Official AMD "Ryzen" CPU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penning in a deal with TESLA is huge.. All of my TESLA related stock is up. Purchased shares with AMD immediately.

AMD really seems to be the outcast within the CPU/GPU and AI industry that nobody wants to acknowledge. Even though the quality of product and performance of it is top notch.

It's no surprise that TESLA contacted AMD for a much cheaper contract.. and this is going to be huge for AMD

Apparently it was misquoted
Update: A GlobalFoundries spokesperson responded to this report with the following statement:

"Sanjay's comments at GlobalFoundries' GTC event were not reported accurately. In his presentation, Sanjay simply cited that companies like Apple, Google and Tesla are examples of the types of businesses showing interest in working closely with silicon companies to differentiate their offerings. Tesla has not committed to working with us on any autonomous driving technology or product."
https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/21/cnbc-tesla-amd-ai-chip/

Penning in a deal with TESLA is huge.. All of my TESLA related stock is up. Purchased shares with AMD immediately.

AMD really seems to be the outcast within the CPU/GPU and AI industry that nobody wants to acknowledge. Even though the quality of product and performance of it is top notch.

It's no surprise that TESLA contacted AMD for a much cheaper contract.. and this is going to be huge for AMD
I think they also had signed a contract with a Chinese company, not sure what for but it's a nice little win.

Things are looking up for AMD

im conflicted with the rumored news with the damn icy like crap

I would wait for Cannon Lake or Icy Lake, but ain't nobody got time for that. I'm rocking an i5 4690k and a 1080Ti, my purchase finger is very very itchy.

I figure worst case, I feel immense regret and upgrade again in 2019. Trying to figure out the right time to buy is damn near impossible.

I would wait for Cannon Lake or Icy Lake, but ain't nobody got time for that. I'm rocking an i5 4690k and a 1080Ti, my purchase finger is very very itchy.

I figure worst case, I feel immense regret and upgrade again in 2019. Trying to figure out the right time to buy is damn near impossible.

brother you need to toss in another 1080ti while your at it

fair enough point, im looking at getting the 8700k myself, but those new ice lakes rumors will piss me off to the max if i buy a 8700k.
I suspect Ice Lake will be a nominal improvement like the past quad core successors to quad core. Coffee Lake is the time to jump; if you're buying, buy now. This is the hexacore shift.

This is going to be the biggest overall performance improvement (per dollar particularly) we see from Intel for several years at least, I suspect.

You just bought a 4690K?

The latest announcement says Coffee Lake launches in three days on October 5th (not necessarily that you'll be able to get the 8700K immediately).

I suspect Ice Lake will be a nominal improvement like the past quad core successors to quad core. Coffee Lake is the time to jump; if you're buying, buy now. This is the hexacore shift.

This is going to be the biggest overall performance improvement (per dollar particularly) we see from Intel for several years at least, I suspect.

You just bought a 4690K?

The latest announcement says Coffee Lake launches in three days on October 5th (not necessarily that you'll be able to get the 8700K immediately).

Oh no, my 4690k is a couple of years old. Haswell refresh, so i'm about due for an upgrade anyway. Might as well snag the flagship.

Should have saved my links. Yes, they did sign a deal last Thursday 9/28. Your link is from 9/21.

Link I said, it was supposed to be on the hush but Intel and NVIDIA found out about it.
Tesla seems to be giving Nvidia the finger. I read a story earlier about how they're switching to Intel for their touch screen

Kind of glad my laptop purchase was cancelled what with these new Intel CPUs. I'm going to do this properly and just upgrade my badly aging desktop (. . . for half the price!)

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_8600K/
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_8700K/

So the coffee lake reviews are out and as expected intel are champs once again. highlights from techpowerup reviews;

• Core i7-8700K can gain 15% over the previous generation flagship, the i7-7700K.
  • Applications that are properly multi-threaded, like rendering, see even larger gains; up by nearly 50%
  • single-threaded tests run faster.
  • reaching high 4ghz range on air coolers with ease. Some chips reaching 5ghz flat without much voltage bump
If games weren't so low demanding I would pick one up. Most people with a 4ghz+ 3rd gen or higher can probably wait if they are just gaming.

Of all these new processors the one that had me most curious was the i5-8400 (because it's the most unique; it was rather easy to predict the performance gains in the others). Anandtech descends from Olympus to enlighten us-- there is none better:
The AnandTech Coffee Lake Review: Initial Numbers on the Core i7-8700K and Core i5-8400

91810.png

91823.png

91828.png

91834.png

91858.png

It's even better than I expected with that steep +1.2GHz Turbo Mode across its six cores. Just look at it! It's beating the bejeebus out of the R7-1800X!! That's a CPU with an MSRP of $182.

There's no other gaming CPU in the $100-$200 range for non-overclockers even worth looking at, anymore.

Holy shit, R.I.P. AMD for gaming.

Of all these new processors the one that had me most curious was the i5-8400 (because it's the most unique; it was rather easy to predict the performance gains in the others). Anandtech descends from Olympus to enlighten us-- there is none better:
The AnandTech Coffee Lake Review: Initial Numbers on the Core i7-8700K and Core i5-8400

91810.png

91823.png

91828.png

91834.png

91858.png

It's even better than I expected with that steep +1.2GHz Turbo Mode across its six cores. Just look at it! It's beating the bejeebus out of the R7-1800X!! That's a CPU with an MSRP of $182.

There's no other gaming CPU in the $100-$200 range for non-overclockers even worth looking at, anymore.

Holy shit, R.I.P. AMD for gaming.

I'm really, really curious to see how that i5-8400 compares to a i5-3570k or 2500k

??

He just explained why, Ghost.
  1. He's clearly an NVIDIA gamer (for his GPU), but NVIDIA suffers driver issues when coupled with Ryzen processors-- probably not a coincidence those don't get top priority. He mentioned the specific titles (those games he probably plays) where his current Ryzen is already 20% slower than his previous 6700K processor.
  2. Meanwhile, reference to delidded processors indicates he's not just an overclocker, but an extreme/advanced overclocker who may be interested in the extreme advantage gained by Intel when you exploit this additional headroom. Ryzen is incredibly attractive to budget overclockers because the stock cooler itself on most processors is enough to hit at least 3.7GHz safely when there is a ~4.1GHz wall regardless of how expensive or extreme your overclocking cooling is for those processors. When you couple this will AMD's already huge advantage in terms of value per overall horsepower you see why the R3-1200, R5-1600, and R7-1700 have become so popular. However, for those guys who are willing to spend money on more expensive aftermarket solutions for the top tier gaming performance, the 5.2GHz ceiling on Intel's processors (that already have a huge IPC advantage) is far, far more attractive.
  3. His comment that the 8700K will be a good "all around CPU" indicates that he probably also does some kind of editing work. In other words, his dissatisfaction with the 6700K versus Ryzen was likely that it wasn't keeping up for his professional work. The 8700K will be hexacore, so its editing capability will be far, far above the 6700K, but it won't sacrifice that gaming potential that he is giving up with the Ryzen.

100% correct, and now that we see 8700k reviews, we can see just how good of an all around processor it is. Reviewers are at least gaming and benchmarking at 5.1-5.2 GHz without delidding. I'll be delidding it and water cooling it. I won't be too upset about Ice Lake, since I'm sure Zen will eventually have infinity fabric and RAM running at 1:1 frequency (it's on AMD's roadmap) and they will continue to push frequencies. Let's just hope NVIDIA improves their drivers for AMD.

And before anyone asks, I'm essentially stuck with NVIDIA since I heavily use some of their proprietary features.

Also I was utterly shocked that my 1700X seems to deliver very similar performance in Arma 3 compared to my i7 6700k. Probably the most bizarre performance result I've seen between these two CPUs. This is at 2560 x 1440 with a GTX 1080 Ti.

Anandtech descends from Olympus to enlighten us-- there is none better:

Anandtech has perhaps the most knowledgeable CPU reviewers, but not the most meaningful game tests since they don't include video footage. Gameplay footage is great for showing us things that may not severely affect the average FPS, but do significantly affect the experience, like microstutters and FPS drops during very intense scenes on 4 core/4 thread CPUs.

Last edited:
Anandtech has perhaps the most knowledgeable CPU reviewers, but not the most meaningful game tests since they don't include video footage. Gameplay footage is great for showing us things that may not severely affect the average FPS, but do significantly affect the experience, like microstutters and FPS drops during very intense scenes on 4 core/4 thread CPUs.
My issue with video footage is that it's never uncompressed. I'd rather look at the microstutter charts with framerate minimums and variance.

Apparently according to AMD they knew Intel was going to rush out 6 months ahead of time Coffee Lake in response to AMD product releases due to the limited lead Intel had performance wise VS the Ryzen chip. This is why AMD has been busy for the last 2 years making Pinnacle Ridge and apparently they been working with their chip supplier Global Foundries to build it on a 12 nm platform VS earlier reported 7 nm one. They apparently plan on sampling these chips before the end of the year for vendors for Feb. product release. It's going to start again with 8 cores and 16 threads like the Ryzen 1700 and 1800 platform VS threadripper platform. It's like at least 20 percent to 30 percent faster IPC VS Ryzen 1. So it will cut the lead in gaming that Intel has currently with the new chips.

They also compared themselves to Buster Douglas facing a tough fight ahead.

AMD-Raven-Ridge-APU-Specs-and-AMD-Pinnacle-Ridge-CPU-Specs.png

At the introduction Global showed a 7 nm process node and 40 percent performance improvement over a 14 nm node. AMD is fully expected to support this transition to 7 nm likely well before 2020. I keep hearing about a new product coming from AMD at the roll out of 7 nm chips.

https://www.hpcwire.com/2017/09/24/globalfoundries-puts-wind-amds-sails-12nm-finfet/

My issue with video footage is that it's never uncompressed. I'd rather look at the microstutter charts with framerate minimums and variance.

That's good too of course, but I meant footage with an OSD showing frame rate, frame times, CPU usage, GPU usage.

That's good too of course, but I meant footage with an OSD showing frame rate, frame times, CPU usage, GPU usage.
Ah, gotcha.

I remember back in 2012 there was an exerted, overt effort from all the tech sites to educate gamers on new charts to study (with frametime variance), and gamers basically didn't appreciate the nuance. They stopped doing them almost immediately. I recall Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, and Extremetech were among the vanguard. Nobody seemed to appreciate it, and those took massive amounts of time, so one day they just stopped and went back to the more basic fps charts.

At the same time, the YouTubers who just present the graphic overlay without any summary statistics at the end of their vid strike me as incredibly lazy. If you're gonna do a job, do a job.

Bah. My PC has been on the fritz so I want to do a new build, but I can't just buy a new CPU knowing there is a brand new 6-core out there. Stupid paper launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.