Official JMMA Discussion Thread Vol. 3 ~VEE-TEE-JAY~ | Page 57

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Edwin, Feb 17, 2014.

1. kelestian White Belt

kelestian
    What happened with Japanese WMMA? 6 years ago there were a lot of japanese ladies in international ratings, but now i can remember only Hamasaki between top-fighters

2. Asurah Tang Tang Tang

Asurah
    There were a few years where not much was going on. Legends like Shinashi, Hisae, and Miku had early retirements and few fighters were coming up to replace them. A big thing was money, most DEEP JEWELS fighters only make a couple hundred dollars a fight and fighting in Invicta isn't worth it monetarily unless you are a main event fighter. UFC never really showed interest in signing female Japanese fighters and seems to be giving up on Japan as a whole. This led to fewer crossovers from other combat sports.

Now with larger pocket promotions like RIZIN and nearby international promotions like ROAD, along with more regional promotions like Pancrase taking a larger interest, we are starting to see more crossover talent again. Mizuki, Rin, and Hamasaki have been ranked fighters for awhile now. Yukari Yamaguchi is supposed to be the next big thing but has missed the last year with injuries, she has a kickboxing bout coming up soon. Syuri is looking strong against international competition in Pancrase and is campaigning to get a UFC vet next. Kanako Murata has looked great considering she only started MMA training about a year and a half ago, just ran into a roadblock against the larger and much more experienced Rin. King Reina looks to be the first legit upper weight Japanese prospect in ages. RENA seems to be taking MMA seriously and has looked well rounded.

I think we will start to see another boom in JWMMA talent soon if things continue the way they are going.

3. leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver

leto1776
    I would say a combination of factors.

-a lot of the scene's Japanese "stars" retired.Miku, Tsuji, Shinashi, Watanabe, all retired around the same time. Shinashi and Watanabe have returned, but fighting infrequently and not against top competition.
    -The death of Smackgirl. When Smackgirl folded, you had the fighters split between Valkyrie and Jewels, with a smattering in other promotions like Deep. Some say competitive organizations is good, but not when it's such a small niche that divides people's attention. Valkyrie didn't last long.
    -The rise of the women's scene in the West, namely North America. When WMMA was on the fringe of the sport in the U.S, many American and other western fighters went to Japan to fight, because they knew fights were available there. Now, it's the opposite. WMMA is the hottest growing thing in the sport in North America. There are women in the UFC, and a women only promotion with Invicta. The focus has shifted, and there's less incentive to travel outside the States.
    -Except for a sparse few, the Japanese fighters, both male and female, seem either content to stay on their islands, or just aren't as willing to leave their comfort zone.

GoForkYourself and Asurah like this.
  4. Asurah Tang Tang Tang

Asurah
    Sarami vs Tomo Maesawa II announced for DEEP JEWELS 16 on May 20th

Sarami won their first meeting back in 2015 and has continually improved since then with the start of her training under Kitaoka. Maesawa picked up the biggest win of her career last time out by submitting former champ Emi Tomimatsu.

5. Asurah Tang Tang Tang

Asurah
    Kanako Murata continues her promotion hopping and is fighting Claire Fryer at Pancrase 286

tinobar likes this.
  6. DanTheWolfman.com Brown Belt

DanTheWolfman.com
    from what I have seen in the gym, Rena is taking things seriously

And rolling w King Reina I am very impressed and hope she can go far

Is Hamasaki fighting in Invicta this week?

Asurah likes this.
  7. Asurah Tang Tang Tang

Asurah
    Next weekend, the 25th

A few fights added to Ganryujima's next event
    Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs Kuntap (Weerasakreck I assume)
    Katsunori Kikuno vs Jimmy Ambriz
    Omigawa vs TBA
    Shrek Sekine vs Baru Harn
    Nobutatsu Suzuki vs Lelo Aurelio

Looking like a very fun event

8. GoForkYourself My Neighbor Momoro

GoForkYourself
    sick lineup from ganryujima.

kikuno vs. ambriz... wowow.

kill the virgin, CDF47 and Asurah like this.
  9. kingcillo24 Brown Belt

kingcillo24
    Best Ganryujima yet. It seems like they are getting away from the traditional martial artists and going with people with MMA backgrounds.

I find it hilarious that Sekine is there after main eventing for the title against Brandon Vera in One Championship. It really says a lot about that organization.

CDF47 and Asurah like this.
  10. DanTheWolfman.com Brown Belt

DanTheWolfman.com
    Shrek when he fights MMA is like 260 lbs of bane juice....

And Ambriz is even bigger and fighting Kikuno?

11. kingcillo24 Brown Belt

kingcillo24
    Does Deep usually use a cage or do they go back and forth with the cage?

Anyways, Imanari
    won by rolling leglock
    last night at Deep 78 Impact. Does anybody know the other results?

Asurah and CDF47 like this.
  12. Asurah Tang Tang Tang

Asurah
    They have always separated cage events as Cage Impact, normally uses a ring for other shows. I haven't really looked at the results but I know Naoki Inoue also won, 10-0 now. Hiroto Uesako also beat Guy Delumeau.

Kota Shimoishi beat Yuki Okano and Kimihiro Eto last night to become DEEP's rep in the ROAD FC $1 million tournament.

kingcillo24 and leto1776 like this.
  13. Asurah Tang Tang Tang

Asurah
    Full results for DEEP 78 Impact, just hover over the picture or click it and look at the address bars to get the Romanized names.

14. KarlPG White Belt

KarlPG
    Are Deep shows available to view online (and any other JMMA for that matter)? Do they have a streaming service?

15. Edwin Te voy a pegar una piña, pelotudo.

Edwin
    Yes. From the previous page in this thread:

16. KarlPG White Belt

KarlPG
    Thanks...well, dont I feel like the dumbest of dumbasses!

17. Asurah Tang Tang Tang

Asurah
    Shooto is streaming on AbemaTV right now, not sure why it isn't on Fight Pass
    https://abema.tv/now-on-air/fighting-sports

Big prospect fight between Hayato Ishii and Takumi Tamaru, former King of Pancrase Kiyotaka Shimizu, and a Pacific Rim title fight between Shoko Sato and Keita Ishibashi

leto1776 likes this.
  18. Asurah Tang Tang Tang

Asurah
    The title fight and Ishii vs Tamaru both ended in majority draws. Shimizu won by KO. I had to leave midway through the event but it was pretty good from what I saw.

Grachan still needs 35 more subscribers before starting live streams
    https://www.youtube.com/c/TheGRACHAN

Fights for their May card are being announced
    FW Title Fight - Shigeki Osawa vs Yohei Sakamoto
    BW Title Fight - Fumiya Sasaki vs Tomohiko Hori
    Shuhei Higashi vs Yoji Saito
    Toru Harai vs Takahiro Kato
    Junichi Hirata vs Rider HIRO
    Akihito Mamiya vs Kuya Ito
    Arata Ueki vs Yushin Nakajima

CDF47 and tinobar like this.
  19. Asurah Tang Tang Tang

Asurah
    I have been trying the DEEP streaming/VOD service, definitely worth checking out a subscription at least once. They have pretty much every Impact and Cage Impact card from April of last year on, the 2014 NYE DEEP DREAM event, every DEEP JEWELS event, and a 50 fight package of classic fights. I haven't gotten to try a live stream yet but I have heard that it's very smooth. They also have some rare stuff that usually never surfaces such as Future King Tournament events.

Also just a heads up but I am the new JMMA contributor at Tapology. Feel free to shoot me a message if you notice anything incorrect or if you have events/fights/fighters/etc not in the database.

20. Asurah Tang Tang Tang

Asurah
    Looks like it's official that the UFC didn't sign Hiromasa Ogikubo after TUF, he's fighting Danny Martinez in Shooto next month. UFC really dropped the ball by only signing 2 or 3 guys from the Flyweight TUF and not even getting the runner up who ended up being one of the fan favorites by the end of the show.

At least RIZIN will likely get another big addition to their already very solid Flyweight division.