Next up for Bendo: Gil?

Source from previous post.

Cowboy:
"Joe (Silva's) attitude is, ‘Why would you want to go from the top of the division to fight somebody in the middle and potentially risk everything. My management team says the same thing, ‘You should want the belt.' I do want that belt. (The Pettis fight) is the No. 1 contendership. Of course it means something to me. That's the ultimate goal is to get that title. That makes sense. Does waiting on him make sense? I don't know. At this point, if they call me tomorrow and say, ‘We need you next week,' I'll be game. I don't know what the next step is."

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/10/25/...anthony-pettis-lightweight-injury-waiting-ufc

The UFC should put Benson vs Melendez together immediately. Pettis vs Cerrone is over a month away, and if Cerrone wins, I don't want to see Benson vs Cerrone III, considering Bendo beat Cowboy twice already. If Pettis wins, he's clearly in line for the next shot at the title. Meanwhile, Maynard can rack up another win or so in case Benson beats Melendez and Pettis. He'll need another challenger, and Maynard is on a 1 fight win streak.

Maynard has more wins over fighters in the current top ten than any other, including Ben. And only 1 loss.
Gilbert doesn't have a single win over any fighter on that list.
Forgive me, Gil has a win over Guida, 7 yrs ago or so.
Melendez needs to win a fight in the UFC.

method=get&s=jose-aldo.gif

I'm hoping they have Aldo fight KZ late spring/early summer (May/June) if he gets by Frankie, and hold off on his move up until the end of the year (November/December).

I don't think Bendo can finish Gil, but Bendo should be able to get a dec win. Probably use a similar strategy that he used against Edgar.

Gil avenges Nates beating and totally dominates bendo. People forget how good Gil is and how seasoned he is... Gils been to war in pride and war everywhere plus hes fighting for caesar gracie and Nate.

I see gil hammering bendo down and taking ufc gold. The sooner the beater.. "All praise to gilbert melendez the true #1 light weight in the world!"

what are you smoking ? you must be down with that camp :icon_sad:
all in the same camp, similar tactics, gil will lose.:D

Maynard has more wins over fighters in the current top ten than any other, including Ben. And only 1 loss.

which top 10 rankings are we going by here?

http://www.mmaweekly.com/lightweight-division-155-pound-limit-mma-top-10

according to mmaweekly they both have 2 wins over current top 10 fighters.

that's a ridiculous argument, anyway. it only matters if the fighter is top 10 at the time they fight. by your logic pat healy and kitaoka should get a shot at GSP next because they both hold a win over the current #3 WW condit, right?

melendez is the SF champion, a top 3 LW on a 7 fight win streak including wins over thomson x2, aoki, kawajiri, masvidal and ishida.

maynard is one fight removed from fighting for the title, with a win over clay guida.

melendez deserves the shot.

Why not? People ( though not me) have ranked him in the top three forever.

Maynard is injured, Cerrone/Pettis are tied up with one another so we need that fight to happen and another training camp for the winner, Jim Miller/J-Lau winner doesn't deserve it yet, and the only other name that comes to mind is RDA but he needs a big name win.

People bitch too much, would be a good fight.

Why would someone from a minor league (or second division for all you Europeans) get a title shot?

Last edited:
Why would someone from a minor league (or second division for all you Euopreans) get a title shot?

well diaz, pettis and overeem were all offered title shots right off the bat.

pettis got passed over because of the edgar/maynard draw, reem didnt want to wait for JDS/cain to play out and diaz no showed the press conference, GSP ended up pulling out anyway.

gil deserves a shot just as much, if not more than any of those guys and the timing should work out well, with SF's showtime contract ending in march.

well diaz, pettis and overeem were all offered title shots right off the bat.

pettis got passed over because of the edgar/maynard draw, reem didnt want to wait for JDS/cain to play out and diaz no showed the press conference, GSP ended up pulling out anyway.

gil deserves a shot just as much, if not more than any of those guys and the timing should work out well, with SF's showtime contract ending in march.

Gil deserves a title shot because he racked up wins against minor leaguers?
Just because it happened before doesn't mean it's right...

UFC needs to strike while the iron is hot with Melendez. I think he's barely top 5, but people have been saying he's the #2 guy for a while. There is no current challenger for Benson's belt. Ben vs Melendez makes sense, especially if Cowboy beats Pettis. 7-1 in the UFC or not, it doesn't erase the 2 big wins Benson has over Cowboy.

which top 10 rankings are we going by here?

http://www.mmaweekly.com/lightweight-division-155-pound-limit-mma-top-10

according to mmaweekly they both have 2 wins over current top 10 fighters.

that's a ridiculous argument, anyway. it only matters if the fighter is top 10 at the time they fight. by your logic pat healy and kitaoka should get a shot at GSP next because they both hold a win over the current #3 WW condit, right?

melendez is the SF champion, a top 3 LW on a 7 fight win streak including wins over thomson x2, aoki, kawajiri, masvidal and ishida.

maynard is one fight removed from fighting for the title, with a win over clay guida.

melendez deserves the shot.
The only decent win of those Melendez fights are those of Thomson, and the last was highly questionable. He is only second best LW in his own Camp, for goodness sake.
Because you like a fighter doesn't mean that he has earned the right to a Title Fight in the UFC. He needs to win a credible fight in the UFC before he is entitle to anything.

UFC needs to strike while the iron is hot with Melendez. I think he's barely top 5, but people have been saying he's the #2 guy for a while. There is no current challenger for Benson's belt. Ben vs Melendez makes sense, especially if Cowboy beats Pettis. 7-1 in the UFC or not, it doesn't erase the 2 big wins Benson has over Cowboy.

Like Melendez is some PPV Draw? What Melendez needs to do is win a fight in the UFC to even insure a spot on the roster.
You flatter Gil as a top 5. Just who has Gil beaten to even be considered a top 5.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I'd favor Melendez as well. I'd love to see that fight. It's tough to say who he should face next if not Melendez given that there's no clear cut #1 contender in the UFC, but the upcoming lightweight fights should play out and decide who his next opponent is if not El Nino...

Why not? People ( though not me) have ranked him in the top three forever.

Maynard is injured, Cerrone/Pettis are tied up with one another so we need that fight to happen and another training camp for the winner, Jim Miller/J-Lau winner doesn't deserve it yet, and the only other name that comes to mind is RDA but he needs a big name win.

People bitch too much, would be a good fight.

Maynard can begin training the latter part of January. He will fight in April.

Back