New to TUF, need advice on watching which one!

Other than nostalgia I don't see a reason to watch the first few seasons. It can be fun to see well known fighters back then but the show was very unpolished back then. Weird challenges that had nothing to do with fighting and no real tournament format. Some guys wouldn't fight untill the semis while others fought several times. It was weird.

But again, it's worth it for the nostalgia factor, if you're in to that.

Some things where weird and not good to me for sure, but at the same time, that's when there was the better talents.

I actually really liked seasons 1 and 4. One is sort of weird, because they don't have the format sorted out yet, but there are some pretty funny moments in the house. It made me really like Stephan Bonnar.

I don't recommend season 13, but I do recommend the episodes featuring Tony Ferguson's fights. He was the only one that season who put on good fights/finishes.

Swick, Leben, Forrest, Koscheck, Bonnar, Quarry, Sanchez and Florian all came from that one season. If you want to see just straight out nonsense and crazy shit. Watch season 8. Junie Browning going batshit multiple times is enough to make you watch it. Plus you get the Flithy one with this little gem:
method=get&s=tom-lawlor-gif-02-14-13-9-14-36-38.gif
lol, Dave Kaplan was one of the more self-deluded guys to appear on the show. Him, Andy 'I'm a warrior' Wang, and Marlon '150 streetfights' Sims

Unless production is really important to you, that you know/care a lot about lenses, angles, editing and such, all seasons that I've watched have been just fine in that regard (no shitty VHS feel).

The first season has, imo, the best characters and arguably the best cast of fighters. That can be because they truly wanted to get the best prospects (which happened to have a personality), unlike some seasons where the cast doesn't get anywhere in the UFC (Kendall Grove said they started to put too much emphasis on personality when the show became popular).

So, the 1st, the comeback season, season 10: HW's and Penn/Pulver were the most fun to watch (combination of good TV and good fights/fighters) from the ones I've seen. Season 10 falls short with talent compared to those others, but it has some colorful fellas both as fighters and coaches.

Haven't watched any season closely after Chuck/Tito (some of GSP/Kos), and the feud between those wasn't the same as a few years earlier. One of, if not the most promising guy to come out of that season is Brad Tavares.

Watch it from the beginning

Talent-wise, skip these seasons:

6 (I liked it, but it didn't have much in the way of good fighters)
8 (unless you like stupid antics, though Nog was really likable as a coach)
9 (really weak season with Pearson pretty much being the only quality fighter)
10 (unless you like Kimbo and seeing Rampage act like an ass)

Heh, I skipped past the early seasons since people were acting like the first 5 seasons had great talent, but season 3 wasn't very good. There were more bad fighters than good ones.

Mike Stine - I don't even remember him.
Kendall Grove - Team Dagger! Had the weight of an island on his shoulders/back/whatever the hell he said.
Rory Singer - Goofy, mediocre fighter.
Danny Abbadi - He just wasn't made out to be a fighter. Maybe he became a ninja or something.
Kalib Starnes - The infamous Running Man.
Solomon Hutcherson - The other part of Team Dagger.
Ed Herman - He surely had a high opinion of himself, and it was nice to watch him lose.
Ross Pointon - Willing to take and then lose any fight.
Michael Bisping - The season where we were introduced to the whiny Brit.
Noah Inhofer - Why in the hell did he join the show if he was that damn paranoid about his girlfriend?
Josh Haynes - Had the heart, but not exactly the fighting ability.
Matt Hamill - I wonder what would have happened had he not got injured during the season.
Jesse Forbes - He was absolutely awful on TUF, but went on to have a decent career post-UFC.
Kristian Rothaermel - Barely remember him.
Tait Fletcher - I always called him 'Taint'. He went on to become a stuntman and actor.
Mike Nickels - I believe he stopped fighting to focus more on his tattoo business.

Imo season 5 is the best and is by far my favorite season
-Penn is hilarious and Pulver is interesting character plus they both really dislike each other
-There are a bunch of really talented fighters like diaz, lauzon, maynard, wiman, miller, gamburyan
-The team selection ordeal is classic
-Gabe Ruediger is probably the funniest contestant ever, he has so many fails that I'm not even going to begin to list them
-Corey Hill is pretty damn crazy
-Diaz and Gamburyan both have a good ghetto freakout
-Diaz wanting to fight Karo was awesome and it was ridiculous to see how full of himself Karo was
-Wanye Weems is literally a sacrificial lamb
-Marlon Sims has like a hundred stories about how awesome he is and fights a guy in the house, slamming his head into the pavement
-And theres Andy Wang a true fucking warrior

Imo season 5 is the best and is by far my favorite season
-Penn is hilarious and Pulver is interesting character plus they both really dislike each other
-There are a bunch of really talented fighters like diaz, lauzon, maynard, wiman, miller, gamburyan
-The team selection ordeal is classic
-Gabe Ruediger is probably the funniest contestant ever, he has so many fails that I'm not even going to begin to list them
-Corey Hill is pretty damn crazy
-Diaz and Gamburyan both have a good ghetto freakout
-Diaz wanting to fight Karo was awesome and it was ridiculous to see how full of himself Karo was
-Wanye Weems is literally a sacrificial lamb
-Marlon Sims has like a hundred stories about how awesome he is and fights a guy in the house, slamming his head into the pavement
-And theres Andy Wang a true fucking warrior
Didn't even mention the good stuff...

Fight in the backyard between Sims/Noah was one of the most epic moments in TUF history.

Maynard/Diaz was an incredible fight.

Ping pong match.

Watch it from the beginning

Talent-wise, skip these seasons:

6 (I liked it, but it didn't have much in the way of good fighters)
8 (unless you like stupid antics, though Nog was really likable as a coach)
9 (really weak season with Pearson pretty much being the only quality fighter)
10 (unless you like Kimbo and seeing Rampage act like an ass)
Yea 8 was terrible...

Escudero, Roop, Lawlor, Kingsbury, Magalhaes, Bader, Marshall, K-Sos...

Didn't even mention the good stuff...

Fight in the backyard between Sims/Noah was one of the most epic moments in TUF history.

Maynard/Diaz was an incredible fight.

Ping pong match.

Haha living up to your name

Yea 8 was terrible...

Escudero, Roop, Lawlor, Kingsbury, Magalhaes, Bader, Marshall, K-Sos...

Escudero: got released by the UFC twice
Roop: 3-5 UFC record
Lawlor: I like Lawlor, but he's 5-4 in the UFC, not bad, but not great
Kingsbury: lost 3 straight fights
Magalhaes: I don't know what it is with him, but he just can't seem to hack it in the UFC. He looked rather lost in his last fight
Bader: he's good with the only bad thing being the Ortiz loss
Marshall: he got released from the UFC and then retired. Not sure why you even brought him up...
K-Sos: decent enough fighter, but may have retired/unable to continue

Roop: fought top competition, only person to KO Korean Zombie.

Lawlor: Got robbed against Simpson and Carmont, was dominating Doerkson before somehow getting caught. He should be 8-1 in the UFC.

Kingsbury is on the decline, but he put together 4 straight wins and was on the brink of contendership after losing a close decision to Lawlor.

Marshall: Umm... he beat Magalhaes and under "pride rules" definitely beat Vera. A solid fighter no question.

Roop has a 13-9 career record with his only real good win being KZ from nearly 3 years ago. He hasn't been able to win more than 1 fight in a row in the past 5 years.

Lawlor getting caught by Doerkson isn't exactly something you'd want to bring up considering Doerkson has a 2-7 UFC record. I didn't say Lawlor was bad, just that he isn't great. I think he does have potential, though.

I didn't think that highly of Marshall. He beat Vinny, but that was 4 years ago, and Vinny has improved a great deal since then. I don't remember the Vera/Marshall fight well enough to have an opinion there. But anyways, he retired in 2011 and didn't exactly have a great career, so what is your point? He was another guy who got released from the UFC twice.

Kingsbury is on the cusp of getting released just like all the guys he beat during that win streak.

Outside of Bader and Lawlor I'm not really impressed with any of them. The others have just been disappointing so far. Some of them still have time to turn things around, but until they do, I can't really agree with you trying to act like they're more than what they are. I'm not saying it was on the level of bad like season 9 talent was, but the word that comes to mind is 'disappointing'.

Thanks a lot everyone, I watched season 5 now and it was great. going to watch season 1 and 14 now, thanks for the heads up everybody

Back