do it again.
I'm not sure if I want to see an immediate rematch. I was a little disappointed that both fighters seemed to be sort of afraid of each other. I'd like to see Garcia vs Porter after Porter beats Berto.

I'm not sure if I want to see an immediate rematch. I was a little disappointed that both fighters seemed to be sort of afraid of each other. I'd like to see Garcia vs Porter after Porter beats Berto.

Plenty of good match ups at welter, but I would watch them do it again. They might both be more aggressive.

Back