New on HBO - The Leftovers (No Book Spoilers)

Loiosh

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just caught the first episode and can't wait for more.

[YT]mN3aHP3lMl0&feature=kp[/YT]

The Leftovers is an American television drama series created by Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta airing on HBO. It is based on Perrotta's novel of the same name. The pilot was written by Lindelof and Perrotta, and directed by Peter Berg. The series stars Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Christopher Eccleston, Liv Tyler, Ann Dowd and Michael Gaston. It premiered on HBO on June 29, 2014.

The Leftovers takes place in the wake of a global "Rapture", which caused the unexplainable disappearance of 2% of the world population. It centers not on the people who were taken, but on the ones left behind, in the fictitious suburban town of Mapleton, New York.

The last few minutes featured one of the most incredibly raw scenes I've seen on television. I've seen more extreme, more brutal, more memorable, but this was pure.

Anyone else catch this show?

What did you think?

Looking forward to more?

not a very good show imo but it starts back up tonight. Will watch since i watched the first season.

Thought it was great.

The acting and directing of this show are top notch (some scenes just fucking hit you right in the feels), but goddamn the writing is terrible.

The lack of a clear plot (and yes I'm aware that it's more about how people deal with it than anything) is just a massive void.

I completely forgot about this show, and goddamn it shonuf, why the hell did you remind me of it?

Seemed decent. I will probably keep watching, and see how it goes. Not really excited about it, but it might be ok.

Lindelof really pissed me off with Lost. I'll just wait until the series finishes and decide whether to watch it or not after.

I'll wait to post my thoughts until I've read the book, and can therefor properly spoil it.

So..... WTF is going on. I didn't know what was going on last season, so they start a whole other plot without any explanation of how it ties into wtf is going on. I'll still watch as I enjoy the show, but they're kind of pulling some lost bullshit right now.

I like the premise. Gonna check it out. The people left behind should feel like jackasses.

I'm interested. They are going to do the whole season as ending with that one day it seems. I've like other shows with this pacing so it could be good. We'll see.

there are more black people in season 2 than one witch i find funny and that mai black guy just does not like new people at all

i liked the trailer, definetly gonna catch up on the episodes

We are missing Justin Theroux's son and the ex wife, but we have the baby he brought home. Weird.

I was thinking throughout the show that I like the black family we were introduced to, but where's the "family" we already know? Then they move in right next door. Solid start imo.

was really interested based on the trailers and then let down by the first episode. I'll give it two more episodes to get interesting, or I'm bowing out.

Explosive first episode. It actually wasn't bad.

At first, I thought I was gonna like everyone in that family, but then the dad pulled that fucked up shit, and wham! We're right back to where we were last season.
So..... WTF is going on. I didn't know what was going on last season, so they start a whole other plot without any explanation of how it ties into wtf is going on. I'll still watch as I enjoy the show, but they're kind of pulling some lost bullshit right now.

Isn't this show done by the same people who did Lost?

I'm coming to grips with the realization that I might never have a clue wtf is going on in this show.

I watched the first episode, and I am not too thrilled. Its just not HBO quality.

I forgot what happened with the white preacher guy at the end of the last season.

Is he a good or bad person. Because the new guy was eyeballing him.

HBO has a high standard for shows, so this may be iffy.. I saw some nice doggystyle action in the commercial (lol) for the show, was that in the first episode??

I was pretty into this show in season one.

But now that it's been like 8 fucking years since the last episode, I forgot what happened and don't really give a fuck anymore.

It's so ridiculous how these shows take 1-2 year gaps between seasons. When you're only running 6-8 episodes a season it's really hard to stick with then over such large gaps.

HBO has a high standard for shows, so this may be iffy.. I saw some nice doggystyle action in the commercial (lol) for the show, was that in the first episode??

Yeah, it's a one second flashback.

I still don't really understand this show, and I still don't think that all of the mysteries in this show are a product of good writing—I actually think it's just writers fucking with us at times; but I still keep watching for whatever reason. I can tell you that this show does not help my depression.

What I've gathered from this show so far: We know nothing, we have no purpose, and maybe we should accept all of that.

Fuck.

The trailers looked a little bland. Like a very boring mystery, that will surely disappoint with a ho-hum result.

I'll check it out, but it just looks so very average. Especially for HBO.

I still don't really understand this show, and I still don't think that all of the mysteries in this show are a product of good writing—I actually think it's just writers fucking with us at times; but I still keep watching for whatever reason. I can tell you that this show does not help my depression.

What I've gathered from this show so far: We know nothing, we have no purpose, and maybe we should accept all of that.

Fuck.

:icon_lol:

That's a rough summation of life. Sometimes I trip out a little when I'm in morning traffic and I look around and realize that 99% of the people I see are wrapped up in work, kids, marriage, the Sunday BBQ etc. They are almost insulated from the sort of thought highlighted above.

We are on a sphere...floating in a black void. The very nature of our existence and reality is so bizarre I almost think its a joke.

I will just point out that this show was not made by HBO. I think it's the first time they have aired a show they didn't create. If memory serves, it was made by WB, which makes a ton of content for the networks.

I'm lagging behind, just finished watching the last 3 episodes. They seem to be building toward something more than just a character driven study of what happens when 2% of the world population disappears. Holy Wayne for example had multiple girlfriends and the one that had the baby girl said in a disappointed way, "its a girl." Wayne had to have been looking for a boy, that's why he had multiple girls pregnant.

So what is the point of that if you are only doing a character driven view of what it would be like if something supernatural happened? The makers of the show are going to have to pony up if they insist on making the story lines intertwine with a bigger idea.

Exactly. I get that this show is meant to be about how people deal with an enormous, insoluble loss, but that is not the mystery that really bugs me. What bugs me is that there are several other mysteries laced through out the show: holy wayne and and his blackasian babies; the random guy telling the asian girl "I know what's inside you"; the national geographic magazine; the sons flashback in ep 1 (or was it 2?) with him talking about college not working out (the flashback showed him jumping off a building). That's just a few mysteries that came to my head this minute. There must be some sort of pay off to some of these mysteries because not all of them are results from the big "where did everyone go" mystery; they should have answers unless all these characters are just insane.

If they're just throwing out unanswerable mysteries left and right to make a point of "sometimes things happen that we can't explain and we need to learn to cope with that" then this is a bit ridiculous and flawed at this point.

I thought it was okay. I'll need to see more before I form a real opinion.

They had the best and most powerful intro any show I've seen. It set a very particular tone of despair, that I thought worked very well. Why the hell did they replace it with this lukewarm stuff?

I was a little upset with the first episode since it felt like a complete disconnect with the first season, but I realize I'm actually intrigued by the new family, and completely ok with the series focusing on fewer people. It feels like it might be a little tighter.

I watched the pilot and it I liked it, but I kind of don't like getting invested in shows with a big single mystery as the premise like this because so many times they draw it out so long and it winds up getting cancelled or is so boring that its not worth hanging around for the end. I'm thinking about waiting til the end of the season to see if there will be a season 2 before I decide.

Haven't seen it, but I'd like to point out that most first episodes of shows suck.

Like the concept of it. If I get some free time I'll check it out. Currently rewatching OZ.

Haven't seen it, but I'd like to point out that most first episodes of shows suck.

Can't say I agree. All series I watched recently had interesting pilots. Everything about this first episode was bland. The acting, the story,the lead characters, the smoking antagonists...

The end was pretty random as well.

oh shit, there was the preview to BE season 5 at the end. last season? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...............................*

Back