NINTENDO SWITCH Official Discussion v3: Still noobs at online gaming

Woke up at 1am stoked to play Mario - turns out my SD card got all fucked up since I played last week somehow and is bad - couldn't even format it in my PC. Granted it's a 5-year old card but I was pissed. Had to reinstall all my games (including Odyssey) on a new card and couldn't start playing until I woke up at 6. But Goddamn is Mario great. Only issue I had was controlling the Bullet Bills. It seems to switch controller directions mid-flight, where left turns it right and vice versa all of a sudden.

Been playing the demo at Best Buy. Cannot fucking wait. In a perfect universe, they would BOTH win dual GOTY.

Yea I honestly didn't really care about a mario game. Played the demo at Target though and was impressed. After I beat M+R this is my go to.

The last Mario game I played / beat was Sunshine. I haven't played anything on the Wii / Wii-U so this is going to be my first trip back to Marioland in like a decade. I'm frothing at the bit to get my hands on this hairy plumber, nipples and all.

Mario64 was my last mario game.

Played it for a bit and it's a lot of fun. Shades of Mario 64. Pretty sure it won't be as enjoyable as Zelda but it'll be damn close.

am I going to have any issue getting this at Target or Best Buy? Are there game shortages like there were system shortages when it came out?

am I going to have any issue getting this at Target or Best Buy? Are there game shortages like there were system shortages when it came out?

Last couple of times I've been to Best Buy, Target or Meijer there have been some in stock so I think the shortage is finally over, at least until the holiday season.

I dont think its that great honestly

I was more blown away by Breath of the WIld

I dont think its that great honestly

I was more blown away by Breath of the WIld

I’m not much for platformers so I’d say BotW is better so far (just got to New Donk City), but something about this game makes me want to get 100% completion. It’s a lot of fun.

I've spent about 6-8h with Mario so far. I have 250+ hour into BOTW.

I'll compare them so far:

Graphics: Very close, both look fantastic. Over all BOTW's larger open world and rolling hills, 3D bits of rocks, sticks and debri that hide in the grass, environmental effects and weather / ecosystem allow for more beauty in the actual game engine. That said Mario looks sharper, has more vibrancy and higher frame rate / smoother animation. I don't know which I'd pick as a favorite and both do things better than the other.

Playability: It's just not as fun to control Link. Mario is a masterclass unto himself as far as his movement combos and how they are applied in the game world. BOTW had amazing boss fights, so does Mario so far, arguably comparable and equally as good as the other. Collecting stuff is more fun in Mario, moving is more fun in Mario, I think exploring might have been more rewarding in Zelda but climbing, riding, gliding and walking / running isn't as fun as moving Mario.

Replay value: I guess we'll have to see if I dump almost 300 hours into Mario! Zelda I could play another 100 exploring and finding seeds without a guide, I don't know if Mario has that depth.

GOTY so far? Mario.

Zelda is amazing, I love it, it's almost perfect. But Mario is redefining genres once again and Nintendo is showing the world why they lead the pack. Mario is a joy to play, it's almost a magical experience that harkens back three decades of platforming. Mario *will* win GOTY and receive on average a higher review score than Zelda because of this. It's pushing the boundry where-as Zelda helped define it.

Everyone always hypes the game when they first try it. Everyone said BOTW was awesome and then a couple weeks past and people complain the dungeons were the same.

Everyone always hypes the game when they first try it. Everyone said BOTW was awesome and then a couple weeks past and people complain the dungeons were the same.

I'm a really grumpy, hard to impress gamer. I hate the phenomenon you're addressing and go out of my way to avoid writing about those initial tingles.

I'm a really grumpy, hard to impress gamer. I hate the phenomenon you're addressing and go out of my way to avoid writing about those initial tingles.

If I remember correctly some people on here even said the new Final Fantasy was awesome...

hey just bought a switch tonight with a pro controller and mario.. question. Can you shut it off in the dock or is sleep mode its power off?

Mario is fun so far getting use to the camera movements is taking me a bit... Also do the little controllers charge if I keep them on while its docked?

hey just bought a switch tonight with a pro controller and mario.. question. Can you shut it off in the dock or is sleep mode its power off?

Mario is fun so far getting use to the camera movements is taking me a bit... Also do the little controllers charge if I keep them on while its docked?

Sleep mode is it's power off I'm pretty sure. The controllers charge if they are attached to the switch docked or not.

Back