• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Next up for Bendo: Gil?

Melendez will need at least one fight before he gets a shot. I think he is awesome and wouldn't have an issue if he got the shot right away, but Dana isn't going to let him do that without winning a fight in the UFC. He made Jake Shields, Hendo, and Lombard (even though Lombard lost) do the same thing when they came over from other promotions. Bendo will get the winner of Cerrone-Pettis and Gil will get... winner of Lauzon-Miller?

Pettis/Cerone winner is up next unless injury would be my guess.

There is no way that Cerrone deserves a sniff at a Title Shot were he to win over Pettis. 2 losses to Ben, one a finish. Battered by Diaz?
Leave the UFC maintain a modicum of legitimacy.
Pettis, however, were he to beat Cerrone, should move into a Title Shot based on his prior win over Ben.
I suspect Maynard/Melendez.

Gil avenges Nates beating and totally dominates bendo. People forget how good Gil is and how seasoned he is... Gils been to war in pride and war everywhere plus hes fighting for caesar gracie and Nate.

I see gil hammering bendo down and taking ufc gold. The sooner the beater.. "All praise to gilbert melendez the true #1 light weight in the world!"

Agree with pretty much all this. I know that pettis/cerrone/maynard are the favorites, but in regards to scheduling and promotion I think this fight will happen. The UFC (and me) want to see the pettis vs bendo rematch, but give Gil his credit and his shot.

A unification bout is just as marketable as Pettis vs Bendo 2, and I too wanna see Pettis vs Bendo 2.

Melendez will need at least one fight before he gets a shot. I think he is awesome and wouldn't have an issue if he got the shot right away, but Dana isn't going to let him do that without winning a fight in the UFC. He made Jake Shields, Hendo, and Lombard (even though Lombard lost) do the same thing when they came over from other promotions. Bendo will get the winner of Cerrone-Pettis and Gil will get... winner of Lauzon-Miller?

I agree that they likely will go with Pettis if he wins, however not so sure if Cerrone gets it or not, quite possibly but he'll need a good performance.

But Nick was originally going to go straight into a title fight against GSP when he came over from SF, so it's not like they haven't wanted to go that route before.

The UFC should put Benson vs Melendez together immediately. Pettis vs Cerrone is over a month away, and if Cerrone wins, I don't want to see Benson vs Cerrone III, considering Bendo beat Cowboy twice already. If Pettis wins, he's clearly in line for the next shot at the title. Meanwhile, Maynard can rack up another win or so in case Benson beats Melendez and Pettis. He'll need another challenger, and Maynard is on a 1 fight win streak.

There is no way that Cerrone deserves a sniff at a Title Shot were he to win over Pettis. 2 losses to Ben, one a finish. Battered by Diaz?
Leave the UFC maintain a modicum of legitimacy.
Pettis, however, were he to beat Cerrone, should move into a Title Shot based on his prior win over Ben.
I suspect Maynard/Melendez.

That is a fair. But the UFC will want to call it a #1 contender fight. So they will use Cerrone being 6-1 in the UFC (7-1 with a win).

They likely want Pettis to win because it is much less messy.

Agree with pretty much all this. I know that pettis/cerrone/maynard are the favorites, but in regards to scheduling and promotion I think this fight will happen. The UFC (and me) want to see the pettis vs bendo rematch, but give Gil his credit and his shot.
Gil needs a wake up, welcome to reality fight. Maynard/Melendez would do just fine.

That is a fair. But the UFC will want to call it a #1 contender fight. So they will use Cerrone being 6-1 in the UFC (7-1 with a win).

They likely want Pettis to win because it is much less messy.
The UFC, as of yesterday, refused to label Pettis/Cerrone as a #1 Contender fight.
Cerrone has had 1 high level opponent, Diaz. We saw what resulted there.

If Pettis gets by Cerrone, look for them to go with that matchup. Beyond that Melendez makes the most sense, and I would like to see Gil finally get exposed.

method=get&s=jose-aldo.gif

The UFC, as of yesterday, refused to label Pettis/Cerrone as a #1 Contender fight.
Cerrone has had 1 high level opponent, Diaz. We saw what resulted there.

I think they change their tune when the hype machine gets going.

They seem to think Cerrone is close enough to the title since they told him to wait for the Pettis fight. He said he was told he was too high up the rankings to take any fight.

I prefer Pettis/Gil but UFC matchmaking rarely does what I think makes sense.

Back