NCAA Wrestling

4 time runner up, wow.
Heartbreaking. Fix is an absolute stud. I hope he can go on to get a world title to dry his tears.

Was hoping for Jacori Teemer of Arizona State to get it done in his last shot too. Fellow long islander who won 5 NY state high school titles and at least 1 national title. I'm not sure if he plans to wrestle internationally.

- I've been hoping that there would be some parity in college wrestling. I've been getting tired of the current dynasty that is Penn State. But, then, after Starocci was asked "What sets Penn State's coaching apart from others?" and he answered "While other coaches are here hanging out, our coaches are doing our laundry for us in between sessions, doing what we need to get ready" I though to myself that I can stomach the Penn State dynasty a bit longer.

- I'm not sure all the hate Fix got this week. Who cares if he is 26. Covid made things wonky for eligibility. It's no ones fault. Plus, I feel like if he was a football player, people would be cheering on his decision to stay in school for so long. Heck, with the cost of tuition (and wrestling only getting 9.9 scholarships), I wouldn't be surprised if more top notch wrestlers opt out of college wrestling until they are a bit older and more mature. Grey shirting isn't that unheard of in other sports (or Olympic redshirting). Lastly, I'm impressed he stayed at 133 for so long.

- 4X NCAA champs used to be so darn rare. Now, we saw two last night. I have to assume that this may be due to the amount of high level wrestling high schoolers have access to now a days. Regional Training Centers, copious amount of regional tournaments, and deep youth programs must be a big reason why. Plus, it looks like Starocci is eligible for yet another NCAA run next year.

- I used to show the Gable vs. Owings match during the first week of wrestling practice. I'd mention that the technique they are using back then is the same that wins championships today. But, I must say, they didn't scramble like they do now. Everyone out there looked like Ben Askren wrestling Jake Herbert.

- It's nice to see Little Rock getting a standing ovation.

Heartbreaking. Fix is an absolute stud. I hope he can go on to get a world title to dry his tears.

Was hoping for Jacori Teemer of Arizona State to get it done in his last shot too. Fellow long islander who won 5 NY state high school titles and at least 1 national title. I'm not sure if he plans to wrestle internationally.

Not sure how the cut to 125 is going to be in a few months, the weight is going to be stacked and he's going to have to run the gauntlet to be our rep.

Not sure how the cut to 125 is going to be in a few months, the weight is going to be stacked and he's going to have to run the gauntlet to be our rep.
Maybe Fix should go 65. Sometimes guys get a nice boost when they stop cutting so much. Plus, nobody domestically at 65 has been unbeatable. But at 57 we are assumingly gonna have
Vitali
Gilman
The rep from last year I can't remember his name
Who else?

Maybe Fix should go 65. Sometimes guys get a nice boost when they stop cutting so much. Plus, nobody domestically at 65 has been unbeatable. But at 57 we are assumingly gonna have
Vitali
Gilman
Who else?
Spencer Lee

Vitali
Gilman
Who else?

at 57 you got, Vito, Spencer Lee, Gilman, Seth Gross, Zane Richards, Nashon

at 65 you got Yianni, Nick Lee, Mckenna, Zain Reth

He's a tweener, can you really imagine him in there with Yianni or Zane? I think he's just too small for 65.

If he decides to place his shoes on the mat if he loses the Olympic trials, he can make decent money as an assistant coach somewhere.

If he decides to place his shoes on the mat if he loses the Olympic trials, he can make decent money as an assistant coach somewhere.
I can't think of a single modern wrestler off the top of my head, with the pedigree that Fix has, that didn't keep wrestling after college. And I'm not taking about guys who were really good in college I'm talking about guys with the level of international success that Fix has. The DI season is a grind and being able to focus solely on freestyle has to be intriguing for him.

at 57 you got, Vito, Spencer Lee, Gilman, Seth Gross, Zane Richards, Nashon

at 65 you got Yianni, Nick Lee, Mckenna, Zain Reth

He's a tweener, can you really imagine him in there with Yianni or Zane? I think he's just too small for 65.
Speaking of, a couple years ago I thought Yianni was a lock to be our 65er for years. But since then Zain has pulled ahead. Albeit at 70 kg

Speaking of, a couple years ago I thought Yianni was a lock to be our 65er for years. But since then Zain has pulled ahead. Albeit at 70 kg

Ya, when he beat Punia at Beat the Streets he looked like he was ready to take over at 65. What a difference a few years makes. Trials and Final X are going to be a lot of fun at 65.

Trials coming up and the level of competition is pretty insane. At 57 and 65 pretty much all of the top guys have beat each other. There's new blood coming out of college and even high school. That one HS kid just teched Tomasello. We got Burroughs not getting plugged into the later rounds for the first time since 2017 trials I believe. Dake, Taylor, and Snyder haven't wrestled much since Serbia. Veterans like Gwizz and Dom Bradley along with the new top dog Mason Paris have qualified and I assume will be there. Gable is qualified but I don't know if he's wrestling.

My picks:

57- I obviously think of Vitali Arujau first but he hasn't been as good as this lower weight. I'm gonna go for a wild card and say Suriano takes it

65- with his insane resume I'm still tempted to pick Yianni but Nick Lee has proven he can beat him. However I think this Alirez kid is wrestling really well. I'll go with another dark horse and pick Alirez.

74- as much as I would absolutely love to see Burroughs take it, I think Dake has surpassed him. Dake gets the win and the Olympic gold.

86- Taylor hasn't seemed to decline yet so I'm picking him to win. Aaron Brooks is incredibly good but he'll have his time.

97- I can't even think of a domestic wrestler who has pushed Snyder since Varner. Maaaaybe a fully locked in Jden Cox could take it but Snyder is a damn machine. Oh and btw I'm picking Snyder to beat the new kid on the block that reps Bahrain too. Just like the second time he wrestled that Iranian that had whooped him.

125- Paris or if he shows up, Gable.

Back