Multiplatform Official Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty Discussion

Will the PL expansion prove a do-over for the title after widely maligned launch?

• Total voters
The games I can think of that kneecap you with level scaling tether how much or little to difficulty instead of standard fare HP inflation and DMG give/receive tinkering. Not the case here? And no option in settings to turn off?

Scaling undermines power fantasy. Such a buzzkill.

Yeah man, I went in for a few minutes and goofed off with my old, obsolete character. Skill trees look fascinating and I didn't build right because my netrunner gear was borderline useless still. Driving is much better, tighter and more responsive, and it doesn't feel like you're driving with a slippy cloud anymore. Shooting out tires is a great minor upgrade. Police are no joke, and they respond much more actively now. I accidentally shot out of my window when I was trying to figure out the new controls and they chased after me and gunned me down. A head shot took my health down from 200ish to ded.

And man, healing items and grenades? My stockpiles are useless, that was so heartbreaking. I had hundreds of those things, and I could sell 100 grenades for quick cash if I needed. Now, N/A.

Level scaling is still terrible. Everything is a bullet sponge, even the random minor crappy gang guy sitting on a couch, who has a dinky pistol that takes a third of your life away. There's real challenge and artificial challenge, and this is the latter. It's not even a case of "get good." When you're surrounded by a small army of gang members, and you can't really hurt them by spreading quickhacks or grenading them, and you have to hide and pick at them. It prompts an entire different style of gameplay, which won't be welcomed by everyone.
I just started a new game to check things out.

I don't know if it's Windows 11, but the HDR looks so much better now. I could never get it looking right before. I started this game as a corpo, so starting at night in the neon/corp district is gorgeous. With the deep blacks, all the neon colours pop so well. The ray tracing might be helping too, but everything has so much more depth.

I got to the point where we meet Deshawn, so I just started drivign around the city instead. You're so right, driving is miles better. It was always ass

Sucks to hear about the level scaling though. I loved the melee controls with the blades in first playthrough, was looking forward to going down that path with better perks this time. I'm sure there's level scaling mod, I'll have to investigate.

Coming from Starfield, it's nice to see some attractive NPC's again. Western devs love making everyone ugly lol

CDPR quest director (lead quest designer) Pawel takes a humble bow over expansion praise:

Patch 2.0 was a fucktone of work, but your reactions make it all worth it!

Any major pieces of feedback? Anything urgent we should know about?

I keep track on forums, facebook, twitter and reddit, but if you want to highlight anything, I’m all ears

I hate level scaling.

And losing my progress after spending 75 hours building this sweet netrunner, only for that type of character to be moldy garbage now? Not cool. Restarting before beating the game the first time will really, really sting.

Yeah, best park of Cyberpunk for me was maxing Intelligence, getting my legendary cyberware and murking everything with Contagion, Short Circuit and Overload.

I've heard that took a massive hit.

I have a level 50 character, 20 intelligence, 20 technical ability and 20 body.

All Cyberpsychos have been dealt with and most of the side gigs have been cleared.

The expansion seems kinda pricey for DLC. I don't have the original game but it's kinda the same price.

IGN review just uploaded their Phantom Liberty review, for those who care.

IGN's recent reviews have been improved, but it's a big question if they'll ever overcome from their decade-long reputation.

GManLives has a much better reputation.
His review was just uploaded -

The expansion seems kinda pricey for DLC. I don't have the original game but it's kinda the same price.

Very respectable opinion.
$30 is pretty steep for DLC.

I imagine there'll eventually be a price decrease ($20), or a bundle option to pick up the main game + expansion for $40, possibly as soon as around the holidays but Spring 2024 is probably more likely.

If you already have a backlog of games and are in no hurry to play this, may as well wait for a price decrease.

PL review on the Series X, since practically all other reviews are of the PC version -

Was considering buying a type bundle of everything myself and with that wondered price, but CDP are pushing game and expansion separately ATM; makes sense in tow of launch because 2.0 base game update was free while DLC not. I think for holiday season, we’ll see an all-in-one bundle to pounce on.

Not sure whether I really want to restart the vanilla game to play the dlc. Just don't have the time and inclination as an adult to play a game more than once. I don't care how many patches you throw on a game, at the core it's still the same game and once you experienced it once, there is no need to go over it again for a 1.4 type experience.

For example, people were really ragging on the police system, but I consider that peripheral stuff that doesn't really ruin the experience for me in the first place, so it's great that they worked on that, but it doesn't warrant another go.

On the other hand.... I built my own PC for the first time and I finally finished it in March of this year and I went from a 1070 to a RTX 4070 ti. So it would be nice to take a triple-A production game for a spin when there have been improvements on both the software and hardware end. I don't know yet, I've just started the third act of BG3 and before that I hadn't finished Jagged Alliance 3 yet, so we will see.

Last edited:
Very respectable opinion.
$30 is pretty steep for DLC.

I imagine there'll eventually be a price decrease ($20), or a bundle option to pick up the main game + expansion for $40, possibly as soon as around the holidays but Spring 2024 is probably more likely.

If you already have a backlog of games and are in no hurry to play this, may as well wait for a price decrease.

lol I thought the DLC was like $50 from the way he talked about it. $30 is standard DLC price.

For example, people were really ragging on the police system, but I consider that peripheral stuff that doesn't really ruin the experience for me in the first place, so it's great that they worked on that, but it doesn't warrant another go.

Yea this is why a lot of the complaints from the initial release didn't matter to me. I just played it as a normal RPG game going from quest to quest. People are like "I can't enter any of the buildings". I only entered buildings I needed to go to.

Haven't played this at all, was biding my time until they fixed everything.

Was on sale so just bought it, felt like good timing, will get the dlc as well.

Looks like I misspoke above. There is a PlayStation Store bundle available. Here's something CDPR just posted on there not being a preload + how to successfully install the bundle bonuses for tomorrow's launch:

⚠️Important information for PlayStation 5 gamers — If you purchased the Cyberpunk 2077 + Phantom Liberty bundle, to download Phantom Liberty claim it from the PlayStation Store by pressing "download" once the game releases at midnight local time. We apologize for the lack of a pre-load.

The pre-order Quadra may not be available for PlayStation at first. This may especially affect regions where the game will release first due to their time zones. We are working to ensure players receive their bonus as soon as possible!

Not sure whether I really want to restart the vanilla game to play the dlc. Just don't have the time and inclination as an adult to play a game more than once. I don't care how many patches you throw on a game, at the core it's still the same game and once you experienced it once, there is no need to go over it again for a 1.4 type experience.

On the other hand.... I built my own PC for the first time and I finally finished it in March of this year and I went from a 1070 to a RTX 4070 ti. So it would be nice to take a triple-A production game for a spin when there have been improvements on both the software and hardware end. I don't know yet, I've just started the third act of BG3 and before that I hadn't finished Jagged Alliance 3 yet, so we will see.

Yeah I get it.

I refunded the game soon after launch, bought it again when it was on discount and restarted a few times after going through a fair chunk of the game. I have a level 50 character with 20 in intelligence, strength and technical ability. Most of my my side missions and gigs have been done.

Spending hours upon hours of doing what I've done before just seems like a colossal waste of time.

For new players? Yeah, go for it. Can't help but feel a bit shafted myself though.

ok so I just bought Phantom Liberty from Steam

I cant play it until tomorrow? Do I just open up regular cyberpunk to play the DLC?

I have been sitting on this shit for 3 years. Now restarting after only 15 hours to dive in lol

Back