Official Judo Thread

This is true - lots of different randori partners are needed. Go together with other clubs and arrange special randori sessions once a week or show up for the best randori in other clubs if possible.

True, and great advice. I bet the various judo clubs/schools don't get along for one reason or the other, though.

Here is as good of a place as any:

What do you guys think about Kayla Harrison announcing that she'll join WSOF? Do you think it's a serious move?

Here is as good of a place as any:

What do you guys think about Kayla Harrison announcing that she'll join WSOF? Do you think it's a serious move?

I think it is serious, and I think she'll wreck shop. The weight class is the only question. Looking forward to the inevitable Harrison v. Gabi matchup.

I hope she boxes better than Ronda, and if not realizes she isn't a boxer.

Glad for Kayla though. Bout time she made some money.

It'll be good to see.

Now, if only the Judo administrative apparatchiks would take this opportunity to promote judo as a great base for mma, vs whine about judoka daring to attempt another sport

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/...ks-up-another-MMA-win-with-unanimous-decision 67kg / 148lb woman from my area I believe after cutting.

hqdefault.jpg
Two under 80kg ammy's. Recruit opponents for Kayla from New Zealand we have big girls for her! Especially Polynesians!

And Gase another woman from my area and her opponent are low 80's kg as well I believe.

It'll be good to see.

Now, if only the Judo administrative apparatchiks would take this opportunity to promote judo as a great base for mma, vs whine about judoka daring to attempt another sport

Yeah, it's disappointing to say the least with all of the constant smack the IJF has talked about MMA. It's one thing if they don't want to lose top athletes to MMA, but they should at least be using it as a way to try and increase participation in judo.

IJF is a horrible organization. it reminds me of the NRA, in that it sounds like a good idea on paper but in practice is full of a bunch of fundamentalist lunatics with an agenda scaring off everyone who doesn't drink as much kool-aid. unlike the NRA, however, it hasn't been able to monetize its product beyond the existing pyramid scheme or develop a viable business strategy for the 21st century that doesn't rely on their monopoly and outright bribery. USA Judo ain't much better.

Google things about the perks Olympic committee members from all sorts of countries lavished upon themselves and others in Rio. People were bunking up in condos with exposed wiring while bigwigs were getting $1000 daily stipends.

THEN the motherfuckers wanna keep changing the rules to appeal to a non-existent TV audience. i'm not saying the rules aren't much better than they were five years ago, but again, I don't think the rules of Judo should change because of fucking television.

Judo has, can, and will continue to exist and thrive without a worldwide TV audience. Things don't have to be a load of for-profit grabass bullshit, and especially Judo.

and yeah, not saying the best and brightest in the sport should have to (continue to) live like paupers (especially in the US) but if you're in Judo to get rich and you're not named Teddy Riner, it's not happening.

a lot of people have a 'win' mentality at practice instead of a 'learn' mentality. and i don't mean like 'get after it' i mean 'don't even attempt to cooperate.'

fuuuuck that, god forbid you just show up to judo and let people throw you right?

but this is why we have osotogari. if they can't learn to cooperate, they must be taught to cooperate.

Pain is the best teacher but nobody likes his class.

Judo is Pain.

RJ is quotable as shit on this page.

So I have finally been able to go back to judo. The club now is focused on freestyle judo so I can do leg grabs for the first time since I have been doing judo. With that said I have noticed that I still don't touch the legs too often other than maybe a kouchi gari where you wrap the leg and don't have any real issues defending them. The instructor is a past wrestler so I get to learn more wrestling as well.

I'll never forget the day those rules went through. The pedants immediately started insisting we stop *practicing* leg grabs altogether, and here I thought I was paying for 'Judo' the art instead of 'Judo' the sport.

Not that there should be a difference.

So I say to sensei "...so we're just done with leg grabs eh? No more kouchi makikomi? No more Te Guruma?"

and HE says "No....we still do Judo here."

#hespect

How do you guys stay motivated to train Judo considering all the bullshit that goes along with it?

Everything has bullshit. It's irritating, but judo is worth it.

How do you guys stay motivated to train Judo considering all the bullshit that goes along with it?

find a group of people who will push you to your limits, emasculate you when you lose, and go have a beer with you afterwards.

i'm not in it to compete with other people, i'm in it to compete with myself. i'm in it to kill the quitter inside me. i'm in it to be the best version of myself. my wins and losses are mine. i own them. i own every arm i didn't bar and every match i didn't win. i own every day, week, and month I skipped practice.

i'm past my prime now. i was never olympic-good. and you know what? i gave up on myself. i let myself wallow in the self-loathing and frustration of circumstances and tried to externalize that shit as 'out of my control'.

Well,

Fuck. That.

You know who i need to be better than? The person I was yesterday. That's all. That's the guy to beat. That's the motivation.

Accomplishment is 95% proper training, 5% execution.

If I'm not the best I can possibly be, that's on me. That's a misalignment of my desires and priorities.

I refuse to keep doing that to myself. So I train.

That's why it's so popular in the USA...

Naw, Americans are fine with pain. We have one of the most brutal wrestling cultures, our favorite national sport is football which is really, really grueling.

Judo isn't popular in the US because the organizational structure is so bad and the overall level of coaching is so low that it's really hard to get involved with a good club (because there aren't many). You have to work so hard in the US just to get quality instruction and training, and even if you do care enough to do that you're going to spend all your time going to tournaments that are mostly poorly run, and god forbid you have success and get good because then you'll have to fight against the national governing body (assuming you're affiliated with the right people and even have a chance to ask) to get funding to ever compete at a higher level. Most likely you'll just be poor and no one will know who you are or what you've done unless you happen to win an Olympic medal, in which case a small community of grapplers will remember you for at least a few months which will be worth ~$0 to you. Oh, and in the US no one is willing to pay much for Judo instruction so good luck making a career out of your main life skill after your competitive career is over. The only 'sport' I know of that is popular and lucrative in the US that lacks organization at the scholastic level is racing. As in, NASCAR. All the other Olympic sports are either super niche sports (in America) like badminton or weightlifting where we get crushed by nations with state sponsorship, or vanity sports like Equestrian that are the province of the very rich who can afford to compete in the rarefied air of hobbies that require a horse. I would largely lump a lot of the winter sports into that category as well, though we have traditionally done quite well in some like figure skating even though they aren't heavily state sponsored.

she always have fetish wrestling to fall back on
*presented without sarcasm*

dude your troll game has been on point lately. i love reading sentences that make me feel like i need to take a shower.

This is kind of old news, but Michihiro Omigawa had a slick tomoe nage at the last Ganryujima event.

For those who don't know, Ganryujima is a JMMA (who else would do such a thing?) tournament, where they have people wear gis and fight on a raised platform. You can throw people out of the ring for points. I wish there were more gi MMA matches, as it would encourage more judo throws in them.

I was reminded of this because I was working on tomoe nage in class last week. It's such a satisfying throw to hit on people.

easily the most fun throw to do to people. and my first win!

Hey guys and girls,

Hope you dont mind me picking your brains.

Ive got the possibility of having regular contact with Miklos Ungvari. Ive got my own background on this guy, but i was after some deeper insight from maybe some judoka familiar with his style, throws, history. Maybe anyone that likes or dislikes his style or approach to Judo.

Thank you, in anticipation of your insight.
Kind regards
Dave

Back