New Jersey School Suspends Students For Going to Range with Parents.

@panamaican policy has been amended to

Also the school says this is wrong. Well I spoke to a parent at the school who is friends with the suspended students and the school is lying

https://www.app.com/story/news/education/2018/03/19/gun-rights-lacey-high-school/438930002/

LACEY - The same week that students across New Jersey walked out of their classrooms for stronger gun control measures, Lacey residents expressed fury over allegations that local students were suspended for sharing photos of a firearms training.

The Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs said in a letter to Lacey Township School District's superintendent that school officials took "unlawfully imposed disciplinary action against several students" and violated their First and Second Amendment rights.

The association said the students had shared pictures on social media of "lawful participation in firearms practice and training."

Superintendent Craig Wigley called the claims "incorrect."

"It is important to note ... that we have not had to invoke Policy 5611 for the unlawful use of a firearm by a Lacey student," he said in an email to parents. "The recent rumors and social media posts are not related to Policy 5611 as no student has been disciplined for violating Policy 5611."

Policy 5611 forbids students from carrying weapons or simulated weapons.

Crime: Ex-student from Rumson charged with having bomb materials 'for large scale destruction'

The association objected to wording in the district's policy that prohibited students from having weapons for any reason on or off school grounds. Penalties included an evaluation by the Child Study Team and a recommendation that a student be suspended from school for at least one year, according to the association.

"Both the actions taken against the students, and the Firearms Policy, are in blatant violation of the First and Second Amendments to the United States Constitution and the free speech protections of the New Jersey Constitution," the association's attorney Daniel L. Schmutter wrote in the letter to Wigley.

National School Walkout: Students call for gun control, mourn Parkland shooting victims

Schmutter threatened legal action against the district if officials did not immediately rescind the disciplinary action taken against the students and erase records that suggested they committed misconduct. He also demanded the school district issue a written apology to the students and their families and amend the district's Firearms Policy.

The Asbury Park Press was not able to reach the affected students or families in order to independently verify the association's claims that they were disciplined under this policy.

Wigley said no rights were violated and no students were disciplined or suspended under the policy, but added that its language was clarified in the student handbook.

As of Monday, the student handbook Policy 5611 read that students are forbidden from bringing any type of weapon or simulated weapon to school or on any school bus without written authorization from the district's top official.

The association celebrated the district's move as a victory.

"A policy that allows for discipline of students for exercising a fundamental right off of school grounds is clearly unconstitutional and violates the Second Amendment," the association Sunday wrote in a news release. "A policy that allows disciplinary action for posting a picture of the exercise of that fundamental right off of school grounds also violates the First Amendment.

The association said the students were working with school officials to clear their permanent records of the incident.

Overtly broad policies of the school district have been criticized in the past. Ed Cardinal, whose son attends a school in the same district, said the officials once demanded his son to remove a window sticker of a gun from his pickup truck that he drives to school.

"He was kind of heated about it and so was I," Cardinal said.

They abided by the demands and removed sticker after the district threatened to punish the teen.

Didn't read links. So what are they saying the suspension was under if not this policy?

It's unfortunate because I would have like to see that litigated.

Didn't read links. So what are they saying the suspension was under if not this policy?

It's unfortunate because I would have like to see that litigated.

They are not. However the school district is saying the suspensions will be removed from the students records. It sounds like the school is just trying to weather the storm until people forget about this.

They are not. However the school district is saying the suspensions will be removed from the students records. It sounds like the school is just trying to weather the storm until people forget about this.

That's my thought as well. I can agree with that from their perspective. They don't have anything to gain from fighting it. I still would have liked it to go forward, if only to satisfy my legal curiosity.

Back