O’Malley is managing his career like a boxer

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
He’s doing it in a very intelligent way.
Was already making millions before he fought his first top ten opponent.

Now he’s fighting Chito for his first title defense.
When smart boxers become champion, they don’t always fight the most worthy or next best fighter.
It’s too much wear and tear, wars, and is just bad overall for the longevity of a fighter. Sometimes you have to throw in easier fights in between the hard ones. It’s a page straight out of mayweather book.

For instance, when Mayweather was sparring for a Mcgregor or Andre Berto, he didn’t necessarily have to bring in killers for his training camp. But when he did sparring for Pacquaio, I remember he had to bring in killers to his training camp, I think Zab Judah was one.
Like don’t get me wrong, you still have to spar hard and take damage for every fight, but some fights the style of training partner is going to be worse for your health than others.

You also will get paid almost as much, for a much easier fight. So it’s kind of like being smart financially. “Easy money” as they say.

Now I’m not saying Chito is an easy fight, but it’s obvious he’s a much easier fight than someone like Merab, Sandhagen, and Umar.

But part of why the UFC is so awesome, is that there are no easy fights once you get in, and then once you become champion you are normally forced to defend your title against the guys we all want to see… Which would normally be the next best guy.

Although I’m not nearly as excited for this fight as I would be if he fought a Merab or Sandhagen, who are much more deserving. I can’t blame O’Malley for doing it this way, because him and Bisping had that Dana white privledge. (Since Bisping got to defend against Hendo)

Last edited:
Like him or hate his hair and generation, but he seems to be on the level when it comes to business and taking care of it.

Luckily he's a striker, so I am able to forget the hair come fight night :)

Yea he is but he’s only able to do so because he’s the UFC is enabling him. Without favoritism he have none of success.

It makes him look bad when guys like Izzy ask for Yoel Romero for their first defense and guys like Volk beat Max a second time for the belt for a 1st defense.

It will look incredibly bad if he loses to Chito especially in a boring way

I've said this long ago. But people only care about his hair, his sex life and getting triggered by out of context clips or statements of his. Lol. Oh or getting trolled by obvious and pretty benign trolling.

I've been of the opinion for quite a while that if young up and comers want to manage their careers they should look no futher than what sean O'malley did.

Not to fast, not too slow. Took the right match ups to get him forward, didn't fight ranked guys for beans and rack up a bunch of losses early.

if you're going to fight for less than 50k you should be fighting no names. Don't fight "name" fighters for cheap. If you're getting top 25 money, fight top 25 fighters. and such. don't bat out of your leauge because they wont pay you more for losing a fight, even if you were supposed to lose.

When smart boxers become champion, they don’t always fight the most worthy or next best fighter.
It’s too much wear and tear, wars, and is just bad overall for the longevity of a fighter. Sometimes you have to throw in easier fights in between the hard ones. It’s a page straight out of mayweather book.

For instance, when Mayweather was sparring for a Mcgregor or Andre Berto, he didn’t necessarily have to bring in killers for his training camp. But when he did sparring for Pacquaio, I remember he had to bring in killers to his training camp, I think Zab Judah was one.
Like don’t get me wrong, you still have to spar hard and take damage for every fight, but some fights the style of training partner is going to be worse for your health than others.

You also will get paid almost as much, for a much easier fight. So it’s kind of like being smart financially. “Easy money” as they say.

Now I’m not saying Chito is an easy fight, but it’s obvious he’s a much easier fight than someone like Merab, Sandhagen, and Umar.

But part of why the UFC is so awesome, is that there are no easy fights once you get in, and then once you become champion you are normally forced to defend your title against the guys we all want to see… Which would normally be the next best guy.

Although I’m not nearly as excited for this fight as I would be if he fought a Merab or Sandhagen, who are much more deserving. I can’t blame O’Malley for doing it this way, because him and Bisping had that Dana white privledge. (Since Bisping got to defend against Hendo)

Fighters don't pick their opponents.

Even Champions don't pick their opponents.

Title fights are arranged by the matchmakers, like any other fight.

If your smashed narrative was true, we would have a Jon Jones scenario in every division.

If your smashed narrative was true, we would have a Jon Jones scenario in every division.
You don't think they play favorites? Before Sean was champ, he was saying this will be his first defense. Not all champs are treated equal.

He definitely seems above average in handling the business side of MMA.

If he wants to really manage his career like a boxer, then he will need to do what Conor and Francis did: actually find a way to box.

If he can parlay his MMA fame into a big gimmick boxing match, then he could make more off one fight than a U Fight Cheap career. Obviously he isn't at that level of fame to pull that off, but if he keeps winning he could.

You can't make real money in U Fight Cheap. You can only use it as stepping stone to a good payday in boxing.

I dont like the guy except when he fights. He got a cool style of fighting.

But i cringe every time he opens his mouth or try to do a "funny" video.

I agree that he keeps building himself in a smart way.
He seems like a decent level headed guy in "real" interviews but the schtick is super cringe. But casuals love it and it brings in the $$$ so I get it.

I think you missed the part where I said boxers.. right in the title.

Imagine of he loses to Chito again. He is taking a risk because Chito is not a serious contender and everybody knows it

Lol ..

Yes the easier fight against the guy who put him on a stretcher the last time they fought lmfao ...

Imagine writing all this non sense...

Fighters don't pick their opponents, however, they and their agents, managers certainly have input in terms of who they fight. It's all the negotiation process. Certain fighters also have more negotiation power than others.

Lol ..

Yes the easier fight against the guy who put him on a stretcher the last time they fought lmfao ...

Imagine writing all this non sense...
He wasnt taken out on a stretcher you fool.
It was a calf kick which is an adjustment you can make for. Imagine thinking Chito is a harder fight than Merab or Sandhagen

While I do think Sean is the much more skilled fighter this isn't the easiest fight.

This feels like the Bisping/Hendo 2 situation where Sean being a rangy striker will let Chito sit back and set up massive shots behind outrageous durability. I feel like there's going to be a big skill gap and Chito is going to get torn up worse than the Font fight but unless Sean's the guy to put Chito down I don't think he's going to have the same skill set Sandhagen did to stay safe away from power.

Back