NFL player Chris Long's reaction to new NFL kneeling regulation

The league obviously did not want kneeling as they are losing revenue -- so they passed the buck onto the owners, who whether they like or not, are going to pay the fines because they exponentially more invested into players, and by association, their morale, than petty fines. So, again, PLAYERS are not getting fined / suspended for kneeling, the league placates 50% of their viewership and owners have to pay a tad more (its telling that they would rather pay fines than have a 15 yard penalty at the start of the game)

So, if the players union want to strike over something they can still do, and not lose money over (aside of the plethora of minor things they do get fined for like: curfew, dress code, tweets etc) then if i was a player, i'd be pretty pissed that i would be losing massive income over something i can still do and not get fined for.
You say “the league” and “the owners” as if they were two separate entities. The NFL isn’t publically traded— “the league” IS the owners. The owners hire Goddell. He reports directly to them.

Apparently building wells in Tanzania means no one can ever question your position on any issue, ever.

Thank you for the lesson, sir.

What do you question on this particular issue?

How many employers in any industry allow their employees to engage in political protest on the job?

These overpaid players can stop whining and get over it. Protest on your own time.

This is a terrible, lazy rhetoric.

"

Nope, if you do t like the rules of the company you work for, find a new job. If you feel the country you live in is evil and you hate it...move away.

You say “the league” and “the owners” as if they were two separate entities. The NFL isn’t publically traded— “the league” IS the owners.

But the league represents the brunt of the public ire, not the owners of the teams -- this way, the league can say we dont want kneeling and the owners can still have an avenue for the players to kneel -- just pay a petty fine for it.

If the owners really did not want players to kneel, it would be passed a code of conduct rule and the players would have to pay the fine. You already have the owner of the Jets saying he will pay the fines and allow the team to kneel -- do you really think a billionaire owner is going to risk his multi billion dollar investment by having his team revolting with a strike over a small fine -- that the owners voted to pay for?

I think you are assuming owners are more united on the issue than they are. Regardless, this is clearly a move by the faction of owners who have Goodell’s ear. Roger didn’t just wake up one day with a wild hair up his ass and decide to make this rule. They want plausible deniability (Oh, gee, I support your cause so much, but I just can’t pay these fines week after week). And the BIGGEST issue is that the players were blindsided by this instead of being invited to discussion. That’s how you know it’s a Pearl Harbor job.

Please explain exactly what they are kneeling for.

But the league represents the brunt of the public ire, not the owners of the teams -- this way, the league can say we dont want kneeling and the owners can still have an avenue for the players to kneel -- just pay a petty fine for it.
Public dgaf. They are going to see players kneeling and be pissed at the NFL... they’re not going to distinguish between the NFL and the teams that make it up.

You really think a billionaire owner is going to risk his multi billion dollar investment by having his team revolting with a strike over a small fine -- that the owners voted to pay for?
Yup. These are old rich white dudes who see the players as their bitches and are used to getting their way. Just look at the typical structure of an NFL contract vs. any other pro sport.

Please explain exactly what they are kneeling for.
Irrelevant to the discussion I’m having. My point is that the owners spit in the face of the players by not going through the players’ union on this high profile issue.

People were boycotting Kaep and others well before Trump said anything. I find it hilarious how much stock is put into what Trump said even though the kneeling and backlash was already happening.
The most powerful man in the world, leader of a democracy, has no business using his power to target citizens or corporations.

How many employers in any industry allow their employees to engage in political protest on the job?

These overpaid players can stop whining and get over it. Protest on your own time.
How many employers require their employees to stand and listen the the national anthem before they begin work?

Public dgaf. They are going to see players kneeling and be pissed at the NFL... they’re not going to distinguish between the NFL and the teams that make it up.

Sure they do, all the ire i saw was directed at the league and players -- not the teams. The league can now say they are against it. Players can still kneel without being fined themselves, teams take the financial loss. They found a possible work aroumd.

Yup. These are old rich white dudes who see the players as their bitches and are used to getting their way. Just look at the typical structure of an NFL contract vs. any other pro sport.
You're going goal line with your hyperbole -- The first response from an owner is that will pay and let player kneel. Also, the very nature of the sport has to have contracts structured differently -- mainly because NFL teams have 4x the amount of players to pay and face way more injury concerns, so guaranteeing contracts would be extremely risky -- but yeah, near 50% of player share in league revenue is totally out of a Dickens novel

Irrelevant to the discussion I’m having. My point is that the owners spit in the face of the players by not going through the players’ union on this high profile issue.

Slap in the face by passing a rule that still allows them to kneel and not have to be fined, benched or suspended for? If this was such a slap in the face, why am i seeing minimal ire from the NLFPA on this? I agree if the ruling was players would be fined, there would be backlash -- but, thats not the rule was structured.

Nope, if you do t like the rules of the company you work for, find a new job. If you feel the country you live in is evil and you hate it...move away.

Right, because wanting to improve one’s own country means you hate it and want to move away.

You seem to be having a tough time with the concept of a union.

How many employers require their employees to stand and listen the the national anthem before they begin work?
They're not required to do that. They have the option of staying in the locker room during the anthem.

How many employers allow their employees to regurgitate their political views onto the customers while in uniform and on the clock?

So Martin Luther King should have just moved to Mexico?

Get politics out of entertainment. I either don't care or don't want to hear it about it every fucking second of every fucking day. Just throw a ball around and run fast. I don't need an ignorant opinion on a topic that they barely know anything about.

And it's hard to take any athlete seriously about black problems in America when very few will even admit that black people commit more violence on average. Obviously they don't care otherwise they would know a very basic statistic and not willingly ignore it.

You mean like that Colin k guy, who just donated a million dollars to charities for the causes he peaceflly protested about and that you are talking about?
No he didn't

Back