New Weight Classes - Realignment

Wrong.

The reason for weight divisions is to negate the size difference between competitors in order for it to be fair, if we removed this from the equation we'd be left with 1 division.

So there is a great importance on weight divisions for fairness and entertainment value, why do fighters who can make 125lb not deserve the same even playing field as there higher division counter parts??

And why use MM?? He's a small 125lb whose actually fighting above his weight class since MMA doesn't have a 115lb division!!

How many more would satisfy you?
Will you eventually recreate the same argument once you realise your favourite fighter would prefer to weigh in at 173lbs as opposed to 170lbs? Maybe a 173 lbs weight class too.

I never mentioned anything along the lines of eliminating all weight classes and I can obviously recognize the need for weight classes, but they should be few and far between. Again, a small weight difference isn't a big deal. How many times have we seen fighters move up and win? Happens often.

I cannot bring myself to see it the way you do. It isn't supposed to be "fair", it isn't supposed to be a perfect world- it is supposed to be a fight. I also cannot fathom why anyone would want even more "champions".

I think it would be better if there was 10lb increments from 125-205. But there is not enough quality fighters. The champion of 155 would end up being Ryan Hall or Nik Lentz which would be good for them but bad for quality.

The 125 women's division is going to drain 115 and 135. There are are 80 or so women fighter currently signed with the UFC. And I can name 10 off the top of my head who haven't fought in over a year and some who are pregnant or just had a baby or injured.

I know yerr joking but UFC's views and ratings would absolutely skyrocket if we had only 4 belts:
Men's Heavyweight
Men's Middleweight
Men's Welterweight
Men's Lightweight

Just these 4 and nothing else. FW, BW and WMMA has never sold anything and are a complete bore and snooze. I would miss LHW but they can all man up and go to HW.
To be fair DJ doesn't draw much less than Miocic or if Werdum was champion. And if there were only these divisions then Rousey wouldn't have made the company millions of dollars. Whittaker, Cormier, Miocic couldn't do that combined.

Back